S

Sam Powers

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hero UTG w/ $150 stack dealt :9h4: :9s4:

Hero opens $8, folds around, BB w/ $400 stack calls $8.

Flop: :5d4: :6c4: :6h4:
Pot: $17

Hero bets $8, BB calls $8

Turn: :6s4:
Pot: $33

Hero bets $15, BB calls $15

River: :2d4:
Pot: $63

Hero checks, BB bets $30, Hero raises all in for $119, BB folds and shows one card: :5c4:

I've been out of the game for a while and just looking for some criticism of my plays. The BB villian here is a regular at the 1/2 tables and imo is a strong player, tight aggressive, every time I see em he seems to have run up a nice stack. Pretty talkative player who likes to show one card a lot, in his own words he "gets bored with Holdem and starts bluffing too much."

Thanks for the help in advance!

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You opening from UTG is fine for your effective stack. On the flop I would have bet bigger. About 3/4 pot. Now we know that the villain didn't have an AX, but live he would have thought that we represent more Axs in our range. While the villain, would call with more AX (played slow perhaps). Also the villain from the blind has more connectors than us, like 34 and 78, and in this way he could call a big bet.
On the turn I would continue my story and overbet to represent an aggressive AK or AQ. At this point, we should play the hand on every river that doesn't bring an overcard. Since our hand 99 fits perfectly in our playable range, we need to be good one out of every 3 times and with this value we achieve this effect from our opening position.
As played we represent a line of constant value. 1/2 pot was always bet. In the eyes of a competent player this gives him greater security in his fold equity range. When we seek to polarize, we can be more nervous, as if wanting the villain to leave his hand as soon as possible. And in that sense, the villain will be able to expand his range of calls. I'm not sure how tight your villain is. But if he showed you a 5 I'm pretty sure he has image of you as of a very narrow range In this case, polarization can help to enlarge your image of range in textures more dry.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
If you are a solid winning player, it would probably be better for you to top up to, whatever the poker room allows, and not only play with 75BB in your stack. A 4BB open is large but pretty normal for soft live games, and 99 is of course a standard open

Flop
Before even starting postflop play its worth to pause a while and think about, which worse hands you can get value from. First off, and this might sound trivial, you lose to a 6, which he can certainly have, so its not like, you exactly have the nuts here. That means, that for me this is probably mostly a 2 street hand. I do like betting the flop though, because you deny a lot of equity from random overcards like QJ or AT. Or if he call you get value. But apart from that he is probably only going to pay you with 5X, 77-88 and a few draws, and this is important to keep in mind when playing the later streets.

Turn
This was a good and a bad card for you. Its good, because now its more likely, you have the best hand. His combos of 6X are cut in half, and if he was slowplaying 55, then he just got counterfeited. Its also bad though because now he will not pay you with draws, since he is drawing dead to all your value. Since draws will not pay, I lean towards checking back turn and get the second street of value on the river. That allow him to turn his 87 or whatever into a bluff.

River
You can not check, when he is first to act, so what must have happened here, is a donk bet (lead) from him, which you then raised. This is kind of weird, because 2d should not have helped him in any way. So it looks bluffy, and therefore I am not going to fold, even though I said, your hand was mostly a 2 street hand. It does however become more of a 3 street hand with this runout, which is very good for you. I would not raise however, because that should only get action from slowplayed quads, that took a weird river line.

Results
Him donking and then calling a raise on the river with a 5 makes me question, if he is really as good, as you think. He should clearly have checked again and then made a decision, if you bet. You got maximum value in this case, but that was mostly, because he played very poorly, and I dont like your river raise. The rest of the hand is fine though.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River: :2d4:
Pot: $63

Hero checks, BB bets $30, Hero raises all in for $119, BB folds and shows one card: :5c4:

Results
Him donking and then calling a raise on the river with a 5 makes me question, if he is really as good, as you think.
Agree that flop, turn, and river action can't be as described if Hero is UTG and V is in the BB but V does not call the river jam. He just shows one card after folding.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree that flop, turn, and river action can't be as described if Hero is UTG and V is in the BB but V does not call the river jam. He just shows one card after folding.

Ok I missed that obviously. But that only confirm my point, that Hero should call the river donk rather than raise. There is no point in raising the river and getting a worse hand to fold.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

well played all around. I would not expect a regular to flat pocket KK through 10's out of position. Maybe trap with aces but with BB just calling down I'd expect to hear from a slow played monster before the river. I think you got the maximum from a pair of 5's.