$200 NLHE Full Ring: 99 preflop on the button facing a raise and a short stack all in

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$200 NLHE Full Ring: 99 preflop on the button facing a raise and a short stack all in

Live 1/2 game. Button is a regular I have played with a lot. He is a good player and plays his position, raising anything from TJo to AA from the button. He has $350 behind. SB I don't know, but he has bought in like 8 times in 2 hours for $50 at a time. Right now he has $22. I am in BB with $800 behind. Most of the stacks at the table are short as nobody has topped off. I am waiting for a transfer.

One limper
Button Raises to $12
SB all in for $22
I think to myself that button sized his bet so shove would re-open the action.
I raise with 9h 9d to $45
Button 5 bets to $125
I fold

Should I be flatting here hoping button either flats or makes a smaller raise so I can see a flop?

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this can go either way. Folding is also an option, but assuming you call and BTN also just flat calls, you are getting good odds to flop a set, and a decent chunk of the time you are ahead of BTN's range. I don't mind the raise, but it's definitely a raise/fold situation when you get re-raised from BTN. If you flat call, there's a very good chance BTN will come over the top again and give you bad odds.

All in all, not a bad play, but I do think that flatting here is the best play MOST of the time. You're getting a good price and if you get raised on again you can just fold and lose the "minimum". There is an argument for folding here as well, but since SB is only buying in for 22 BBs at a time, he is most likely a recreational player and we are ahead of his range.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your initial read was that the button sized his bet so that the sb short stack shove would reopen the action. If that's the case, the button has a hand he likes. You then made a play that went completely contrary to that read. Flatting isn't terrible, hoping to see a cheapish flop. Based on your read, I think 4 bet/folding is the worst option.

G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your thought on the short stack that is shoving/folding every hand as it could be leveraged to re-pop isolate to punish any that limp behind the shove. But I think this is a spot where you might be out thinking yourself.

Knowing the all-in raise will be to $22 that means it counts as a raise that reopens the action (against any callers of the all-in) if the original open is $15 or less. Given what you have described as stack sizes this doesn't strike me as the 1/2 game that has regular opens to 20-35, that means nothing special about the raise amount by the button, so when he comes back 4bets we should in general be more inclined to believe him, for that reason I like flatting the allin and raising (given stack size probably shoving) back against button raises; puts him in a gross spot with anything less than QQ+ & AK.