$200 NLHE Full Ring: 1/3 Live - Heads up in the BB, flopped bottom 2, line check

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1/3 $500 max buy, about a week ago so some details may be fuzzy / off. I took an alternate line / approach, specifically with sizing since it was a rather rare spot (heads up, limped pot, OOP with bottom 2). Felt exploitatively correct at the time but it may be wishful thinking.

V is Tight, passive, and can get sticky at times. When people play narrow ranges they seem to not like folding as often when they finally get a hand. He's a middle aged reg I've played with before but not for quite some time. Browsing content on his phone while hardly playing hands. Ironically he's still not the tightest player at the table.

Hero has been at this table for about an hour after the last table broke. Has been up and down a bit. Getting run over by the table LAG, missing every draw. Image is probably looser and more gambley than usual but still tighter than all but 3 players. $500 effective.

OTTH: V limps MP and it folds around to Hero in BB with 75hh. Super rare occurance at an otherwise lively table. This V's limping range has us crushed and we're OOP so there's zero thoughts about raising. We x and take a flop.

Flop ($7): Jc 7c 5c
Hero leads for $10. Thought here is that V is too passive to build a pot on a monotone board in general. He's not passive enough to flat JJ pre though as the LAG was to his right and already folded. We are only in trouble if he flopped a flush. V quickly calls.

Turn (~$25): Jc 7c 5c 2h
Hero leads for $25, here is where I expect V to react if he has the flush or even a set (that we mostly block). I don't want to go broke in a limped pot but I feel like we can charge pair + draw hands and especially the Ac and get more calls than we should. Also since it was a limped pot the absolute size of the bet still seems small even though it's full pot. Does it make sense to even overbet here? V does pause this time but still calls without too much ado.

River ($75): Jc 7c 5c 2h 7s
Hero leads for $100. We may have gotten lucky with this river but either way we are pretty much always good here. We've been repping a strong hand, possibly a flush and the board just paired. How large can we go here? I was tempted to say $150 or All in but I just wan't confident we get enough calls. $100 is still a slight overbet and given our line can look like a missed draw sometimes as well. Thoughts?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First I congratulate you on your opening range. You have a combination that few play OOP. But in certain ways this is a benefit, and plus when your image does not match the assignment of this type of range. I think you should be very aggressive on the river. Possibly you can give the impression of being frustrated and this is something that according to what you describe, you could represent by probability of success now.
I think the sizes you chose on the flop and turn were good. Maybe an overbet in the turn can work here too, given the whole situation that happened.
Greetings.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
1/3 $500 max buy, about a week ago so some details may be fuzzy / off. I took an alternate line / approach, specifically with sizing since it was a rather rare spot (heads up, limped pot, OOP with bottom 2). Felt exploitatively correct at the time but it may be wishful thinking.

V is Tight, passive, and can get sticky at times. When people play narrow ranges they seem to not like folding as often when they finally get a hand. He's a middle aged reg I've played with before but not for quite some time. Browsing content on his phone while hardly playing hands. Ironically he's still not the tightest player at the table.

Hero has been at this table for about an hour after the last table broke. Has been up and down a bit. Getting run over by the table LAG, missing every draw. Image is probably looser and more gambley than usual but still tighter than all but 3 players. $500 effective.

OTTH: V limps MP and it folds around to Hero in BB with 75hh. Super rare occurance at an otherwise lively table. This V's limping range has us crushed and we're OOP so there's zero thoughts about raising. We x and take a flop.

Flop ($7): Jc 7c 5c
Hero leads for $10. Thought here is that V is too passive to build a pot on a monotone board in general. He's not passive enough to flat JJ pre though as the LAG was to his right and already folded. We are only in trouble if he flopped a flush. V quickly calls.

Turn (~$25): Jc 7c 5c 2h
Hero leads for $25, here is where I expect V to react if he has the flush or even a set (that we mostly block). I don't want to go broke in a limped pot but I feel like we can charge pair + draw hands and especially the Ac and get more calls than we should. Also since it was a limped pot the absolute size of the bet still seems small even though it's full pot. Does it make sense to even overbet here? V does pause this time but still calls without too much ado.

River ($75): Jc 7c 5c 2h 7s
Hero leads for $100. We may have gotten lucky with this river but either way we are pretty much always good here. We've been repping a strong hand, possibly a flush and the board just paired. How large can we go here? I was tempted to say $150 or All in but I just wan't confident we get enough calls. $100 is still a slight overbet and given our line can look like a missed draw sometimes as well. Thoughts?

Warning: I will analyse this hand as if played online.

Hello my friend c0rnBr34d, I really loved the way you played this hand, thank you very much for posting it.
Without further duo, let's jump into the action:

Preflop BB's checking range

You understand a lot about position and ranges, and you are smart enough to perceive that at lower limits such as 200 NLHE, Passive Tights elects to limp, or limp-call with a decent range, and very rarely 7h5h would be ahed, so don't need to be 'spaz' here with so wide a range, because when players limp they really have faith that they are giving good odds for themselves to call raises, specially if they are IP.

The flop

Your lead on the flop is very thoughtful! Having the information that you gave us, it is the best we can do with our checking range that hits so hard a medium connected flop:
I am total on board with leading versus limping here all two pair and set types, because we are not raising versus limper a 100% of times 55 and 77 (against some NIT's I rather check BB or call when good odds appear).
Anyways, we are leading here versus limper or versus weak open raisor J7, J5, 75, and sometimes 77 and 55. JJ we have none because I believe we would never check from the BB versus limper, unless of course, our common sense indicates there is a real profitable situation postflop, but this is exception, 99% of times we are raising 77+ versus limpers, specially if they limp IP, from HJ, CO and BTN.
Villain quickly calls which is never a good sign, I guess. But we believe that this Villain is passive, not retardad to limp JJ preflop, most likely it had limped AJ, KJ, QJ, JT, maybe all the pocket pairs, but in situation like this we are way ahead!
Depending how passive this player is, it would be calling you here with a lot of Jx, 7x, even some 5x, if it has, straight draws, flush draws and straights sometimes. Depending how passive, we believe that these guys would be raising their nutted hands here! Yes, some crazy dudes "bluff" their very strong value hands, to "appear" that they have nothing. So when this passive calls, it is simply calling draws of clubs maybe, a lot of things its range its vast as the universe.
A more narrowed ranged passive "NIT", would continue here with some Jx and 7x with a club and some strong flush draws. But we really should concern ourselves when someone limps? Let's pray it has AA, KK and QQ that decided to trap preflop by limping! (Just kidding). A NIT would also be raising a flush here, since there is a great chance that BB to have hit a set or two pair and it would be hard to fold, given reasonable sizing.

The Turn:

Since we believe this passive player doesn't have many flushes on its non-sense limping range, and a harmless 2h changes nothing, we must continue to represent our balanced bluffing/value range and charge for protection, because who knows if this Villain is sticky to a club, and will keep holding its club and pay one more street of value. If it doesn't have a club and it comes a club on the river Passive Villain can get very scary with its trashes and traps, and exploitatively fold, for these reasons combined, I am totally on board with your 100% c-bet turn. (i.e good spot for bluffing our value hands when checked from BB)
It makes more sense, polarizes our range (Villain might perceive it as a bluff since we checked preflop, so our perceived range might look even weak 'ish' than its own limping range), either we have a lot of bluffs or we have 'the nuts', or the most strong value hand for the momment and passive player calls, which is awesome since it has an entire galaxy on its range on the turn.

The River

Is very sweet this river and we must be ask ourselves: we don't believe Passive Villain to have many flushes right now, but we pray to the Gods themselves that it has a flush that it decided to "slow play".
Do you believe that, for example, if you check OOP this Villain is capable of checking a weak flush, with I don't know, a weak kicker? Is this Villain able to check-behind nutted flushes with Qc, Kc and Ac? If you believe he is massively passive, you should always bet here and polarizes your range, as you did on the flop and on the turn, to continue your beautiful story which contains all the nuts and all the bluffs, because you are a rational and balanced player.
If you don't hit your Full-House on the river, the same story, keep polarizing because there is great chance of being paid by a huge worst range.
I would only be checking this river if I have pretty sweet information that this player would shove more than usual when I tried to bluff flop/turn and tried to represent a "give up" on the river. Otherwise we are always betting and polarizing, mostly for value now, because there are great odds of us being paid for some Jx here, and not only the flushes that we continue to believe Villain doesn't have a lot, but if it has and if it is a weakish playa, it could even raise river.
Besides you still has some bluffs here, as the missed draws of clubs that could be doing the same line (over leading flop and turn) and again over lead river. I think we might induce a lot of Hero Calls here, so, after all it is a sweet bet on the river.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems solid. $100 doesn't even seem that large at a 1/3 500-max table and I'd bet not many are counting the pot. It also has the added benefit of you being able to just toss a black chip in if you have one (or maybe 4 greens? Or worse case slide an already stacked red stack?) and then even if he knows you bet over the pot it's not obvious that you know it, it just seems you know roughly what you want to bet and made it an even number.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For turn generally I would go for smaller size like 18 because villain range is still much uncapped. But against weak limpers, you can still find an exploitative fold if villain raise behind. Pot size/slightly pot size are ok as these players likely call A high or K high flush draws IP.

River I think your size is good, could still get called by sticky limped AA/KK + made flushes.

Organize a Home Poker Game