$200 NLHE Full Ring: (1/3) NL AJs equity vs. made hand?

T

thuang

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Live cash game 1/3 blinds NL, 8 players at table.

BB (Hero): $200
UTG (Villain): $500 very wide range, straddled this hand ($6)
HJ: $200, tight range
CO: $200, plays loose

UTG(villain) straddles to $6 with 64, 5 players call, BB(hero) raises to $25 with AJ♠, UTG, HJ, and CO call.

Flop: ($107, 5 players)
4♠6♠Q

BB (hero) cbets $50, UTG calls, CO&HJ fold.

Turn: ($207, 2 players)

BB (hero) shoves $125, UTG calls

River: ($457, 2 players)

I'm not sure if I just got cooler'ed or if I shouldn't have taken such an aggressive line. I think I made my own grave trying to force players out preflop to defend the blinds, but am not sure where I could have saved money on the hand.

How would you play this hand?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The mistake is in your sizing. When the entire table has limped in, 50-60$ would be completely reasonable. You need to give people a legitimate reason to fold, not a reason to call and take a flop with you in position and great odds to suck out on you. Chances are 64o go away to a real raise, and then the rest of the hand dont even happen. You either pick up 40$ preflop, which is a fantastic result, or you pick it up with your flop C-bet.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting hand that you publish and with important information about active players.
In preflop an increase x2 of utg, we can estimate in its range up to a top card with medium-low kicker.
In this case, the flop contains implicit probabilities in its favor, since the villain probably pays with a pair, and on the other hand we are blocking the color.
As for the texture of the board, we can think of including double couples in the range of utg, due to its wide style of play as you say.
The villain's call on the flop makes us think he wants to protect some speculative hand like AQ; QK; QT
It seems unlikely that it includes medium-low connectors of the same stick in its range, since it is a dry plate that does not favor it.
In the turn when the villain calls, we should probably include series in his range, because paying a 60% bet with a higher pair is very strange at this time.
Also utg is controlling the size of the boat. At least that impression is perceived by his passive game.
In the river, we can face a monstrous hand. That is, his last movement demonstrates a lot of strength in his rank.
Now in its range there could be aces, reyna games, color, etc.
Following this line, check would have been a good option for this place.
Greetings.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with fundiver199 that if you want to force people out pre as stated, you have to bet much bigger. As played, I wouldn't c-bet that flop because 4-way, someone is likely to have a good piece of it and your fold equity is gone. Try to get cheap cards and just fold if someone bets enough to deny your draw equity.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with everyone, the preflop raise is too small. 6 players called $6 plus you $6 BB makes $45 in the pot and your raise $19, not even half pot. AJs is merely OK heads up out of position, so you need to raise at least something close to pot (make it $50) and $75 is even better.

As played, the c-bet is too small too. With a flush draw you want to get it in now when you have to draws to your outs. As the cards lay it wouldn't make a difference, I think Villain calls or shoves a pot sized bet. Villain's 2 pair is 2/3 favorite on the river, given that she is ahead, and has 4 outs to the boat. Villain flopping 2 pair is something of a cooler.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a bit of a cooler, but agree you should have sized up a bit. I probably would have raised to 18 plus another straddle amount for each caller. That comes to 48...so right around what fundiver came up with. At that point, if they call and hit...it is what it is. You're always getting it in on that flop.

I do have a tough time playing tables like that one. Basically if you hit hands, you get paid off big time and will have all the money really quick. But if you don't, it ends up being a fairly slow bleed because there's 4-5 players to every flop. Over the long run, you'll probably do really well at tables like this. But times like this where 6 4 flops the whole world are certainly annoying.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your hand is very bad for a multipot. I would have refused the continuation bet and tried to get a cheap turn card. In case of failure of this plan - fold.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands