$200 NLHE Full Ring: $1/$3 NLHE Can I bet a maniac and fish off draw?

V

vwpokernut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1/$3 NLHE

My image is completely nitty, been picking my spots and playing short-stack poker

My stack is the effective one at $300 effective, two others that come along to flop have $600, both are drawing fish gamblin degens

I am in mp with 56s, two referenced calling anything to see flop regardless, and others fold regardless so I have just been min-raising

Flop comes out A J 4 all spades so I flop the flush

utg leads out for 20, + 1 calls for 20, I figured one had flush draw and one had straight draw or just top pair

This is where my questions begin

I raise it to $100 to try to deny equity and get out draws

They both call

Turn is a spade

UTG shoves and +1 calls

I fold

What would y'all have done in this spot?

Call the 20, and shove any non spade turn?

Shove my 220 for the 80 in the middle?

Raise to x then fold any spade?

et cetera

SPOILER

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

utg had jacks, one spade

+1 had queens, one spade

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think you played it fine. You could raise a little more on the flop, and then shove any non spade turn, but $100 is fine. Sometimes you're going to get drawn out in those spots, and that's the danger of playing low suited connectors.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it fine your going to win versus these guys in the long run in that same situation

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't think your 56s connector is worth the 33 blind raise on the flop for equity denial. It's a very weak flush and at least one of your gambling degen villains will almost always be chasing a flush here with a decent spade. I would call the flop and fold on the next spade to be dealt unless you are looking at a straight flush draw. In this case you were not and you're mostly looking at getting beat after the turn.

V

vwpokernut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
really appreciate it all your replies

looking back on it, while I want to deny equity with my raise in a lot of situations, with me raising it to 100, when the spade bricks off they may just go for it considering there is so much money in the pot....

one reason I am saying that is because I played with one of the players again today and, after I ran a bluff, against another player, he goes damn if I was in that hand no way am I folding, already too much money committed in pot!

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure what was in the flop preflop. 3 min raises and the blinds for $22 less rake? Let's go with that. After the raise, over call and Hero's call there is $82 make Hero's $80 raise pot sized

Once Hero sees a shove and over call he has to fold. Hero has seen 6 cards all spades leaving 7 spades of the 45 unseen cards, making it ~60% one of the Villains has a spade. One might be bluffing but not both.

I plugged the hands into PkCruncher. There is a small problem in the description. There can't be a J of spades on the flop since villain has one so I used a ten of spades. Hero is a 20% dog pre, an 80% favorite on the flop and a 5% to drawing dead dog on the turn. Even against 2 random 20% hands hero is a75% favorite. Absolutely needs to raise the flop. Pretty good play given the board..

Given villain's hands, Hero is lucky he didn't face a raise or re-raise from QQ pre-flop and especially on the flop. Against two 25% hands QQ is a 50% favorite on the flop. I would have reraise QQ to $80 and Hero would have to shove and face a call from at least QQ. As played Hero lost the minimum.

That's poker for you.

Last edited:
G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like shoving here. You already have it, they are going to call with worse so often might as well get the most when you can. If eff stacks were 1k then i better like the raise to 100, but with eff stacks less than 500 I think the shove is the way to go

Last edited: