$200 NLHE Full Ring: 1/2 Live: Bad Call or Cooler?

B

BossYac

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Posting a hand from a house game I play:

Hero is on BTN with :qs4::qh4:. Effective stacks of ~$250 which is my stack.

Pre-flop:
UTG opens for $14, UTG+1 calls, fold to BTN and I make it $50. Both players call.

Flop: :8s4::6d4::2s4:Pot: $150
Action checks to BTN, I bet $65. UTG goes all-in, UTG+2 folds. BTN calls

I don't have too much info on the Villain as this was just third hand on the table. I didn't properly think my action through to put the Villain on a range, which is something I need to work on. What would you do in this position? What range would you put an unknown on based on the action?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

UTG shows :kh4::kd4:. I feel that I should know that I'm beat here a majority of the time as the only hands shoving are overpairs that beat me. There is a small chance that he could've had pocket Jacks, or :as4: :ks4: .

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all the preflop raise is on the small side of the spectrum should make it 3x the original raise + 1 extra for each limper making it 4x14 is around 64. You normally wont fold out many hands with the smallish raise.

As they did not 4 bet it is less likely that they have AA-KK (although AA could trap KK is more likely to 4 bet here). His range looks like a good over pair JJ+ or a set or a flush draw with over cards (you having the Q of spades removes some of the possible flush draws with over cards).
Due to the fact that AA and KK are not likely I would tend to call this all-in and if they have AA or KK would make a mental note that the villain is capable of slow playing AA-KK preflop.

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seeing the reveal I would like to point out that due to the smallish raise AJs and ATs are also a possibility.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think sizing on the 3-bet is a bit small, but at live 1/2 (which was my game for a long time) people are going to call 64 just as quickly as the would call 40 or 50. If they like the hand their going to play it baring a jam or something massive like making it 100 or something.

I am not as afraid of AA,KK here as i am of 88, maybe 66. A lot of times AA, KK is just going to get 4-bet jammed.

The pot odds here are something like were calling 135ish to win 350ish so slightly better than 2-1.

Against a c-raise jam on this board i think i can find a fold, we are actually loosing to AsKs with the flush draw and 2 overs to our pair, as well as AA, KK, and 88. The only thing we really beat is JJ, TT and i think that is pretty unlikely. Even versus AsJs, AsTs, we aree only a 57-43 favorite which is essentially a flip.

Easy fold when the all of this is considered.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're getting at least 2:1, and we have ~40% equity. This is an easy call.

This is why you hide the results, everyone gets all results oriented. With the SPR of 2:1.5, a big overpair is a must-ship.

ProPokerTools Hold'em Simulation
35,640 trials (Exhaustive)
board: 8 6 2
QsQh 41.48% (14,312 wins, 945 ties)
AsKs, AsJs, 88, 66, 22, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA 58.52% (20,383 wins, 945 ties)

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it is semi-wishful thinking to be giving villain TT, JJ, AsJs. I have played a lot of 1/2 live, and feel comfortable saying that even agro-donks (at least the variety found near me:D:D) aren’t going to c-raise those combos, they are going to donk-lead this flop with all 3.

If you take out those 13 combos we are basically left with AsKs, AA, KK, 88, 66, maybe 22 and we are losing to all of them and have 2 outs versus all but 1.

As for being results oriented, I can’t even see the spoilers (something weird about my chrome browser? If anybody could suggest a fix pm me pls.:confused::confused:) So I can only assume that we lost because of the title. (and I’m still recommending folding even if it was called “Just made call of century with overpair.”)

Also just out of curiosity, when you say “house game” is it just poker night in Bill’s garage, or something being run professionally in somebody’s house?:D

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think some players could aggressively check raise TT,JJ at this spot if they think you would cbet with any 2 overcards. I am inclined to fold if you have a solid image.

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would depend on the spr but it's a 3 bet pot so it's probably not super high. I think the call is fine.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop its the minimum 3bet but it's still ok, your cbet is just too small 1/3 pot it's not much u look like u missed the flop i dont know if that was your intention but it doesnt look like from what u r saying. you opened the door for a raise there his range is very very wild what is for sure is that he does not have KK or AA. for me it's a call, u r only beat by sets so only 3 hands there. i dont see any reason of folding. now i go see the spoiler, man this guy played it very tricky going on a 3 way pot with KK he did not 4 bet u preflop. for me it was played right i dont see any fold out there u have to call the shove

Organize a Home Poker Game