$200 NLHE 6-max: Line check, 3 bet pot with river decision

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre seems standard, pot sized raise but I guess we could go slightly larger. We flop a gutter backdoor and two overs, cbet seems fine. We pick up the nut flush draw on the turn. Sizing too small here? I don't think I'd bomb it with a flush though so I kept it modest. We miss the strong draws but pick up decent showdown value on the river. Since we block flush draws do we x/call here? Are we folding to a jam? We aren't deep enough to bet / fold and jamming first seems like we only get called by better. What's the best river play? Bet small and call any raise?

PokerStars - $2 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 229.87 BB
CO: 101.5 BB
BTN: 98.5 BB
SB: 37.22 BB
Hero (BB): 107.49 BB
UTG: 233.03 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A Q

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero raises to 10 BB, BTN calls 7 BB

Flop: (20.5 BB, 2 players) J T 8
Hero bets 9.74 BB, BTN calls 9.74 BB

Turn: (39.98 BB, 2 players) 3
Hero bets 23 BB, BTN calls 23 BB

River: (85.98 BB, 2 players) A
Hero ???

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think flop is a check cause it connects a lot with BTN's flatting range

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Why do you say pre is standard? Readless AQ is a flat vs 3x open, even if BB vs BU, I mean what if BU is a nit? Even if BU r/c, we'll be OOP in a huge 3bet pot, and if BU 4bets we're hating life. I'm assuming we're not stacking off readless pre.

P: readless flat, if you're going to 3bet then make it 12bb.

F: as played, horrible spot, OOP in bloated 3bet pot and flop sucks, hitting everything in villain's pre r/c range.

I don't understand your cbet sizing: nothing is folding if we're bluffing, and surely we're not value-betting, so what does sizing mean on nightmare flop?

Cbet bigger 75-100% of pot and evaluate, I would pot/evaluate.

T: as played, are we bluffing or value-betting? Are we bet/stacking off? I would just check/call to realize my equity.

R: as played, check/call vs small bet, check/fold vs jam. If we bet the only sizing that makes sense is a jam (56bb eff behind in 86bb pot) and it would be a bluff.

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flatting a hand like AQo being OOP is rare in cash games. We are blocking 50% of AA and QQ combos. We may even be willing to bluff, adding these types of hands in a 4-bet range, being we IP. This is most effective when our image is tight. If we were wider the villain could adjust his range of calls and in that case we would be at a disadvantage. I think 3-bet is correct here.
The flop is good for the villain, as he has all the medium-scale connectors typical of the BTN position. However, we want to deny equity to those pesky hands that could improve on the turn and river. So a bet can do it. But we don't want a very large size either, since we have good blockers that help us defend the turn at a high frequency.
As played on the flop, the turn has a proportional impact on the ranges. I like the x / c line, because now we unlock the Kc, which is good for this texture, because if we decide to raise his bet, we have all the Ac-x combos in our bluff range, while we unlock for the villain 3 combos of AKo with the Kc, for which the V is far superior in equity. And regarding the hands that we consider in V OTF as 9x; 8x and 7x, we now compensate with our FD + GS.
On the river I check, for that V to bet with random hands like QJ and KT. Our range does not change on the river, so we have good form for all of his bluffs.
Greetings.

Last edited:
C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Why do you say pre is standard? Readless AQ is a flat vs 3x open, even if BB vs BU, I mean what if BU is a nit? Even if BU r/c, we'll be OOP in a huge 3bet pot, and if BU 4bets we're hating life. I'm assuming we're not stacking off readless pre.

P: readless flat, if you're going to 3bet then make it 12bb.

F: as played, horrible spot, OOP in bloated 3bet pot and flop sucks, hitting everything in villain's pre r/c range.

I don't understand your cbet sizing: nothing is folding if we're bluffing, and surely we're not value-betting, so what does sizing mean on nightmare flop?

Cbet bigger 75-100% of pot and evaluate, I would pot/evaluate.

T: as played, are we bluffing or value-betting? Are we bet/stacking off? I would just check/call to realize my equity.

R: as played, check/call vs small bet, check/fold vs jam. If we bet the only sizing that makes sense is a jam (56bb eff behind in 86bb pot) and it would be a bluff.
We weren't readless but I didn't include stats for V, my fault.

VP 23 / PR 17 / AF 2 / 3B 8 / F3B 85 / RAF 2 (1.1k Hands)

Pre - AQo is crushing a button raising range here I don't understand your suggestion to flat even readless. Also when we see he's folding 85% to 3 bets it would be criminal not to 3 bet given reads.

Flop - We can adjust our cbet size in 3 bet pots. Maybe I can understand your reluctance to 3B if you want to cbet 75-100% so often. I get tons of folds for even 1/3 sizing in 3B flops so 1/2 pot here doesn't seem bad. If it was a single raised pot I'd be more in agreement.

Turn - Yes, the plan was to bet call with the nut flush draw, gut shot to the nuts, and overs.

River - How small is small? As you mention the max bet is 56BB.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you checking your whole range on this texture in this spot?

I'm honestly not sure of this spot. I might just steal your hand to post in another group lol
When the next poster opted for a large bet I actually liked it. I feel like betting smaller might be the least fav option.
Again I'm not sure. Ac makes it a good xc hand & I'd rather bet with no flush blockers I think

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Button could be wide here and their fold to 3bet% is high at 85 based on what you recently posted so I like the 3 bet here. I call too much in these spots and its a leak of mine so I like that you pull the trigger here and 3 bet. On the flop I also like your play. The flop relatively blows for us but we 3 bet pre so I think we should be continuing the story a vast majority of the time. Villain will fold to a 8BB cbet here just as much as a 12BB cbet here. Maybe 15BB or so is an inflection point where there are more folds but I dont want to make this pot huge, I just want to see if I can get an easy fold. I would probably have gone 8BB here but your sizing is basically the same.

The turn I disagree with as I think it is too large. I think we should be betting about 16BB here as I want to still lead in the hand but also dont have to commit to it yet (not saying 23BB commits us but it pushes us more in that direction and we can also more easily fold to a raise here if it happens). 16BB also would be giving us a somewhat cheap price to hopefully catch a 4th club on the river and it also would make the pot (if villain calls) at 72BB with villains stack at 64BB. This sizing would still allow us a under pot jam on the river if we can catch a club. If villain raises here I would be folding.

As played on the river I would be bluff catching and check call here. I think villain has one pair a lot of the time that they may check behind here but they also might turn their Jx into a bluff putting us on KK or QQ since we checked the ace.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Many better players have posted on this, but I like 300HPGOD and gustav197poker's analysis.

3b is standard value- it allows us to add more bluffs to our range which we def want against a V with a high F3B. The slightly smaller works for that reason, since we plan to be doing this a lot.

Flop does hit V's range- I know I have trouble with these spots. As mentioned Ac is a good reason for cbetting here.

Turn- if we aren't using this for a XR all-in bluff, what are we using?
(genuine question, I am curious!)

River- I agree with a check-call there, although if V is passive with a decent WTSD then a 1/4 pot works (at least is does at 10nl, LOL!)

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Turn- if we aren't using this for a XR all-in bluff, what are we using?
(genuine question, I am curious!)
TBH the turn CRAI didn't factor in much at all. Maybe it should have but against a guy with an aggression factor of 2 it seems risky. If he checks behind and we miss I'd expect to get called often on river bluffs and we aren't strong enough to x/c since this board does hit a calling range so it feels like we'd have to give up too often. Does seem like a good spot for it vs a more aggressive opponent!