$200 NLHE 6-max: Kings pocket like bluff catcher in the river

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this hand I find myself in the BTN and I am handed Kh-Kc, I face the Co. This player is probably a LAG, usually proposes strong actions, when he takes the initiative. That's why I think of an induction from the preflop. I have not modified my perceived game structure, nor have I made any obvious adjustment, with respect to the form it had been taking, during this day that I commented.
Previously I had some preflop clashes with this villain, and we just quit. So I have a weak range image, against 3-bets and 4-bets in preflop, taking position.
So this sequence is designed based on preliminary statistics, which the villain has about me. And the victories that PF had.
Co makes a standard opening at 2.5 BB. We make 3-bet at X 2.7 times the increase of the villain. This amount is designed based on the previous times, that we increase your bet on PF. On these occasions, the villain made us 4-bet being V out of position. So we wanted to induce an increase. The goal was to create a trap from this place. The villain calls and we go all flop.

Flop: Qd 2c Tc Boat: $ 20. (2 players).
Villain check. I make a standard 1/3 cbet of the pot and villain called. Against this player, at first I thought about making a bigger size. But my rank blocked the AK combinations; Q-K and K-J. And possibly some small pocket, decide to leave in this place. In addition, one of the strongest combinations, which villain could have in his range, was A-Q. And probably this line, would look out of position for an increase, to block the color line that appeared on the board. Also villain could have A-T, so I thought to pronounce a standard size. Villain called and we went on the turn.

Turn: Qd 2c Tc Ah Boat: $ 49
We both checked. There wasn't much sense in betting. Any defense could shoot with Ax, 2 pairs, or even a set of ten. We remain in position with a defensive line. Villain could still keep Q-J in its range, and if I place a bet, I could turn it into a bluff, which would put me in a complicated situation, considering that we are now OPP.

River: Qd 2c Tc Ah 8c Boat: $ 49
Villain comes forward and makes a bet of 40% pot size. We are not happy to block the flush now, because this bet almost always means strength of value. In fact, the chosen size is misleading and many times the villain with this bet is inciting an induction. So now, v probably bet on Ax or double pairs at least. It is a difficult situation, but we decided to turn our hand into a semi bluff receiver. We can be wrong but we have an reasonable price, considering the whole hand.
I would like to know your opinion about this hand in general. Any comments or advice will be welcome for me.

Here the hand link:
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/1qdPqk5

Regards.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good evening my friend gustav197poker it is really great to see you are posting more hands.
I'd love to comment it right off the bat, but I found a very complicated spot, because I have no ideia how the population plays 200 NLHE today.
I never played, so I don't know if I should comment your hand. If you say it is okay, I will make a research and then comment. If not, no problem at all, because I am not qualified to give opinion on this subject (200 NLHE).
I fear I can commit a lot of mistakes and not help you at all. However from 100 NLHE and under I feel a little bit more comfortable. I don't play 100 NLHE but I made a Cash Course to play 100 NLHE, so I have some ideias about how the field thinks. However, 200 NLHE is a mistery to me.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice hand. I like your line here. I think I play it the exact same way. If I were V I would check river or pot it, the 40% blocker bet seems like the worst option. Ax, straights, and flushes all got there. 2 pair and sets can play his line too (hoping that you continue to bet turn). He likely knew he had to bet to win but didn't apply enough pressure. Good call. We will lose at showdown here sometimes but for this price I think described V has enough KQ, QJ, JJ, JT, type hands to make up for the times we are beat.

Online sizing is typically smaller than live so this may be optimal as I haven't played 200NL before. Looking forward to comparing 1/2 live and 200NL one day. As such I would have gone for a slightly larger 3 bet in position if playing live, but again your sizing could be standard and perfect for online.

Last edited:
K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your play all the way around. Seems like an easy call. JT makes a ton of sense for villain. well played.