200 NL: Well Played or just Lucky? (or both?)

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hand before I raised 4BB. I was called by one person. I had 10,10. And ace hit the flop and we checked the hand down. He won with a Q.

What do you think about Pre flop play in hand below?
What do you think about Post flop play in hand below?

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)
SB ($118)
Hero ($273.95)
UTG ($305.05)
MP ($157.80)
CO ($151.35)
Button ($408.85)
Preflop: Hero is BB with J
heart.gif
, J
spade.gif
UTG calls $2, 3 folds, SB raises to $10, Hero calls $8, UTG calls $8.
Flop: ($30) J
diamond.gif
, 7
diamond.gif
, 4
spade.gif
(3 players)
SB bets $18, Hero calls $18, UTG raises to $36, SB calls $18, Hero raises to $263.95, UTG folds, SB calls $72 (All-In).
Turn: ($282) 4
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
River: ($282) 7
spade.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
Final Pot: $282

SB has Ad Kd (two pair, sevens and fours).
Hero has Jh Js (full house, jacks full of sevens).

T

TheReaper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind the call preflop. Everybody's different and some will be aggressive, but with another person to act behind you I don't mind just calling to see if you hit. If you do you've disquised your hand well, if not you can let them go pretty easy.

Post flop, I don't know that I'd have pushed all in there. I think I'd have just reraised to see what happens. The flush draw is scary but you've got a big hand now and pushing all in potentially cost you some earnings.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope you marked SB as a super fish to go all in with ace high.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can 3-bet pre-flop here. Love the flop play, nice hand.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have 2 other people that at least mildly like their hands. i think i'd 4bet this as well, but to like 85 or something, hoping that we get more people coming along or even shoving over us.

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that. It's 6 handed and he flopped 6 overcards with the nut flushdraw. He got something like 4 to one on his money (too lazy to do the math, but I guess that's about right), which makes this a easy call.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can 3-bet pre-flop here. Love the flop play, nice hand.

Agreed - way to trap that dead money.

Two overcards + the nut flush draw is something I'd happily get my stack in with. He'd be a favorite over QQ there (if only just).

I think the one who should be labeled a fish is utg with his minraise-fold lol

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have 2 other people that at least mildly like their hands. i think i'd 4bet this as well, but to like 85 or something, hoping that we get more people coming along or even shoving over us.

I agree with your line Joose, somehow I'm more close to your way of playing these big hands, trying to maximize value and taking a certain degree of risk to get it (lmao, great minds think alike? :) ).

That's just it with this hand though, it's about risking. Leaving behind results of the hand and who had the diamonds, lets focus on the flop. Not shoving, admittedly, leaves better odds to all drawing hands (because of pot being 3-way), and the way the betting has gone on a J74 board, 1 of the villains almost has to be on a FD. Shoving is a great way to price it out. On the other hand, raising it to $85/$100 pretty much still means playing for stacks, because the rest should go in on the turn, but it has a better chance than the shove to get more money in, and if you're lucky, as Joose says, you might get shoved on.

So the question becomes: Raise it leaving tempting odds (so kind of slowplay it) to get a huge pot going, or shove to get the big stack to fold/draw incorrectly?

I don't think the answer to this is as simple as most might think it is. Common sense is that if we leave proper odds to draws we are the ones making a mistake, and that's true. But in this case our hand can improve to better than a flush. On a 4 to a flush flop, a flush draw is 35% to hit, but here not all outs are clean. Vs a set, a flush draw is only 25% to win from flop to river, and about 16% from flop to turn.

If Caliban raises this to $100, the first villain will have odds of a little more than 3 to 1 to call, and because he's ~16% to hit a clean out, his call would be incorrect. Of course that doesn't account for:

1) IO, because stacks behind us are big

2) 2nd villain has a small stack so he'll likely call at that point making odds much better now for 1st villain

3) if a diamond hits the turn we will throw our PC out the window, in our backyard, severely injuring our dog in the process (adding vet costs to this hand).

There is no garantee that the turn all-in will be called, because we have enough stack left to price him out of a draw, but we made more value than having him fold (and as Joose said he might shove his big stack on the flop to our raise).

I believe the biggest problem is point #3, if a diamond hits the turn. It puts us in a difficult position to play the rest of the hand, and it will likely force us to fold if villain plays it fast not giving us odds for a redraw. But keeping in mind that the chance of a clean diamond coming is 16%, I usually take this type of risk just about every time. The reward is a much bigger pot and probably villain's whole stack.

Am I totally wrong with all this? Is risk vs reward worth this type of play? Or not?

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some good comments here. Thanks.

I agree its about risk/Reward.

As they say - one in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, and hjoes comments about tilt from slowplaying was definately at the back of my mind. My limp preflop and then call on the flop is about about a slow play as you will see me do on a flush draw board. ( maybe I am losing value - but I reduce future tilt too )

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well the likely move here isnt a cold call. keep in mind, he wants to see 2 more cards. i doubt we EVER see a cold call of $100 from someone with a flush draw. i say we raise to ~90ish. if we get a call it's more likely set over set/setvsoverpair with us winning.