Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$1/$2
Table Format
Full (8-10 seats)
Currency
$
Sitting in the SB with $170 in a Live $1/$2 cash game.
UTG Villain (hasn't been at the table for long, so no read) limps
Button limps
SB Hero has JJ and decides to limp
BB checks
we see the flop 4 ways with $8 in the pot.

Flop 9C 3H 2D
Hero bets $10
BB calls
Villain calls
Button calls
there is ~$45 in the pot.

Turn is the TS
Hero bets $20
BB folds
Villain raises to $40
Button folds
there is $105 in the pot and the Hero has $138 behind...

What should Hero do?
Call the raise and hope to get to showdown without seeing a Q, K or A on the river?
Fold?
Go all in?

What assumptions would you make about Villain's hand based on the action?

Thanks in advance for your response!

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't have experience with live cash games or cash games in general, but I would be concerned UTG, may have a set or also an over pair. I would still call because I have an over pair. What happened?

M

mblmusic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I figured UTG couldn't have an overpair because he didn't raise preflop or on the flop. I went on to think that the only likely hands he would raise with would be AT or KT. Based on that I went all in figuring that calling gave too many chances for a Q, K or A to hit on the river. UTG called, showed down AA and won. I figured I was trapping with JJ and got trapped by AA.
I posted because I think my reasoning was pretty shallow and wanted to get other opinions. Thanks for responding.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise pre-flop. Limping here is really bad.
Bet $6 on the flop. No idea why you're over betting.
Fold the turn. No 1/2 player is min raising you there multi-way without 2 pair+. They have 9T, or a set most likely. Ez fold in that spot. Don't limp next time. :)

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don't have specific of limper opener readings like you claim, you should never play passive in a situation like this. Because you are letting a good hand weaken that could beat a lot of hands that any live 1/2 player could have.
On the flop did you want to bet less? I understand that you could have made a mistake in choosing the color of the chip (I have had that mistake).
The flop is very dry and you make life more enjoyable for your opponents when you bet a big size, because they will fold their dominated value hands and only continue with the ones that beat you.
The turn is another absolute brick and doesn't change the dynamics much. But if your villain called your overbet it's no wonder he wants to continue now that you've slowed down a bit.
The size of the raise that the V chooses OTT is almost mocking, so I would lean towards an exploitative fold.
The most critical moves were to complete the blind with JJ and then overbet on MWB with a very dry flop.
Sometimes passive play preflop is justified when you are at a very aggressive table.
Greetings.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much to add except to keep an eye out for UTG limp re-raise plays. I think you lose much less if you raise pre and get 3B. Even if you continue you’re never raising without a set with this run out. Also wanted to reiterate when you take a strong line where you bet, bet and get raised on the turn one pair hands become essentially bluff catchers. There’s no flush draw here and it’s super rare for the tiny straight draw to call pre and then bluff turn against this action. I’d put V on 2 pair and I may make a speculative call for that price and call down if it pairs 2s, 3s, and x/r if we hit the J but folding is probably even better. If you take anything from this thread though raise JJ pre in that spot 100%. You’re in the worst position multi way with dead money in the pot and a strong hand. And even in this case when you’re being trapped it still may save you money.