I re raised to $50

Flop comes Ace X Queen
He checks, I check

King comes on turn
He checks, I check

River is Queen
He bets something like $50
I fold

Where did I go wrong? Should I not have re raised? I forget positioning of hand.
Should I have raised on flop because that flop hits my range pretty well?

Ugh fml
Any input appreciated
Thanks

722Wade722

722Wade722

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Depends on your position, a 5x open is kinda large, their 3-bet, depending on position, would indicate to me Premium pocket pairs, AK or AQ. At least that’s how I’d read it. It’s also pretty rare at any stake for me to open 5x and if I do I have one of the top 3 pocket combos, but even then, I’ll open 2.2 -3x and go from there.

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your position, a 5x open is kinda large, their 3-bet, depending on position, would indicate to me Premium pocket pairs, AK or AQ. At least that’s how I’d read it. It’s also pretty rare at any stake for me to open 5x and if I do I have one of the top 3 pocket combos, but even then, I’ll open 2.2 -3x and go from there.
Oh dang okay. I have trouble remembering, but I think there was at least 7-10$ of limps and or blinds on the table before that guy raised to $20. I could be making that up, but I don’t remember the raise being large or out of the ordinary

722Wade722

722Wade722

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Oh dang okay. I have trouble remembering, but I think there was at least 7-10$ of limps and or blinds on the table before that guy raised to $20. I could be making that up, but I don’t remember the raise being large or out of the ordinary
Sorry I think I mis read, I thought you opened $20. If they checked down, on the turn your hand improved, maybe put out a smaller bet to size them up and go from there. My mistake originally :)

722Wade722

722Wade722

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The reason I would shoot a bet, his check with AQX shows they at least don’t have an A, you’re check is ok. K hits they check, this would put them at best on Qx, you betting your now straight out in addition to another T, shows at least you’ve connected with the board. With a K hitting and a little bet, if they had Qx, they may put you on at best Kx and puts them in a limited out scenario.

Just my interpretation and how I’d think it through.

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason I would shoot a bet, his check with AQX shows they at least don’t have an A, you’re check is ok. K hits they check, this would put them at best on Qx, you betting your now straight out in addition to another T, shows at least you’ve connected with the board. With a K hitting and a little bet, if they had Qx, they may put you on at best Kx and puts them in a limited out scenario.

Just my interpretation and how I’d think it through.
Very helpful to hear. Thanks!

722Wade722

722Wade722

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For fun and and analyzing/learning purposes, what hand(s) would you (or anyone else) put the villain on and why? I’ll start.

Primarily Q9s. It’s enough to raise some of the limpers out and the only logical QX to call the 3 bet to hope for a potential flush/straight. I kind of explained above why I thought they had a Q. AQ most likely would have bet flop and turn. QK would have bet turn. QJ is also possible but they have a better likelihood to bet turn with the now straight draw.

The other less likely possibility is AJ. Given your 1/4 buy in 3 bet AJ may not have bet flop or turn giving respect to AK/AQ. With checks on both flop and turn, they now have top pair straight draw so safe to bet river. I say this hand is less likely as top pair tends to lead turn if not flop.

Last edited:
S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Tens are a hand that you flat or raise pre, but if you are going to 3bet than it needs to be at least 3x to get some fold equity. I would probably flat when original raiser makes it so big as they probably have a decent hand

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Did you have an indication of how the Villain played? To 3bet blind with just TT is a loose line by you if you didn't know the Villain's style.
If the Villain was tight his initial I0bb open has to be taken seriously.
As the RFI player the flop hit his range pretty hard too. He called a 3bet and that call indicates strength
A range like 88+, AK, AQ, suited aces, KQs and QJs has you dominated on the flop so checking down was correct.
It looks like he was worried about the flopped Ace so he possibly had a weak Ace suited, JJ, KQs QJs.
His checking would indicate a tight player
When he value bet the river his Qx was good.
Or if was loose and your checks showed weakness he may have just been betting an obvious scare card as a bluff.

Last edited: