$20 NLHE Full Ring: $ : Is it ok to flat AQo on BUT vs UTG open?

J

Jaywizzlez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So I played a hand in my Poker club(20NL, 10-handed) and wasn't sure if my preflop action was the best. Looking for input and feedback, thanks!

UTG ($24.57)
UTG+3 ($15.76)
HJ ($25.00)
BUT (HERO) ($25.08)
SB ($80.41)
BB ($22.08)

UTG raises to $1.00
UTG+3 calls
HJ calls
Hero Calls with AdQs <- Should I be 3-betting here? In the moment I called because I felt the UTG raising range was strong. But my big offsuit hand doesn't play too well multi-way. Looking back, I guess hands like SCs and Pocket pairs are better as calls here. Maybe the AQo is a good hand to 3-bet along with AK and my premium pairs?

BB Calls

Flop $5.10 Qc 3h Ac

UTG bets $2.57
UTG+3 folds, HJ folds
Hero(BUT) raises $5.94
BB folds
UTG calls

Turn: $16.98 5d

UTG checks
Hero(BUT) jams all in for $17.54
UTG calls

If anyone is interested in how the hand played out, it's the 4th hand in my Hand Review Video that I posted here:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the villains. If you think a raise can get you heads up then I like betting here to try to thin the field. If you think villains are sticky then I lean towards calling here and just seeing the flop in position. You have to take into account the blinds too on if they are 3 bettors or will tend to just call. Being that you said this is your poker club you probably know the villains quite well and have a lot of hands on them and I would let what I know about them dictate what I would do in this spot. Also if UTG is super nit then folding isnt terrible but I still think I would want to see a flop getting that price assuming we know that no one behind us will be raising.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
If noone else had called, then I would lean toward just calling, because when you 3-bet AQ against an UTG open, most people tend to play rather well against it. However with two field callers, whom I assume both have way to wide ranges, you are much more incentiviced to 3-bet to essentially attack all that dead money in the pot.

Flop
Great flop for you obviously, and I would just call here. You are in position, so you can just take over the betting, if UTG checks, and I want to give him a chance to continue betting the turn. You can also get value from BB coming along with some weaker holdings.

Turn
As played I guess, its ok to move all in now for a pot sized bet, but by playing so fast you are giving him a great chance to get away from a hand like AJ, which is now drawing dead against you. He did in fact stack it off, but he would also have stacked it off, if you had made it a 3 street hand.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Fundiver on all streets.

Flatting AQo versus a single UTG raise is good, but with multiple callers I'd 3-bet (planning to fold facing shove). Calling flop and betting smaller at turn would both keep his range wider + this board isn't too coordinated so you don't have to worry as much about protecting your hand.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I absolutely do not like this game. You showed bad play, but your opponent is even worse. Most thinking players will fold AJ on the turn. You took the stack here only because of the terrible play of your opponent. 1. You obviously need to 3-bet preflop. If we get a 4-bet then we easily fall. 2. Play the flop check-call. 3. If he checks, we bet the turn ourselves. 4. River already bet allin.

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3-bet or fold—use your best judgement.

I can't get behind a flat, unless you are suited.

AA-QQ/AK(s), I'll 3-bet every time.