$20 NLHE 6-max: [20NL] - Go for thin value with 2nd pair here?

J

Jaywizzlez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
20NL Online "Home" Game - These are daily evening games hosted by the NYC Poker club that I'm in.

5-Handed(SB, BB, HJ, CO, BUT)
(Is my position terminology right 5-handed? Please let me know)

HJ(Hero) [$108.84]
CO [$124.93]
BUT [$23.60]
SB [$27.00]
BB [$114.54]

Preflop
HJ(Hero) raises to $0.90 with Th9h
CO Calls
SB Calls

Flop: ($3.60) 4h Tc Kh
SB donk leads $2.20
HJ(Hero) calls

Turn: ($8.00)4h Tc Kh 7s
SB Checks
HJ(Hero) Checks

River: ($8.00)4h Tc Kh7s Ad
SB Checks
HJ(Hero) Checks

The main questions I have are:

1) Should I have just raised vs. his lead on the flop? I preferred a call at the time since my MP has pretty decent SD value and I can see him doing this with draws and pocket inder pairs like 5s-9s

2) Should I bet betting on the turn once he checks?

3) I think I realized that I should have went for thin value on the river after he checked twice, as he shouldn't really have many Ks or As in his range at this point. Wanted to see your opinions for that thought.

I caught the hand in action as part of my hand review footage, so if you want to check it out feel free for what I was thinking at the time. It's the 5th hand starts at around 8:36.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely like a turn bet in position after he checks.

That way you will have a lot of options on the river, depending on whether you improve.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From HJ or MP your opening is too large (4.5x) because the effective stacks (BTN and SB) are still active in the hand. If you find yourself playing HU with the BB I can understand that size. But here it should be at most 3.5x, taking into account this.
BTN and SB calls are in appearance representative of strong ranges.
It seems that you have been able to gather some information on these villains, when you say that SB could take this line with literal clean air.
However, I think this is more likely in an SB vs BTN duel.
When you are the opener, rest assured that a villain no matter how drunk he is will respect your presence, when you have a large chip advantage.
This bet definitely seems of value. Obviously we are dominated in blockers, since any J, Q, A could represent a better draw, and the villain tries fold us with the top of his range.
When we call here, we should think about the turn, the times that villain does not keep betting.
The action of OTT villain is an indication of weakness in his rank. The SB couldn't get us to fold the hand. On the other hand, any strong flush draw would continue betting to seek to knock us down. It is very strange that the villain feels protected with a hand like QhKs, after we called his donk bet which was large of size. We're just going to call with hands of value, and we will represent strong draws sometime, when we have the main blocker (Ah).
Therefore, OTT is opportune for us a leveling bet, with a size of 50% pot, would be enough to throw all the dominated hands or get more value from them.
On the river we simply have to protect our range of check, taking advantage of the fact that we have a position on the villain.
Greetings.

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From HJ or MP your opening is too large (4.5x) because the effective stacks (BTN and SB) are still active in the hand. If you find yourself playing HU with the BB I can understand that size. But here it should be at most 3.5x, taking into account this.
BTN and SB calls are in appearance representative of strong ranges.
It seems that you have been able to gather some information on these villains, when you say that SB could take this line with literal clean air.
However, I think this is more likely in an SB vs BTN duel.
When you are the opener, rest assured that a villain no matter how drunk he is will respect your presence, when you have a large chip advantage.
This bet definitely seems of value. Obviously we are dominated in blockers, since any J, Q, A could represent a better draw, and the villain tries fold us with the top of his range.
When we call here, we should think about the turn, the times that villain does not keep betting.
The action of OTT villain is an indication of weakness in his rank. The SB couldn't get us to fold the hand. On the other hand, any strong flush draw would continue betting to seek to knock us down. It is very strange that the villain feels protected with a hand like QhKs, after we called his donk bet which was large of size. We're just going to call with hands of value, and we will represent strong draws sometime, when we have the main blocker (Ah).
Therefore, OTT is opportune for us a leveling bet, with a size of 50% pot, would be enough to throw all the dominated hands or get more value from them.
On the river we simply have to protect our range of check, taking advantage of the fact that we have a position on the villain.
Greetings.

I have an error in my post, the callers in preflop are CO and SB. But I don't change the way I play anyway.
I prefer to call on the flop, as the V2 (CO) can have a lot of speculative hands and they better stay in range. From this point of view, our position here is very important, because if we check and the CO raises on the flop, we have the possibility to evaluate the SB range, depending on the action it takes. (Probably he fold his dominated draws) and we will have an interesting decision, between bluffing 3-bet, or calling OTF, depending on what we perceive in CO. The balanced line is simply to call that raise that we suppose the CO makes and evaluate the turn. This is because the board blocks the combos: Khxh, which eliminates many important valuable hands in the CO range.