$20 NL HE 6-max: Am I Overexposed to a Set, or Better Overpair?

hood400

hood400

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.10/$.20
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$

When he flats my 3Bet pre flop, I put him on a hand like AQ - A10, KQs, KJs, 99 - 66.

From my limited experience, at this stake level hands like AA, AKs, AK, KK, AQs, QQ, JJ, 10's are often 4Betting all-in.

I check raise all-in on the flop as it seems a decent board for JJ, but in hindsight I'm worried I've exposed myself.
I'm only on a pair, and I could have his range completely wrong.

Although this is a micro stakes cash game, I've busted out more expensive tournaments in similar scenarios.
It's definitely one of the leaks in my game that could be fixed, but I'm curious to hear how else this hand could have been played?

I'm surprised he has committed with top pair, my play surely screams set or an over pair? I'm not sure I have any all-in bluffs here.
That said, it's a mistake I've also made many times during the learning process - committing with top pair on a similar board.
He must have put me on AKs or AQs, but surely my large 3Bet would throw some premium pairs in my range?

I'm trying to commit him on the flop, or make him fold. I'm obviously aware that any A, K, Q on the turn could bluff me off the hand, or simply beat me.
With that in mind, could I have played this better? Have I done the right thing, or do I need to be less scared of the turn and river?

Last edited:
blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amazing that he would do that with ATos when he's easily dominated preflop.

For you, I dont get the oversized preflop 3bet and then flop check. With JJ you do not want villain to get a free turn card, especially after the big preflop 3bet.

Tag this guy and look to milk him further in the future.

hood400

hood400

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Amazing that he would do that with ATos when he's easily dominated preflop.

For you, I dont get the oversized preflop 3bet and then flop check. With JJ you do not want villain to get a free turn card, especially after the big preflop 3bet.

Tag this guy and look to milk him further in the future.
Thanks for the reply.

I actually wondered if my pre flop raise was right. In your opinion, what would be ideal here?

I wanted to check-raise the flop, possibly entice a top pair raise or even a bluff, but you're spot on about the free card.
I mentioned above I was worried about the turn and river with JJ, so my check is silly in hindsight.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My take on this, your line screams you are ahead by a lot. I'm surprised he called flop. Was expecting that I see set of tens, tbh.
I would put him on similar range preflop. Flatting after your 4bet probably eliminates pocket As and Ks, maybe Qs.
I wouldn't check the flop, bet strong. After such commitment he could catch a feebie with your check.

hood400

hood400

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
My take on this, your line screams you are ahead by a lot. I'm surprised he called flop. Was expecting that I see set of tens, tbh.
I would put him on similar range preflop. Flatting after your 4bet probably eliminates pocket As and Ks, maybe Qs.
I wouldn't check the flop, bet strong. After such commitment he could catch a feebie with your check.
Thanks for the reply, appreciate the feedback.

That's what I was worried about when he called, did I expose myself to much to 10s?
They aren't entirely out of his flat calling range, though I often see 10s all-in pre flop at these stakes.
Maybe he wanted to see the flop, then fold to an over card if his set didn't hit.

I'm not entirely sure how I avoid losing my stack to a set of 10s, unless he all-ins against my check to potentially put me off.
I've busted out of tournaments in a similar scenario to this, it's definitely a spot I must perform better in.

With/without a set of 10s in mind, how would you have played it?

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what I was worried about when he called, did I expose myself to much to 10s?
Come on, you either fold this one or go all in to the end after the flop. Ts are this one hand which seems to be possible here, there are also others in the range to which you are ahead most of the time. I would consider this a form of bad beat.

I'm not entirely sure how I avoid losing my stack to a set of 10s, unless he all-ins against my check to potentially put me off.
I've busted out of tournaments in a similar scenario to this, it's definitely a spot I must perform better in.
Well, if you find a way, please share.

With/without a set of 10s in mind, how would you have played it?
Seeing the flop after flatting I would try to stack all in as soon as I can. Probably overbet, like 2xpot or something. Besides check on the flop I would usually play it in similar manner.
I don't know anything about villain image. All of these is based on assumption it's a typical reg, within boundaries of usual play. There could be variation based on various images.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
his call with A10 to your 3-bet certainly looks pretty brave, but on the flop he thought he was ahead because after check-raising all in you have either something close to the nuts or nothing, he just thought you could go there all in with AJ AQ and AK he convinced himself that he was ahead and made this call, also he might think that sometimes you can go all in with 77 88 99 in such a situation

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
his call with A10 to your 3-bet certainly looks pretty brave, but on the flop he thought he was ahead because after check-raising all in you have either something close to the nuts or nothing, he just thought you could go there all in with AJ AQ and AK he convinced himself that he was ahead and made this call, also he might think that sometimes you can go all in with 77 88 99 in such a situation
Very true, as always - a lot of assumptions.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, you are exposed to better overpairs. Mainly due to the fact that you decided to go all in on the fop. If there are hands to bluff at V-range, they are primarily AQ+AK. And those hands will almost always fold when you jam, on this type of very dry texture.
Also the villain leads from MP, which in my opinion we should respect, especially when we don't have further reading on this player.
Obviously after seeing the result, we could say that the villain is not thinking correctly in ranges. Since we shouldn't see AXs, unless he has a very wide image of you.
I have played at 16NL and I have noticed that the players are quite conservative in these places. But on this occasion it seems that you have run into a villain to whom you took the maximum value. The ideal is to know the player well to play like this.
As for your question, I think you should call on the flop and evaluate the turn.
Greetings.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you are exposed to better overpairs.
There were two reraises from both sides, why would someone call pf with overpair? Not saying it's impossible, though the assumption is this is typical reg, right?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
QQ is a big part of a 3bet calling range so that is the hand (along with TT) I would be worried about.

I quite like the check raise though prefer a smaller sizing as I feel any competent villain will fold Tx to the shove and we only get called when beat (or chopping). Well done on finding a villain who paid off, why he is calling 3bets with ATo is a mystery, tag him as a fish and hunt him down!

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would 3bet smaller like 1.25$ to 1.75$ range and sometimes just flat to strenghten that range and keep him guessing. The answer to your question is a mild yes. You are unnecessarily increasing the variance and also folding out a lot of value if you were up against a less reckless player. After the adjusted smaller 3bet I think leading out on the flop with 40% to 66% pot bet is a good line.

hood400

hood400

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
QQ is a big part of a 3bet calling range so that is the hand (along with TT) I would be worried about.

I quite like the check raise though prefer a smaller sizing as I feel any competent villain will fold Tx to the shove and we only get called when beat (or chopping). Well done on finding a villain who paid off, why he is calling 3bets with ATo is a mystery, tag him as a fish and hunt him down!
It's a 3Bet jam I've been known to call in the past myself, and one I'm becoming more weary of as I move through stake levels.
Sometimes it's difficult to know what they have if I'm flatting a min or 3x raise, so I'm learning to use the 3Bet more often in various scenarios.
Would you flat my my pre flop 3Bet with something like 44 - 99 in the scenario above?

I'm moving through the stake levels but I'm finding my post flop play in particular needs a lot work, especially when two pair cards appear on the turn. I'm noticing that better players know when to fold their top pair, and in some cases their over pair.

Thanks for your response!

hood400

hood400

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I would 3bet smaller like 1.25$ to 1.75$ range and sometimes just flat to strenghten that range and keep him guessing. The answer to your question is a mild yes. You are unnecessarily increasing the variance and also folding out a lot of value if you were up against a less reckless player. After the adjusted smaller 3bet I think leading out on the flop with 40% to 66% pot bet is a good line.
Thanks for the reply, very helpful feedback.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Very nice check he probably put you on AKs AQs I would fold to your 3bet with Axo but he got trapped.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the reply.

I actually wondered if my pre flop raise was right. In your opinion, what would be ideal here?

I wanted to check-raise the flop, possibly entice a top pair raise or even a bluff, but you're spot on about the free card.
I mentioned above I was worried about the turn and river with JJ, so my check is silly in hindsight.
With JJ OOP I don't usually have a set way to play it. Depends on the villain, my table image at the time, and how recent hands have played out that might affect how villain perceives me.

If I take an aggressive stance preflop then I will keep up the aggression after the flop. If I just call preflop then I am more likely to play conservatively post flop and keep the pot small.

If I 3bet and get a good flop, I definitely will cbet it a good size, at least 2/3 pot.

If I decide to just flat call and get the flop that you got, then I could do the check raise all in but normally I will check call down unless the turn and river happens to be A then K.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-bet is fine but sizing is a bit on the large size. 4X is usually enough even out of position.

Flop
44 and 33 likely fold to your 3-bet, especially when its this large, and KK and AA is 4-bet at least at a pretty high frequenzy. So the hands you lose to, are mainly QQ (not always 4-bet in position) and TT, which is only 9 combos. So its not so much, that this check-jam is value owning yourself. Its more, that it allow him to get away from a lot of hands rather cheaply. Sure he might fire a bluff, but if he is bluffing, then he have an easy fold, when you jam, and even a hand like AT should have been able to get away. Its also not great, if he check back a hand like AQ and then bink an A or Q for free. So I prefer to just make a standard continuation bet of maybe 30-40% pot and then go from there.