$2 NLHE Full Ring: Zoom hand against two unknows, hesitant to raise the flop in this situation

K

KFlint

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE Full Ring: Zoom hand against two unknows, hesitant to raise the flop in this situation

Played this hand today on zoom vs two complete unknowns and usually on a rainbow (not too connected) flop I will just call the flop hoping to get value on the turn and try to keep the third guy in the hand. But I thought of raising something like pot here on the flop as I though the board was dangerous if any of those villains had 2 broadways or some suited combos like 89s or J9s but still decided to call and evaluate turn which I shoved without being too happy about it... I thought about calling turn hoping for the board to pair and hopefully stack him.

1. do you raise flop?
2. As played, do you shove turn, call or fold?

Thanks, I'm a bit hesitant on this one...

Stacks:
UTG - UTG ($5.90)
UTG+1 - UTG+1 ($2.01)
UTG+2 - UTG+2 ($2.48)
MP - MP ($1.44)
MP2 - Hero ($2.24)
CO - CO ($2.02)
BTN - BTN ($3.92)
SB - SB ($1.00)
BB - BB ($2.03)

Preflop: ($0.03, 9 players) Hero is MP2 with 7d 7c
UTG raises to $0.06, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.06, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.06, 2 folds

Flop: Tc Qs 7h ($0.21, 3 players - BTN: $3.86, UTG: $5.84, Hero: $2.18)
UTG bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16, BTN calls $0.16

Turn: Jc ($0.69, 3 players - BTN: $3.70, UTG: $5.68, Hero: $2.02)
UTG bets $0.60, Hero raises to $2.00, 1 fold, UTG raises to $3.42, Hero calls $0.02 (all-in), Uncalled bet of $1.40 returned to UTG

(misclick obviously on the turn, I was getting all-in.)

Last edited:
R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop seems OK and basicly any of the 3 options has some merits. If i had any info of some aggresive squeezers behind me i would probably fold but preflop looks just fine.

A general advice at these stakes is not to slowplay your big hands cause look, people are fishy, dont understand pot odds, ranges...
Can u tell me really when you raise his bet that he wont call you with AJ AK KK+ even JJ, 89, KJ and even the player behind might call as well and nobady is ever folding TP here.
Other thing you have to realize is that he is raising from UTG so his range is really strong (88+ AQ+ and maybe AJs ATs and KQs)
If he hit an overset well there is no getting away from it anyways so just raise the flop.

The turn is where you make your decision.Fold call or raise. Folidng is 0EV and there can certainly be a discusion to fold here but at these limits for me its just to nitty, also i wouldnt ever be in this spot cause i would raise the flop and shove the turn on basicly every card. Whether you call or shove is simply a decision of how you want to put your money in. You cant call the turn and then fold the riv cause the pot is going to be 1.9$ and you would have 1.4$ and be getting 2.5 to 1 on a shove. Obviously when a 4straight fills up you can lay down the hand regartless of the pot odds but to call there just try to hit a paired board on the riv and then folding the riv if the board doesnt pair or the straight doesnt fill up is just a bad bad plan.

If you are going for a decision to stack(as you did) i like the fact that you went for a shove cause its so so much better in this spot than a call.

There much things to consider.
1st if you call you are giving the BTN a sick price to draw for whathever he has.
2nd If you raise there are still much worse hands that can call you. AQ is not folding,KK+, QJ if you think he could have that, some FDs but its unlikely given his bet sizing on the turn...
3rd you have to realize if you call there are not many good cards for you on the riv. Any A K 8 9 is going to fill the straight and any club besides Qc is not going to be good for you.
It could fill up his cards but it could also slow down the action for you if your hand is actually still good on the riv.
Lets say he has AQ on the turn he raised you just called and an 8 hits. He is now certanly going to check and you will also check. Whether when you shove he is probably never folding AQ and you get the most of that hand when an 8 comes.
So when calling you are probably loosing money when you are ahead and you are still loozing money when you are behind.
Understand what am i trying to say ?
So if you decide to go for stacks i am definetly on board with a shove on the turn.

The result is not that important but you should realize that the mistake that lead to this spot is your call on the flop and what got you in this situation.

GL on the tables.

GotaLovePoke

GotaLovePoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are overanalyzing buddy. Your goal is to get his money in, you got his money in. You achieved your goal.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Felt a raise on the flop would be valid. I felt not raising there is a mistake.

Just because 3 people in the pot and its quite connected, theres a lot of harsh turns and rivers.

I'd feel we have to pair this board now once this turn hits.

UTG screams to me AK.... And because of this huge threat, I think calling behind on the turn is warranted and hope the board pairs. On the flop i'm thinking stacks but AP I think the turn we need to control the pot somewhat. No point building the pot where we are going to lose a lot more than win.

SO yeah turn is a call behind and hope to pair the board.

If UTG wasn't there i'd be happy to get stacks in on the turn as well... but he is there. Also he could have bigger sets as well.

GotaLovePoke

GotaLovePoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just want to re-emphasize.

If you think you are losing value in your plays, I doubt set is the issue. There are a million ways to play that hand, and they are all right if it gets villain to put his chips in.

K

KFlint

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your time, appreciated!

Honnestly, I shove being mostly convinced I was against AK due to bet size vs 2 opponents and his position.

It turned out well, he had AK and the board paired on the river but looking back I should have raised this flop for sure.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah so it was a suck out... but if u had flat called u wouldnt of needed to get lucky and get stacks in good eather than on a prayer? :)

K

KFlint

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah so it was a suck out... but if u had flat called u wouldnt of needed to get lucky and get stacks in good eather than on a prayer? :)

Yeah, you're right! As played on flop, I thought afterward that I should have called turn, and that's why I posted it here!

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the way you played it is fine. You can raise the flop but I would play it the way you would. It seems like you would only raise with a set or two pair when theres no flush draw on the board. And I think you lose value and turn your hand face up. But since this is microstakes I guess it is fine.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jesus, that flop is wetter than a sorority girl after watching the Notebook. Please raise. Everyone with 2 cards between AK to 86 has a pair or a straight draw.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands