$2 NLHE Full Ring: what's the play with this wet flop?

S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand of my day brought me a flop where I was very unsure on which action to take. Wondering what you alll thought, thanks. Blinds .01/.02 and I obviously do not have any reads since it was my first hand at the table. The villian is the small blind with a stack of just under $3 and I was in big blind with $3 stack.

Hero: AKs
Preflop:
folded to button, button raises to .08, small blind calls, I raise to .20, button folds, and small blind calls.
Flop: [A K 10] ALL hearts
Small Blind checks, I bet .50, about pot size, small blind all-in, I ????

Is this an easy fold? An easy call? I had to second guess my initial reaction at the table.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise way more preflop, as played easy call.

You can rule out almost all sets because of preflop action (he's not flatting 2 raises with KK/AA) plus we have super blockers.

You're behind QJ for straights as well as flopped flushes, some of which can be heavily discounted because he'd likely slowplay them sometimes -- don't think he's going to raise so big with a flopped royal, for instance.

He has some two-pair combos (AT, KT) which we obviously beat plus a ton of stuff like AxJh/AxQh and naked Qh/Jh combos that are looking for fold equity.

Board: Ah Kh Th
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 45.662% 40.94% 04.73% 24316 2807.00 { AsKs }
Hand 1: 54.338% 49.61% 04.73% 29470 2807.00 { JcJh, JdJh, JhJs, TT, AKs, ATs, KTs, QJs, Qh9h, Qh8h, Jh9h, 9h8h, 9h7h, 8h7h, 7h6h, AKo, AcQh, AdQh, AsQh, AcJh, AdJh, AsJh, ATo, KcQh, KdQh, KsQh, KcJh, KdJc, KdJh, KhJc, KsJh, KTo, QJo, QhTc, QhTd, QhTs, JhTc, JhTd, JhTs }

That's ignoring random spazzes with something like AQ no heart or total bluffs with no equity. $2.30 to win $3.78, totally profitable call.

Last edited:
B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Note that the texture of the board (mega-coordinated/flushy with high cards) cuts down on the number of made flushes and increases the chance for worse 2 pairs, 1-pair with draw, random royal gutshots. If the board were 762hhh he has way more high-flopped flushes in his range (people play more Axs, Kxs, Q
Js, QTs, JTs, etc. than 94hh)

H

Humps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise way more preflop, as played easy call.

You can rule out almost all sets because of preflop action (he's not flatting 2 raises with KK/AA) plus we have super blockers.

You're behind QJ for straights as well as flopped flushes, some of which can be heavily discounted because he'd likely slowplay them sometimes -- don't think he's going to raise so big with a flopped royal, for instance.

He has some two-pair combos (AT, KT) which we obviously beat plus a ton of stuff like AxJh/AxQh and naked Qh/Jh combos that are looking for fold equity.

Board: Ah Kh Th
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 45.662% 40.94% 04.73% 24316 2807.00 { AsKs }
Hand 1: 54.338% 49.61% 04.73% 29470 2807.00 { JcJh, JdJh, JhJs, TT, AKs, ATs, KTs, QJs, Qh9h, Qh8h, Jh9h, 9h8h, 9h7h, 8h7h, 7h6h, AKo, AcQh, AdQh, AsQh, AcJh, AdJh, AsJh, ATo, KcQh, KdQh, KsQh, KcJh, KdJc, KdJh, KhJc, KsJh, KTo, QJo, QhTc, QhTd, QhTs, JhTc, JhTd, JhTs }

That's ignoring random spazzes with something like AQ no heart or total bluffs with no equity. $2.30 to win $3.78, totally profitable call.
Great response! Set out your thoughts clearly. Thanks.

S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea I thought the same thing and instantly called. I know being result oriented is terrible but he stacked off on me when he showed an already made straight and a royal draw. It made me second guess my call but seems to me I had to make that call.

What if he just flat calls instead of pushes? Do I fire another barrel of he checks the turn if the card doesn't complete potential draws? What if it's a heart and he bets after turn?

Thanks for all the responses I can see how posting hands could really improve your game, I will continue to post, thanks again!