$2 NLHE Full Ring: What is villains range here?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE Full Ring: Should I have not raised here?

Villain seemed like a TAG. I was a bit nervous of the wet board, was calling best here? or charge them on the flop?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.56 (78 bb)
UTG+1: $2.73 (137 bb)
MP: $2.03 (102 bb)
MP+1: $1.83 (92 bb)
LP: $1.14 (57 bb)
CO: $2.06 (103 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.38 (119 bb)
SB: $1.99 (100 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with J J
2 players fold, MP calls $0.02, 3 players fold, Hero raises to $0.08, SB 3-bets to $0.24, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.52) J K A (2 players)
SB bets $0.19, Hero raises to $0.54, SB folds

Last edited:
H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't know for sure what he has, but he's probably 3-betting wider than normal considering he's OOP and you're opening from the button. Something as low as most suited aces and kings, QJo+, JTs+, 77+ doesn't seem unreasonable. You can 4-bet for value here.

Post flop really depends on this particular player. I'm always stacking. You'll get all the value from the two pair combo's, maybe even some weak aces, so the objective is to get all the money in ASAP.

If you're using a HUD check the aggression factor (AF) and went to showdown (WTSD) percentage. It will help in similar spots (e.g. against ppl with a high AF and low WTSD% you let them bet into you and vice versa).

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
preflop: in my ranges JJ is 50% 4bet, 50% call 3bet. Just know you shouldn't always call.

flop: you have some strong nuts, like QT and JJ and tiny bit of QQ. the problem is, those are not many combos. Just 4 combos of QTs and 1.5 combos of JJ, while villain has ton of sets and two pair hands. and you are calling a lot of hands on this board, so I would advocate for not having a raising range. You need to have some strong hands in your calling range, so you can't use all your nuts in your raising range. Just call with JJ and see the turn and river.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop: in my ranges JJ is 50% 4bet, 50% call 3bet. Just know you shouldn't always call.

flop: you have some strong nuts, like QT and JJ and tiny bit of QQ. the problem is, those are not many combos. Just 4 combos of QTs and 1.5 combos of JJ, while villain has ton of sets and two pair hands. and you are calling a lot of hands on this board, so I would advocate for not having a raising range. You need to have some strong hands in your calling range, so you can't use all your nuts in your raising range. Just call with JJ and see the turn and river.

Ya I think you have a fair point, Part of the reason why I raised was because the board was so wet, say villain had a hand like AQ or AT I really didnt want to see another face card on the turn however it seems like I basically priced out alot of medium strength hands when I could have just called and had villain likely put more money in the pot on the turn and been able to realize my equity IP .

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 players fold, MP calls $0.02, 3 players fold, Hero raises to $0.08, SB 3-bets to $0.24, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.16

A MP limp, and a BTN raise vs limper is a quite wide range, which means a 3bet squeeze from a TAG will have a wide value and bluff range from the SB.

Then when you flat the 3bet IP rather than 4bet, it caps your range - mostly implied odds hands and rarely a monster. That means villain will cbet almost any flop.

So his range pre is value hands (AA-QQ), AK, and a lot of bluffs Axs and Kxs blocker hands, mid SCs 56s-JTs, small PPs (22-55). He might have from as tight as 1:1 to as loose as 1:3 value:bluff ratio. My default expectation is 1:2.

He will CBet nearly 100% of that range.

He might be adjusting his range if you have shown any tendencies - such as how you respond to squeezes, and how legit your BTN raise vs limpers is.

Last edited:
TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain seemed like a TAG. I was a bit nervous of the wet board, was calling best here? or charge them on the flop?

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.56 (78 bb)
UTG+1: $2.73 (137 bb)
MP: $2.03 (102 bb)
MP+1: $1.83 (92 bb)
LP: $1.14 (57 bb)
CO: $2.06 (103 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.38 (119 bb)
SB: $1.99 (100 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

As the saying goes Jacks are a bitch and Hero has hit them hard. Villain is very likely to have an ace and big pairs AA, KK, QQ are likely. Problem is Hero is very likely to have an ace also. Although the board is big it is 3-suited dry, Neither player is likely to have QT

If Villain has AA or KK I am getting stacked. Unless Villain has a big Ace she is unlikely to call a bet. So the question is, "Will she beat again, if Hero calls the flop?" If Villain has AA, KK, AJ, she surely will and she would call a flop re-raise. That leaves smaller aces and medium pairs that Villain might have semi-bluffed, 3-bet the flop with that may beat the turn or the river.

Given the dry flop, and the call of the 3-bet preflop, It looks like just calling is the better play.

What does Hero do if Villain calls the flop re-raise and checks the turn? I check back the turn and crying call the river.

Last edited:
TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hero is either way ahead or way behind, call and see.

Double post - How do I delete one?

Last edited: