$2 NLHE Full Ring: Straight over Straight, missed value?

M

Mybeardisevil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pacific poker - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 7 player.

BB: 98.5 BB
UTG: 109.5 BB
UTG+1: 175 BB
MP: 127.5 BB
CO: 100 BB
Hero (BTN): 151 BB
SB: 119.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Js Ks
fold, UTG+1 raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop : (7.5 BB, 2 players) Ts 8d 9h
UTG+1 bets 4.5 BB, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Turn : (16.5 BB, 2 players) Qd
UTG+1 bets 12 BB, Hero calls 12 BB

River : (40.5 BB, 2 players) 6d
UTG+1 bets 50.5 BB, Hero calls 50.5 BB

UTG+1 shows Jh Qh (Straight, Queen High)
(Pre 29%, Flop 84%, Turn 3%)

Hero shows Js Ks (Straight, King High)
(Pre 71%, Flop 16%, Turn 97%)

Hero wins 133 BB

Wondering what your thoughts are on this hand. Did I miss value on the river? Was worried about reraising his river bet due to the flush.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think you played good this hand. Call pre flop on the button with kjs is standard for me on this stack. On the flop and on the turn I play like hero, because opponent bets for more than 50% of the pot and when I see bets for more than 50% of the pot I respect it. I don't know what does mean the bet on the flop, opponent can have something and he can have air. Bet on the turn for over 50% of the pot usually means for me that opponent have something and with our straight draw I only call. On the board come runner runner flush. Not many suited connector card is in opponent's range from utg position, but we should respect this over bet on the river, because of flush on the board. So I think that you didn't miss too much value on the river, because of his over bet. GL :)

M

Mybeardisevil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I think you played good this hand. Call pre flop on the button with kjs is standard for me on this stack. On the flop and on the turn I play like hero, because opponent bets for more than 50% of the pot and when I see bets for more than 50% of the pot I respect it. I don't know what does mean the bet on the flop, opponent can have something and he can have air. Bet on the turn for over 50% of the pot usually means for me that opponent have something and with our straight draw I only call. On the board come runner runner flush. Not many suited connector card is in opponent's range from utg position, but we should respect this over bet on the river, because of flush on the board. So I think that you didn't miss too much value on the river, because of his over bet. GL :)

Thanks so much for your input! I am just a baby player really, so it's nice to get confirmation I did something right lol :D

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Calling on BTN with this hand is fine. We just need to keep in mind, that we are not strictly calling because of our hand strenght against an MP open. We are calling because of position and the fact, we are getting a good price, if the players in the blinds fold. So we need to be ready to get in there and apply some pressure, even when we dont smash the flop. We also need to not take one pair hands to far, because we can often be dominated.

Flop
Flopped an OESD and BDFD, which is pretty great. Calling and raising both have merits, but I do lean towards raising. We dont have much showdown value with K high on this board, and by raising we can set up a multi street bluff and put hands like top pair in a really miserable spot. If we dont raise this hand, we are probably never raising as a bluff, and then we are pretty easy to play against.

However I will say, that at 2NL it can be reasonable to just call here, because a lot of players cant be made to fold top pair even with a big tripple barrel. And then you might as well try to make your hand cheaply and otherwise simply give up. Just wanted to open up the idea, that against good players this is probably a hand, you are supposed to be raising the flop with.

Turn
You turned the nuts, great! And yes now you really need to raise to set it up for stacks on the river, if the runout is clean. Just calling here is a pretty big blunder.

River
Diamonds came in, and now he overbet, which is pretty gross. I am certainly not raising now, but I do think, you need to call. He is saying, he has a flush, but as the outcome show, that is not always the case, and you beat anything else.

Conclusion
The main error in this hand is not raising the turn for value, when you have the nuts. Ideally he would have 3-bet, and you would have gotten your whole stack in with him having 3 outs for a chopper. These spots dont come up very often, and missing out on them will kill your winrate in the long run.

M

Mybeardisevil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Calling on BTN with this hand is fine. We just need to keep in mind, that we are not strictly calling because of our hand strenght against an MP open. We are calling because of position and the fact, we are getting a good price, if the players in the blinds fold. So we need to be ready to get in there and apply some pressure, even when we dont smash the flop. We also need to not take one pair hands to far, because we can often be dominated.

Flop
Flopped an OESD and BDFD, which is pretty great. Calling and raising both have merits, but I do lean towards raising. We dont have much showdown value with K high on this board, and by raising we can set up a multi street bluff and put hands like top pair in a really miserable spot. If we dont raise this hand, we are probably never raising as a bluff, and then we are pretty easy to play against.

However I will say, that at 2NL it can be reasonable to just call here, because a lot of players cant be made to fold top pair even with a big tripple barrel. And then you might as well try to make your hand cheaply and otherwise simply give up. Just wanted to open up the idea, that against good players this is probably a hand, you are supposed to be raising the flop with.

Turn
You turned the nuts, great! And yes now you really need to raise to set it up for stacks on the river, if the runout is clean. Just calling here is a pretty big blunder.

River
Diamonds came in, and now he overbet, which is pretty gross. I am certainly not raising now, but I do think, you need to call. He is saying, he has a flush, but as the outcome show, that is not always the case, and you beat anything else.

Conclusion
The main error in this hand is not raising the turn for value, when you have the nuts. Ideally he would have 3-bet, and you would have gotten your whole stack in with him having 3 outs for a chopper. These spots dont come up very often, and missing out on them will kill your winrate in the long run.

Thanks! Definitely thought I played wrongly. Need to be more prepared to semi bluff on flops that connect well with me. The reason I didn't raise on the flop is he was a very loose player, so he would call me down no matter what.
My turn play was poor! Thanks for your insights!

K

Kaleiduo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah at NL2 jamming the turn makes all the sense here. I would never let a flush draw see a river without a big price when I got the nut straight here. It further helps he's making massive bets so good chance he's calling with his sets, weaker straights, two pairs.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the flush was backdoored, I think I would have felt better about jamming the river.