$2 NLHE Full Ring: SPR over-looked, how bad was this played?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I over-looked the Villain's stack size in this hand. I raise from MP and BTN calls.
Flop comes J-6-4 two spades and I think I have range advantage here but I also think BTN's calling range has many Jacks and some suited connectors that would hit this board. I bet small and villain calls. turn comes and I pickup some good equity now having an OESD with two over-cards. If villain had a proper stack here what would the play be ? do we bet larger on this turn because it hits villains range well? I'm not sure if we want to bet smaller or larger. I think if we bet 1/3 pot again villain is not folding much of anything, do we want to go for a half pot here and charge the draws ? or 2/3 pot and put some pressure on Tx? although what type of Tx arrives on the turn here? do hands like KT and QT fold on the flop to the 1/3 when IP?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.60 (130 bb)
UTG+1: $2.00 (100 bb)
MP: $2.23 (112 bb)
MP+1: $0.48 (24 bb)
LP (Hero): $2.13 (107 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU: $0.70 (35 bb)
SB: $2.97 (149 bb)
BB: $2.17 (109 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.05) Hero is LP with K Q
4 players fold, Hero raises to $0.08, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.08, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.21) 6 4 J (2 players)
Hero bets $0.06, BTN calls $0.06

Turn: ($0.33) T (2 players)
Hero bets $0.18, BTN calls $0.18

River: ($0.69) Q (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $0.38 (all-in), Hero calls $0.38

Total pot: $1.45 (Rake: $0.05)

Showdown:
BU shows K A (a straight, Ten to Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 76%, Flop: 83%, Turn: 84%, River: 100%)

LP (Hero) shows K Q (a pair of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 24%, Flop: 17%, Turn: 16%, River: 0%)

BU wins $1.40

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The villain having a small stack makes this complicated on the river since I feel this is a bet fold spot but with the effective stack being small we cant bet without being priced in to call. As played I probably fold the river in your shoes thinking I am up against two pair or the flush. I would never have put the villain on what they had.

I think the hand should be played differently from how you played it. I noticed you 4x raised in this hand but in some other hands you post you 3x. Is there a reason you 4x here? I think 3x should be your normal bet and would rarely alter it except for some tables where you have one single player that calls everything and then is very weak post flop. I also think you are better off checking the flop or betting larger on the flop than the bet you made. The bet you made is getting nothing to fold. I much prefer checking here since if we do improve later in the hand and then want to get it in, we can in two streets since we are up against a small stack.

On the turn as played I am think I would bet but for less than what you did. Double suited board so flush draws are possible which takes away some potential outs for us or at least makes us weary if we hit the straight but it brings a flush. I would bet enough there for villain to be drawing against the odds so Im thinking 12-15 cents. It sounds like a small difference but the less we bet here than the more room we have on the river to bet fold if have to.

I would hope in game the way I would play this hand would be to raise to 6 cents pre, check the flop, bet the turn at 9 cents (half pot) and then on the river with a pot of 35 cents and villains remaining stack of 55 cents to bet about 15 cents and then fold to a jam. I wouldnt think villain would jam over me with just Jx or 10x but a jam would signal 2 pair plus. Could be sometimes I would be folding to a Qx there but most Qxs that call pre would be Qx with x>10 so they would have me beat or chopped.

I

itsallgoodie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Difficult to say, I would probably fold on the river but it depends on which kind of hand range you put your opponent on.
Are you using a hud like pokertracker and real time odds scanner like poker odds scanner (https://apps.apple.com/by/app/poker-odds-scanner/id1556003395).
They work really well together and using them both usually does the magic in making the right call in close decisions for me.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest mistake was really the river. I think you played it ok considering. You can make an argument for xing the turn considering stack size. But as played, river is a def fold. And betting is better than x/cing the river by far. x/cing is the worst option.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Maybe a 4BB open still work ok in very soft 2NL cash games, but if you are practicing with intentions to move up, I suggest, you change it to 3BB right away, and later when you get to 10NL maybe even to 2,5BB. Large open raises are very old school, they are not optimal, and when you eventually play against better opponents, it will be a problem, if you have gotten used to these sizes.

Flop
You do have a little something with two overs and backdoor draws, so you are not completely airballing. Even so I could go either way here and check or C-bet. In general you should do less C-betting when out of position, and this one is fairly marginal. If I C-bet, I would use a larger sizing. Do you expect him to fold anything, when you bet 30% of the pot, and he has position on you? And if he is not going to fold, then what does this bet accomplish?

Turn
You picked up an OESD, and for that reason I like the dubble barrel. I also like your sizing.

River
This is a tough one, because you improved to top pair, but it also brings in straight- and flushdraws. Against aggressive opponents I would often go for a check-call line here. But I feel, that in this particular situation, at 2NL and against a fish, thats the worst of your options. I think, if he has a hand, you beat, he is usually just going to check it back, so when you do face that jam, you are probably not good 1 out of 4 times, unless he is maniac type of fish.

So as played with a check, I actually think, you can check-fold, even though its pretty tight and obviously suck to make top pair on the river and then fold it. I do lean towards going for a jam though. Yes sometimes you will value own yourself against a hand like the one, he had. But he can also call you with a lot of worse 1 pair hands and sometimes even A high, if he is on tilt. So I do think, jamming is going to show the highest long term EV, while check-calling is going to show the lowest.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Big Game

as villain gave auth CaLl for his several chips anyway a post flop bet would make him wide keep betting to the river well and a bad play because villain has already made a Bad play pays before the flop with nothing

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with John that x/c is the worst option here, I much prefer us just jamming. Unlikely a short stacker is going to fold a J here and when we jam we can definitely get called by worse. I think jam > x/f > x/c. Flop and turn are fine IMO

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Maybe a 4BB open still work ok in very soft 2NL cash games, but if you are practicing with intentions to move up, I suggest, you change it to 3BB right away, and later when you get to 10NL maybe even to 2,5BB. Large open raises are very old school, they are not optimal, and when you eventually play against better opponents, it will be a problem, if you have gotten used to these sizes.

Flop
You do have a little something with two overs and backdoor draws, so you are not completely airballing. Even so I could go either way here and check or C-bet. In general you should do less C-betting when out of position, and this one is fairly marginal. If I C-bet, I would use a larger sizing. Do you expect him to fold anything, when you bet 30% of the pot, and he has position on you? And if he is not going to fold, then what does this bet accomplish?

Turn
You picked up an OESD, and for that reason I like the dubble barrel. I also like your sizing.

River
This is a tough one, because you improved to top pair, but it also brings in straight- and flushdraws. Against aggressive opponents I would often go for a check-call line here. But I feel, that in this particular situation, at 2NL and against a fish, thats the worst of your options. I think, if he has a hand, you beat, he is usually just going to check it back, so when you do face that jam, you are probably not good 1 out of 4 times, unless he is maniac type of fish.

So as played with a check, I actually think, you can check-fold, even though its pretty tight and obviously suck to make top pair on the river and then fold it. I do lean towards going for a jam though. Yes sometimes you will value own yourself against a hand like the one, he had. But he can also call you with a lot of worse 1 pair hands and sometimes even A high, if he is on tilt. So I do think, jamming is going to show the highest long term EV, while check-calling is going to show the lowest.

hey thanks for your analysis of the hand its much appreciated! the reason I bet 4bb is because there was dead money in the pot, the pot was 0.05 before I entered it, I think someone may have posted. My default is 3bb when RFI if there is no extra dead money in the pot. I agree that 4x default is old school.

P

purplerain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should probably think about river mostly. I think before that can be played better but it is not that bad. I agree with a guy about river thing completely!

K

kidpoker111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be lot more aggressive here before river then there would be less chance for you to play river badly