$2 NLHE Full Ring: Should I have called one more street here?

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys!

I'm wondering if you think that I should have called one more street here. He has a bunch of combos of hands that are semi-bluffs, but an equal amount or actually more like double the amount of value bet hands. My hand has some blocking value though so now that I think of it, maybe that should have tipped me more to the side of calling one more street? (I'm fairly new to thinking in terms of ranges and combos of hands and blockers so any insight or input with regard to this is appreciated!)

Any input is appreciated--thanks!

Yatahay Network - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 78 BB
SB: 40 BB
BB: 108.5 BB
UTG: 270 BB
Hero (UTG+1): 97.5 BB
MP: 103.5 BB
MP+1: 137.5 BB
MP+2: 101.5 BB
CO: 84 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J Q

fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, MP calls 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB calls 2 BB, fold

Flop: (8.5 BB, 3 players) A J A
SB checks, Hero checks, MP bets 4.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Turn: (17.5 BB, 2 players) 2
Hero checks, MP bets 17.5 BB, fold

MP wins 17 BB

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, you played the hand very well. If he has an ace, which he is representing, you are drawing 100% dead on the turn, and he is betting full pot with one more street to come. If he bluffed you, then good for him.

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, you played the hand very well. If he has an ace, which he is representing, you are drawing 100% dead on the turn, and he is betting full pot with one more street to come. If he bluffed you, then good for him.

Okay awesome--thank you!

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With him sizing up on the turn to full pot, I think the only play there is to fold. Occasionally, he may be going nuts with a smaller Jack or something else, but a lot of the time he will also have an Ace.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As someone else mentioned i think the bet sizing on the turn is very indicative of villian holding an Ace,
I've noticed many regs at the Micros tend to waste no time and bet 75÷100% pot with their value bets and much smaller with their cbet bluffs.
Fold this and move on 👍

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
He is bluffing you an equal amount of times. You stopped betting on the flop, and did not bet on the turn, showing weakness. He throws a bet to make it look like a value bet.

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call the turn. You block his most likely boat, and your range is ahead of his. Unless he has A2 or 22, it his turn sizing doesn't make much sense. If he has Ax, he has to be concerned about you (which again, you have the range advantage) having a better Ax then he does.

So I'm calling and calling most blank rivers.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is also some merit to C-betting the flop instead of giving up your initiative. The issue with checking the flop is, that it opens up the door for MP to take over the betting, and then you end up playing this guessing game, where its difficult to get to showdown without risking a ton of chips.

If on the other hand you C-bet, MP now have to worry about not only SB but also you, who could absolutely have an ace as the preflop raiser. So he is much less likely to be out of line with some kind of airball bluff, and therefore its much easier for you to simply give up on the turn, if MP gives you action, or if SB comes in for a check-raise.

And if you get MP to fold, then the rest of the hand is much easier to play, even when SB continues, because now you have position. You can check back turn, and now you are already on the river in a fairly small pot, where you can then make a decision based on the runout and his action.

So while I understand checking a marginal made hand like this multiway, I do think, you should at least consider going for a small C-bet instead. I feel, it makes the hand quite a bit easier to play in this particular configuration, where you are monkey in the middle.