$2 NLHE Full Ring: Was this the right play? Thanks!

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 69 BB
SB: 99 BB
BB: 96.5 BB
Hero (UTG): 177 BB
UTG+1: 100 BB
MP: 57.5 BB
MP+1: 101.5 BB
CO: 139.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:heart: Q:club:

Hero raises to 3 BB, UTG+1 calls 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (13.5 BB, 4 players) 5:heart: 8:diamond: T:diamond:
Hero bets 6.5 BB, UTG+1 calls 6.5 BB, fold, fold

Turn: (26.5 BB, 2 players) 7:spade:
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 17 BB, Hero calls 17 BB

River: (60.5 BB, 2 players) 4:spade:
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 33 BB, fold

UTG+1 wins 58.5 BB

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet more on flop something like 10bb to defend against draws. Turn is blanc so bet again.

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this spot I like flop 2/3 pot ~9bb. And check raise turn. If he win it's just poker.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q Q

Hero raises to 3 BB, UTG+1 calls 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (13.5 BB, 4 players) 5 8 T

Turn: (26.5 BB, 2 players) 7

River: (60.5 BB, 2 players) 4

UTG+1 wins 58.5 BB

On the flop you definitely want to be betting 3/4-pot because any flushes in the villains range are going to be of a reasonable strength and you don’t wants to be getting sucked out on. Aswell as this you will be charging 99,77,66 which can all be reasonable calls depending on the player type and 9T must be charged to draw as it’s a hidden draw.

Now when it comes to the turn I would say barrel again, the reason for this is if your opponent is chasing that flush it’s unlikely they are going to fold but also highly unlikely they will raise due to the straight being on the board. If your opponent did raise then you pretty much know you’re up against a set or better making it easy to just throw your hand away.

With the check on the turn you are allowing the villain to bluff too much and take the hand down

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this spot I like flop 2/3 pot ~9bb. And check raise turn. If he win it's just poker.

A check raise on the turn would be well over repping our hand so that means you won’t be getting called with worse. So when villain does continue you are almost always beat so that is too much of a dangerous line to take but the flop bet, definitely sized up

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies here - definitely taking these into consideration.

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No problem, I look forward to seeing more hands of yours on here. Happy improving

Gl on the felt

Weird question - (I'm fairly new to this site poker generally)

It is OK to post a few hands on here? Obviously I don't have much to offer other threads as I'm so new, so don't want to appear as though I just post lots of hands and take info from others always.
Thanks!

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q Q

Flop: (13.5 BB, 4 players) 5 8 T

Turn: (26.5 BB, 2 players) 7

River: (60.5 BB, 2 players) 4

UTG+1 wins 58.5 BB

Being out of position always sucks but the hand was played fine. OTR these kinds of bets that give us such amazing odds are not friendly prices, they are just inviting us to re-raise or even call because it is very cheap, just do dissapoint ourselves and see that Villain/IP has us beat to the ground.
Actually, there are players that are masters of extracting thin value on the rivers, at the micros and at the mid stakes, just because many regulars love to level themselves up by calling and they will call a lot in situations like this just because the price, in the perception of their own ego, makes some hands unable to fold, such as JJ+ in lower structure boards for example:
The vast majority of the regulars, even some very good ones, micros and mid stakes only, are ever folding TT+ on the river on lower structures boards, and this is awesome.
Some regulars can fold these hands, but if you give them the right price, they will feel themselves stupid if they fold and they are going to level against these small bets much more, even by calling too much on any street or raising on spots it shouldn't be raising with such hands, anyways, we must have the displine to play in the long run, to respect our opponents, to learn how to fold and how to hold, and above all patience to deal with some extraordinary hard scenarios, where if our ego takes control, we lose a ton of value.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being out of position always sucks but the hand was played fine. OTR these kinds of bets that give us such amazing odds are not friendly prices, they are just inviting us to re-raise or even call because it is very cheap, just do dissapoint ourselves and see that Villain/IP has us beat to the ground.
Actually, there are players that are masters of extracting thin value on the rivers, at the micros and at the mid stakes, just because many regulars love to level themselves up by calling and they will call a lot in situations like this just because the price, in the perception of their own ego, makes some hands unable to fold, such as JJ+ in lower structure boards for example:
The vast majority of the regulars, even some very good ones, micros and mid stakes only, are ever folding TT+ on the river on lower structures boards, and this is awesome.
Some regulars can fold these hands, but if you give them the right price, they will feel themselves stupid if they fold and they are going to level against these small bets much more, even by calling too much on any street or raising on spots it shouldn't be raising with such hands, anyways, we must have the displine to play in the long run, to respect our opponents, to learn how to fold and how to hold, and above all patience to deal with some extraordinary hard scenarios, where if our ego takes control, we lose a ton of value.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Great info and analysis!

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would just cbet turn and check call AA and sometimes with KK, river I would bet fold river. Reason is that QQ is more vulerable

As played, I think your fold is good OTR as most NL2 players underbluffed.