$2 NLHE Full Ring: Played well or lost value?

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 60.5 BB
SB: 63 BB
BB: 109.5 BB
UTG: 100 BB
UTG+1: 51.5 BB
Hero (MP): 125.5 BB
CO: 52.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9 A

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, CO raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (9.5 BB, 2 players) 4 5 9
Hero checks, CO bets 4.5 BB, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Turn: (18.5 BB, 2 players) A
Hero bets 10.5 BB, fold

Hero wins 18 BB

Wondering whether I played this hand well or could I have extracted more value...

Please be as critical as possible! Thanks

Last edited:
S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think checking that turn with the intention of letting villain rep the ace (a good card for his 3 betting range) and then check raising could have been a better play that would have got more value from your top 2 pair.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would either (i) check-raise the turn or (ii) check-call the turn and hope villain bets again on the river. Your A blocks the nut flush draw and there's almost no straight draw villain could possibly have.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with others that you potentially did lose value here. You didn't provide any reads but when V 3 bets our MP open and we block the Ace of diamonds he has VERY few flush draws to charge by check raising turn so I don't think there's much reason to lead turn or x/r turn. I would x/c turn and if he checks back then we have to lead all rivers for value. As played our hand looks like Ax and V can fold some huge pairs correctly against our turn lead.

Other than KQdd, which is exactly one combo, most players wont have too many (if any) additional 3 bet combos against an MP open. Our x/c can also make it look like we are on the flush draw against his likely middling or even large pocket pair. That way when the flush draw misses and we lead river we are more likely to get called by KK-TT or whatever pair V may hit on the river.

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On reflection I was quite annoyed by this hand - so I definitely agree with comments here.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 60.5 BB
SB: 63 BB
BB: 109.5 BB
UTG: 100 BB
UTG+1: 51.5 BB
Hero (MP): 125.5 BB
CO: 52.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9 A

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, CO raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (9.5 BB, 2 players) 4 5 9
Hero checks, CO bets 4.5 BB, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Turn: (18.5 BB, 2 players) A
Hero bets 10.5 BB, fold

Hero wins 18 BB

Wondering whether I played this hand well or could I have extracted more value...

Please be as critical as possible! Thanks

Having so many players yet to speak, I am not opening A2-A9o from MP very often. I dare to say that I am raising these combos 20-30% of times from MP at maximum.
When CO raises it is impossible to fold because we have a lot of odds for calling, although we cannot 3-bet, and this is why these combos (A2-A9) should be played very cautiosly.
Given the fact tha CO raises you preflop it is okay to be calling down OTF, but when it comes to the turn, I guess we should be checking more often than betting.
The reason is very simple, we are blocking a bunch of Ax, and 9x that Villain could have and it is not logical (unless it is some whale) to be paying with 4x or 5x.
IMO, if we do check OTT, Villain can still barrel its AT, AJ, AQ and even AK if it has. Villain can barrel the draws as well, but when we take initiative here we give a very easy fold for CO.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is better to check on the turn. and give the opportunity to bet hands like Ax. Thus, we knock out a lot of hands with which to get value.

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should be checking this flop for the reason you highlight. It would extract more value, reason being the board isn’t draw heavy so you’re going to be able to raise most of the time on the river for value and it would induce bluffs from villain

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah,my thoughts afterwards. Thanks