UTG+1: $2.45 (123 bb)
MP: $2.42 (121 bb)
MP+1: $1.78 (89 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.23 (112 bb)
BU: $0.48 (24 bb)
SB: $1.50 (75 bb)
BB: $2.07 (104 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with J Q
2 players fold, MP raises to $0.06, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.18, 3 players fold, MP calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.39) 2 6 4 (2 players)
MP bets $0.19, Hero calls $0.19

Turn: ($0.77) 4 (2 players)
MP bets $0.37, Hero calls $0.37

River: ($1.51) Q (2 players)
MP bets $0.73, Hero...???

pre-flop what could Villain open-raise and then call with here ? I gave him 88+,ATs+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KJo+,QJo

I somewhat discounted AA-QQ here because I thought he would 4-bet most likely but if hes a fish I'm not sure we can't totally out them I guess. on flop he bets out half pot, what does this say about his range ?

On The Flop I thought he would do this with his overpair range, like QQ-88, Maybe his AT+ and his suited face-cards. I decide to call was this the right move ? I also thought about raising with the flush-draw but maybe that wasn't the play? If we re-raise here what is going to happen? Are we trying to get anything to fold or are we trying to build a pot with a big hand in this position? Does he have something he will call a raise with and/or if he comes over the top are we forced to fold this?

on the turn he bets out half pot again and the turn card didn't change much. I don't know what range to give him and am unsure of how to play my hand , again I don't know If I want to make stuff fold, play for a bigger pot or call and see a river.

I put villain alot of weaker pocket pairs and overcards, for some reason I thought a call here was ok because if hes holding 88,99,TT,JJ,QQ, we had a flushdraw I also thought if we hit a Q or J it would be good forgetting about the range factor that it would give him a set for some of his range. Any Q or J would actually be terrible now that I think about it up against AQ,QK, any J would be terrible up against AJ,KJ. I decided to call and I hit the pair on the river fish bets half pot again . should this be a fold or a call ? should I even be in this position? how else should I have played this hand ?

F

fast_frog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to call once you hit the Q. He can be value betting 77-JJ or bluffing, donk ranges are not particularly strong.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-betting QJs is a bluff and maybe a little bit to fancy against a semi-loose bad reg at 2NL. I don’t think, a player like this has a lot of folds in him, and with a PFR of 14% his opening range seem to be pretty much spot on. So I prefer to just call in position or even get out of the way. You have 3 players left to act behind you, and QJs will flop a lot of dominated pairs or dominated draws.

Flop
Hit a flushdraw with two overs, and he donked into you. Obviously never folding, but you could consider raising. Since you are a HUD-user, you have to dive into the HUD here and look at his donk bet stats. If he is a habitual donk better, then I like a raise here with intentions to get it in. Just calling is the more conservative and standard play though.

Turn
He is giving you another good price, but you only have one more card to come, you need to assume, you are behind, and its becoming somewhat of a reverse implied odds situation for you. Even when you make a flush, a lot of the hands, he will stack off, are going to be better flushes and full houses. So I prefer to lay it down now as played. When you call to draw, you really want to draw to the nuts, and a Q high flush on a paired board in a 3-bet pot is not exactly the nuts.

River
From a GTO standpoint this might be a call, when he only bet half pot. But from an exploitative standpoint I lean towards a fold. He called your 3-bet preflop and then led into you on all three streets postflop. I think, this is typically weighted towards value, and so is his bet size. This half pot, half pot, half pot is something, you see regulars do a lot these days, and the idea behind it is typically, that people cannot fold top pair to a half pot sized bet.

Last edited:
C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guys for the insight.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fundiver you seem very knowledgeable about the game and I thank you for your thoughts. With only 30 hands played how can I tell if this player donk bets alot and if he does what does that say about his range, that it would be weaker? why would our intentions be to get it in ?what can this say about his range?. thanks in advance.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 30 hands you typically dont have a lot of information, and just calling him on the flop will be the better play. When I say "with intentions to get it in", I mean, that if you raise, then you are not folding to a 3-bet. The assumption will be, you are not only against nutted hands, but that he can also have for instance 77-TT, against which you have 15 outs.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a call getting 3:1. It's not a GTO thing or anything, it's just a simple call because you're going to be ahead of his range against a random player at these stakes that donks into you in a 3-bet pot. Really he'll be pretty polarized to slow played (pre-flop) QQ+ hands and air.

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow he would have me definetly scared off from the showdown. Good call tough.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The 3-bet was in a perfect spot to get it heads up before the flop. After that, the villain just get betting and with your draw and 2 overs gives you a TON of equity. Even if the villain has an overpair to the board, you can still beat their pairs unless it's KK or AA, which you would have heard from them pre-flop. You get max value on the river hitting your Q instead of the flush, giving the villain the opportunity to try to bluff, which you have to call on the river.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok thank you guys for responding, so what I'm getting from this is that a re-raise on the flop is not the worst play because its +EV, he will fold some stuff and what he does call with we will have a good chunk of equity to beat still?but a call on the flop versus mostly unknown villain is the main line? What else I'm getting from this is that the river is a call. Villain could hold JJ,QQ, but he played that so strangely and its such a small part of his range we are beating most of his range on the river AND are are getting 3:1 we only need to be correct 1 out of 4 so its an easy call? what about a thin value bet on the river is that an option, and then folding to a raise? I can see JJ-88 possibly calling a raise especially if hes fish.

Last edited:
Rodolfo888

Rodolfo888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing a cash game 0.10 / 0.20 earlier at 888poker I got a bad one, I had AA on the button for a $ 10.50 limp SB **** and BB all in 25 $ with 22 the flop comes 2, A, 9 turn T, riv, 2. the $ 50 pot.