$2 NLHE Full Ring: how did I play this? fold river?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.00 (100 bb)
UTG+1: $3.23 (162 bb)
MP: $2.68 (134 bb)
MP+1: $1.96 (98 bb)
LP: $1.80 (90 bb)
CO: $0.87 (44 bb)
BU: $2.20 (110 bb)
SB (Hero): $2.80 (140 bb)
BB: $1.56 (78 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with J Q
4 players fold, LP raises to $0.04, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.03, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.10) 8 7 J (2 players)
Hero checks, LP checks

Turn: ($0.10) Q (2 players)
Hero bets $0.04, LP calls $0.04

River: ($0.18) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.08, LP raises to $0.25, Hero calls $0.17

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The preflop is a bit wide, because the BB must still speak. You are also at a long table, where the villains tend to have tighter ranges, so it could be fold preflop without more information about the players.
On the flop we are out of position and I like the check / check line. We could have a donk range when there is less connection on the board. For example a 2 instead of a seven, as they will pay you fewer hands when they miss on the turn.
However, here we could play check / raise when we are willing to fold 3-bet, because it means that our opponent can play his stack in this texture and we do not have the best way to continue.
However, I find it strange that villain chose to check this flop. If the LP had any overpair it would have to have bet for protection, in this dangerous texture. So we can infer that the V does not want to protect his range (so it should be very strong).
On the turn we have 2 pairs formed and we are blocking most of the values ​​that V could have in his range. Hands like AQ; AJ; etc.
So here we would like to get value from all the semi bluff hands that we beat. They could pay us a lot of them, so we could bet bigger. (to collect the flop late as well).
The river is a brick that doesn't change anything. I like the bet size you chose on the river.
If we continue with this story the villain will raise and I agree with river fold, if we do not have specific information about the opponent. Apparently he seems to have slow played down with a strong hand that didn't bet from the flop.
Greetings.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre
QJo doesn't play very well. If you want a calling range in the SB it should mostly be pairs for set mining or suited connectors. Look to 3-bet all other hands (include both value combos and bluffs). QJo is neither so I would fold here.

Flop Turn

Flop and turn are fine I think. Sad he didn't c-bet. I'm not sure if you're supposed to sometimes donk here. Turn bet is obvious.

River
You need +- 40% equity to break even on this call. Supposing he raises all his sets, and two pairs (only his QJ combo's since the other ones don't really make sense) and all over pairs (AA, KK) you're already the equity favourite with 51.85%. If he's also raising TPTK (AQ) it's already 62.86%. Considering the action he's probably raising all these hands for value.

Since you're already making a profit versus his value range, any bluffs he might include is just gravy on top. Always call here. Maybe even reraise if he's showing down often with marginal holdings.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Fold preflop, at NL2 you shouldn't have calling range at SB. Flop and turn are played fine. River, I would advocate for a bigger bet, since villain is very capped. Considering action on previous streets villain shouldn't have sets and straights and also villain has ton of pair+draws that bricked. Would go for overbet, your size is too small. When villain raises, against unknown player it's insta call, since you beat overpairs and weaker two pair hands. However there are some nits that raise only with sets. If you know that villain is a nit, then you can fold.

Folding in Poker