T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Should I have bet on the flop also? I have asked this before and I guess I just need more reminders!

I got called by a super tight player PF and couldn't imagine this flop hit him at all with these low cards but if he had Ace high he might call a small bet.

I had been playing decent LAG at this session. Maybe a real splashy bet would have made him think I was bluffing? I know we shouldn't be results-oriented but would there have been a better way to play this?
NL Holdem 0.02(BB)
UTG ($1.54)
EP ($2.02)
MP1 ($1.61)
MP2 ($1.27)
HJ ($2.65)
CO ($2.47)
HERO ($2.73)
BB ($0.80)
Dealt to Hero: 3 3

UTG Folds, EP Folds, MP1 Folds, MP2 Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $0.07, SB Folds, BB Calls $0.05

Hero SPR on Flop: [4.87 effective]
Flop ($0.15): 3 5 3
BB Checks, HERO Checks

Turn ($0.15): 3 5 3 4
BB Checks, HERO Bets $0.02 (Rem. Stack: $2.64), BB Calls $0.02 (Rem. Stack: $0.71)

River ($0.19): 3 5 3 4 A
BB Checks, HERO Bets $0.05 (Rem. Stack: $2.59), BB Folds

HERO wins: $0.19

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open from BTN.

Flop
For sure he have missed this flop a lot, but a tight passive player is probably not going to do a lot of bluffing on the turn. So I still prefer to bet for value. He can have a 5, a pocket pair, A high or a draw, and these hands are not going to fold on the flop. You can size down a little to make him continue wider, but I think, you need to bet at least something. Maybe 5-6c into the 15c pot.

Turn
As predicted you did not get him to take the bait, and now you still need to bet to build the pot. 2c is way to little. More hands have a draw now, and no money went in on the flop, so as played I would bet around 10c here. If he has nothing, like JT of spades, he is not going to put in money on the river anyway. So its more important to try and get some value from those hands, that he can pay you with.

River
Once again your bet sizing is to small. If he hit the ace, or somehow have a 2 and made a straight, he is going to pay more than 25% pot. And if he has the JT of spades, he is going to fold regardless. He is not paying 5c with J high, and he is also not going to check-raise you and turn his hand into a bluff, just because you bet small.

Conclusion
Slowplaying quads can often be fine, but you should mainly do it, when you are out of position, and you should do it against people, who are very aggressive. In position against a tight passive player you just end up limiting the size of the pot, you can win. Of course we dont know, what he had, and maybe there was just no way to get value, regardless what you did. But if he had a hand like 88, its entirely possible, a tight passive player might take it for this line, and then he folded on the river, because he got scared, you had an A or a 2 in your hand. Whereas had you bet the flop and bet the turn for a reasonable size, he would happily have paid.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thank you. I still have much to learn.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer checking on the flop as you did in this hand. With nothing but a call pre flop I am not expecting villain to have a pair here too often and I monopolize a lot of the good hands with this flop. My plan on this hand would be to check the flop hoping villain catches a turn card that makes them some decent equity. If they bet then I would call or raise depending on sizing (would have to be a very small bet for me to raise otherwise I would be planning to raise on the river). If villain checks the turn I would definitely be betting but I would bet on the large side to make it look bluffy plus if villain is going to call a 6 cent bet there they probably are calling a 9 or 10 cent bet there (at 2 NL anyway). Min betting I think is the worst option since it makes it look like you are begging for a call. Plus at that sizing, even if they called then you are not getting much value. On the river as played I think you have to take a shot at getting real value and betting something like 2/3rds pot. If they have nothing then they are folding no matter what you bet.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I prefer checking on the flop as you did in this hand. With nothing but a call pre flop I am not expecting villain to have a pair here too often and I monopolize a lot of the good hands with this flop. My plan on this hand would be to check the flop hoping villain catches a turn card that makes them some decent equity. If they bet then I would call or raise depending on sizing (would have to be a very small bet for me to raise otherwise I would be planning to raise on the river). If villain checks the turn I would definitely be betting but I would bet on the large side to make it look bluffy plus if villain is going to call a 6 cent bet there they probably are calling a 9 or 10 cent bet there (at 2 NL anyway). Min betting I think is the worst option since it makes it look like you are begging for a call. Plus at that sizing, even if they called then you are not getting much value. On the river as played I think you have to take a shot at getting real value and betting something like 2/3rds pot. If they have nothing then they are folding no matter what you bet.

Gotcha. Thank you.