$2 NLHE Full Ring: Flop straight vs 2 villains, help with bet sizing please

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you still seriously asking what you should do?
No, the point of opening this thread was to ask for advice on bet sizing, and at this point I'm just letting you know that I didn't do any of the things that I should have done...

Anyway, I know that I'm not supposed to be results-orientated, but I did achieve my goals of taking them both all the way to the river, and them both being all in at that point.

Poker Stars - $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em (7 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $1.08
BB: $1.43
UTG: $5.35
MP: $2.26
MP+1: $0.83
CO: $0.90
BTN Hero: $2.42
realUAplayer - Sitting Out

Pre-flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN and dealt :kd4: :10c4:
UTG folds, MP calls $0.02, MP+1 calls $0.02, CO folds, Hero calls $0.02, SB folds, BB checks

Flop: ($0.09) :jh4: :9s4: :qd4: (4 players)
BB bets $0.02, MP folds, MP+1 raises to $0.04, Hero raises to $0.10, BB raises to $0.16, MP+1 calls $0.12, Hero raises to $0.50, BB calls $0.34, MP+1 calls $0.34

Turn: ($1.59) :jh4: :9s4: :qd4: :4s4: (3 players)
BB checks, MP+1 checks, Hero bets $0.76, BB calls $0.76, MP+1 calls $0.31 (All-in)

River: ($3.42) :jh4: :9s4: :qd4: :4s4: :9h4: (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.14 (All-in), BB calls $0.15 (All-in), Hero returned $0.99

Final Pot: $3.72

Showdown:
Hero shows :kd4: :10c4: (a straight, nine to king)

BB shows :jd4: :as4: (two pair, jacks and nines)

MP+1 shows :jc4: :10s4: (two pair, jacks and nines)

Outcome: Hero wins $1.15
Outcome: Hero wins $2.40

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, the point of opening this thread was to ask for advice on bet sizing, and at this point I'm just letting you know that I didn't do any of the things that I should have done...

Anyway, I know that I'm not supposed to be results-orientated, but I did achieve my goals of taking them both all the way to the river, and them both being all in at that point.

Showdown:
Hero shows :kd4: :10c4: (a straight, nine to king)

BB shows :jd4: :as4: (two pair, jacks and nines)

MP+1 shows :jc4: :10s4: (two pair, jacks and nines)

Outcome: Hero wins $1.15
Outcome: Hero wins $2.40

It's very unlikely that either were folding regardless of how you played it postflop.

Your play/bet-sizing was poor throughout. Don't let the result reenforce the bad habits you showed in the hand.

Work on your preflop play and bet-sizing.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very unlikely that either were folding regardless of how you played it postflop.

Your play/bet-sizing was poor throughout. Don't let the result reenforce the bad habits you showed in the hand.

Work on your preflop play and bet-sizing.
Yes, what I'm doing is asking questions here about specific situations, and then when those situations occur again I am using the bet sizing that has been recommended here. It's working very well for me so far, so thanks very much for all the advice, it's much appreciated :)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No problem. Really focus on the preflop part of this hand. Isoraising limpers is going to make you a lot more money in the long run than flopping the world.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No problem. Really focus on the preflop part of this hand. Isoraising limpers is going to make you a lot more money in the long run than flopping the world.
That's great advice! It's so easy when analysing hands to only look at the big ones. I seem to remember some famous person (was it Phil Hellmuth?) saying that winning a lot of small pots earns you more money than winning a few big ones.

Also (from a tournament perspective) it means that you are increasing your stack size without facing the risk of being eliminated.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's great advice! It's so easy when analysing hands to only look at the big ones. I seem to remember some famous person (was it Phil Hellmuth?) saying that winning a lot of small pots earns you more money than winning a few big ones.

Also (from a tournament perspective) it means that you are increasing your stack size without facing the risk of being eliminated.
small balling works well with this :D

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would raise preflop and make it like 12c on the flop.