$2 NLHE Full Ring: Feedback on how I played AKs vs 25/13 Villain

S

SilverZander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing with AKs in MP+1 against Villain playing (25/13) in UTG+1.

After reviewing the hand I believe I had equity vs pot odds but even if that's the case, putting that aside, I'm looking for some feedback on how I played this. Thanks in advance for the feedback (and my first post here so apologies if it's in the wrong format etc..)

UTG+1: 195 BB
MP: 128 BB
Hero (MP+1): 170.5 BB
MP+2: 31.5 BB
CO: 267.5 BB
BTN: 100 BB
SB: 100 BB
BB: 37.5 BB
UTG: 218.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A K

fold, UTG+1 raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB

Flop: (19.5 BB, 3 players) 5 A T
UTG+1 checks, MP checks, Hero bets 15 BB, UTG+1 raises to 30 BB, fold, Hero calls 15 BB

Turn: (79.5 BB, 2 players) 3
UTG+1 bets 38.5 BB, Hero calls 38.5 BB

River: (156.5 BB, 2 players) 7
UTG+1 bets 75.5 BB, Hero calls 75.5 BB

UTG+1 shows T T (Three of a Kind, Tens)
(Pre 54%, Flop 97%, Turn 100%)
Hero mucks A K (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 46%, Flop 3%, Turn 0%)
UTG+1 wins 296.5 BB

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, my preflop 3bet size would be larger, but in this case I don't think it would have mattered. Villain could have shown up here with a flush draw, so not much you can do, imho

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 bet sizing should be at least 3x the raise plus and additional 1x per caller in my opinion. I would 3 bet to 12-15 BB here. As played your flop bet is large and it gets min raised. I would cbet maybe 2/3 pot to charge the flush draws. When we go 3/4 pot and get min raised this guys seems to want to get stacks in. The Ad is not on the board so there are a number of flush draws he can play aggressively, especially if he has the Ad. I would expect those flush draws to use a larger sizing to have some fold equity though. This min raise seems to want to build a pot which is a bit scary. At any rate we are too strong to fold so I like the flop call. The turn is probably the most critical decision point. He's giving a decent price again but it seems too nitty to fold. River is another tough spot. Many players will give up with missed draws but some of the missed draws may have gotten there due to our tiny 3 bet sizing Ad7d, Ad3d, AT, TT, 55. If you have a river aggression factor or frequency stat I would use that. Otherwise I guess we have to lean call. His line seems super strong with value sizings though. I'd like to say I may fold some percentage of the time on turn or river but you may need some decent stats on V to make that fold. Calling turn just to fold a blank river seems really bad. Other than the pre flop and flop sizing I think your line is probably fine. Trying to find folds on this turn seems too nitty even though all the signs are there. This is why I love to set mine and another reason why we need to deny set mining odds to the smaller pairs with stronger 3 bet sizings.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Playing with AKs in MP+1 against Villain playing (25/13) in UTG+1.

After reviewing the hand I believe I had equity vs pot odds but even if that's the case, putting that aside, I'm looking for some feedback on how I played this. Thanks in advance for the feedback (and my first post here so apologies if it's in the wrong format etc..)

UTG+1: 195 BB
MP: 128 BB
Hero (MP+1): 170.5 BB
MP+2: 31.5 BB
CO: 267.5 BB
BTN: 100 BB
SB: 100 BB
BB: 37.5 BB
UTG: 218.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A K

fold, UTG+1 raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB

Flop: (19.5 BB, 3 players) 5 A T
UTG+1 checks, MP checks, Hero bets 15 BB, UTG+1 raises to 30 BB, fold, Hero calls 15 BB

Turn: (79.5 BB, 2 players) 3
UTG+1 bets 38.5 BB, Hero calls 38.5 BB

River: (156.5 BB, 2 players) 7
UTG+1 bets 75.5 BB, Hero calls 75.5 BB

UTG+1 shows T T (Three of a Kind, Tens)
(Pre 54%, Flop 97%, Turn 100%)
Hero mucks A K (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 46%, Flop 3%, Turn 0%)
UTG+1 wins 296.5 BB

Hello there SilverZander, welcome to the CardsChat community and thank you very much for sharing your hand. I'll try to help you.

The Preflop

As commented for Cornbread, your 3-bet/Squeeze sizing should be a little bit higher, otherwise you give excellent odds for your Villains to continue with a pretty wide range.
We could go here for 10 blinds, 11, 12, depending how fishy the opponents even 13, 14, in the case we feel they don't fold too much to 3-bet. 3 players call and this is never a good sign.

the postflop

The Flop

Do you think you have the best hand and can get immediately paid by worst hands such as AJ and AQ? Okay, possible hands on Villain's ranges but they also will have a lot of bluffs and strong value hands: for example, if Villains are holding now 22, 33, 44, 66, 77, 88, even 99, TT, JJ and QQ it is a very hard call, because Hero goes for almost 3/4 of the pot, representing the top of its range: AA, AK.
When UTG raises Hero OTF, for a very large non-sense sizing IMO, I remove almost all the bluff combos of a weak player ranges: fishes can bluff straight-flush draws, but given the bad odds hero gave them, only exceptional aggro donkeys are doing so.
So, after we remove almost all the bluff combos that could be raising for bluff, we must be realistic and put the value combos: AA these guys will never have here, we have removal etc, but, given that 3-bet/Squeeze was very cheap, weak calling players like this can easily have A5 and AT, for example.
They can easily have 55 and TT and be doing the same, so out TPTK lost a lot of value.
Consider the original pot was already far away higher than medium 3-bet pots (3 players into the pot), consider that Hero bets almost 3/4 pot and get raised.
If we start to be even more realistic here we are going to remove its combos of A5 and AT, because we block most of them so it rests only the sets with 55 and TT.
Considering that both Hero and Villain have deeper stacks than usual, how would I have played this hand to avoid possible disasters, where we can never call them "coolers":

1) Squeeze preflop a decent sizing: go for 4.5x to 5x, so you do not give excellent odds for your opponents OOP and IP and in the Blinds as well.

2) If many (weak) players enter the pot I would not go for 2/3 c-bet flop or more, and when I get raised with a non-sense sizing, I am simply folding my TPTK, unless the price is very sweet and impossible to fold.

3) If we do bet 1/3 OTF and get a fair raise we can still call to fold to almost any turn card

The Turn

It doesn't make any sense to be paying here anymore, since UTG is not bluffing and it is not betting this 3c.

The River

We are guessing and overplaying our value range. Consequence: we lose massive value by doing so.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

S

SilverZander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the comments. Much appreciated! I need to re-read the information (two or three times) that has been shared to make it stick. :D

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your 3-bet sizing is a major mistake, and it affect the way, the whole hand play out. If you had sized the 3-bet correctly and still gotten both callers, the pot would be around 45BB, the stack to pot ratio less than 4, and you would pretty much only lose to TT, if they defended correctly. And yeah in that case I am probably just sticking it in on the flop, and if he flip over TT, then nice hand to him.

Now however you also gave them great odds to call with 55, AT and A5s. So there are a lot more hands, that beat you, and as has already been said, his line scream value. And therefore you have to fold if not on the turn then at least on the river. It does not matter, that he could have a draw, because this is not going to be the case nearly often enough for a regular at 2NL. He will show you 2 pair or a set here 90+% of the time.