$2 NLHE Full Ring: Does the opponent have a full house or is it a bluff?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 7 players

UTG: ($0.63 in chips)
MP: ($2.43 in chips)
MP + 1: ($2 in chips)
CO: ($0.77 in chips)
BTN (Villain): ($ 1.28 in chips)
SB: ($2.53 in chips)
BB (Hero): ($1.08 in chips)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with [4s 3h]
4 players fold; Villain: raises to $0.06; SB: fold; Hero: calls
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]Flop: ($0.13) [4h Qd 4c](2 players)
Hero: checks; Villain: checks

Turn: ($0.13) [4h Qd 4c] Q♣
Hero: bets $0.13; Villain: raises to $0.28; Hero: calls

River: ($0.69) [4h Qd 4c Qc] 6♥
Hero: checks; Villain: bets $0.36; Hero: calls

Total pot: ($ 1.41)

I want to provoke the opponent to bluff on this board given the hand line. But its range can be such hands as AQ, KQ, JQ, and others that we need to be wary of.​
The result will be published in 2 weeks, when your opinions are heard on this matter.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
First of all why is Hero not starting with a full stack? As for the hand we can defend wider against a BTN open, but when he go to 3x in a game with no antes, I would still fold 43o. If we defend this, we are defending at least 90% of hands, which is definitely to much.

Flop
On a flop like this Hero has the nut advantage, because he is more likely than BTN to have a 4 in his hand. For that reason it can be fine to simply lead out (donk bet) and try to get some value. Checking is also fine though, since our hand dont need much protection, and it allow Villain to C-bet with a lot of bluffs.

Turn
This was the worst possible card for our hand, since we now lose to QX. One might argue, that Villain is less likely to have QX, because he checked back the flop, but checking back some QX with weak kicker is actually a reasonable play on Q44 rainbow. So I prefer to check again or go for a smaller bet like half pot. If we bet, we are trying to get called by rather weak hands like a pocket pair or even A high, so we dont want to bomb it, like Hero did.

Hero did bomb it though, and now Villain made essentially a min-raise. This spot just suck. He is going to have a lot of QX, when he takes this line, and what are his bluffs? On a dubble paired board draws are almost useless, since any Q or 4 already has a full house. Also if Hero is behind, he has 1 out. So as played I almost prefer to fold right now.

River
As expected nothing changed. He still have either a better full house with any random QX, or he is bluffing. He bet around half pot, so Hero need to be good a little more than 1 in 4 times to make the call. Hero can absolutely have a Q here, and unless there was some history and dynamic, I dont think, Villain has enough bluffs. So if I called the turn, I would still fold now.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree in the large part with fundiver. I think that we can defend 43o pre flop. IMO check on the flop is the best decision, because the board seems safe, board is rainbow, without some draw to flush. The turn card isn't good for this hand. I'm not sure what means check on the flop from the opponent. I think that if opponent has a Qx and hit top pair on the flop he should bet on the flop to protect top pair before some king or ace. In the other hand check on the flop can mean slowplay from the opponent, so every thing is possible. Very helpful would be some information about opponent, what cards he showed before this hand, if he bluff somebody at the table. If he didn't bluff I think I could fold this full house. If he bluffed at the tables I think I could call this bet on the river. GL :)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
First of all why is Hero not starting with a full stack? As for the hand we can defend wider against a BTN open, but when he go to 3x in a game with no antes, I would still fold 43o. If we defend this, we are defending at least 90% of hands, which is definitely to much.
I start with 100 BB extremely rarely, only when some players at the table are well-studied. Medium stack and smaller allows for more concentration and makes players with larger stacks feel superior when they are actually behind. My 70 BB just decreased a bit during the game. And when good cards don't come for a very long time, you realize that it's time to expand the range of blind protection.
The pot becomes weighty on the river. Why doesn't the villain go all in with the queen in his pocket?:icon_quee

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The pot becomes weighty on the river. Why doesn't the villain go all in with the queen in his pocket?:icon_quee

Maybe because he was playing a lot of tables, and his decision to bet the river with top boat was so trivial, that he did not really stop to think. Instead he just clicked a preset bet slicer button and focused on a hand on another table. It could also be argued, that if he was bluffing, he should move all in to make it look more scary. But then again some players might think, it looks stronger to leave themselfes a little bit behind. In general I recommend not spending to much time trying to figure out, what a certain bet size means. Just play fundamentally sound poker and call small bets more often than big bets :)

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre.
Sure you can have a pretty wide defending range in the BB, but I don't think 43o should be in that range. As played calling is fine, but I'd be expecting to lose facing the turn reraise

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I chose this hand for a reason. The fact is that I also thought like you that the villain's cards can be AQ, KQ, QJ. My bet on the turn looked like a bluff, so the opponent decided to bluff me. But he didn't dare put an all-in on the river. So it gave me some thoughts and allowed me to live to see the showdown.

*** SHOW DOWN ***
Villain: shows [Kh Ts] (two pair, Queens and Fours)
Hero: shows [4s 3h] (a full house, Fours full of Queens)
Hero collected $1.36 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1.41 | Rake $0.05