$2 NLHE Full Ring: AQo, 3-bet versus frequent 3-better, hero calls...

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This villain likes to 3-bet I decided to call on BU with AQo. He was aggressive when he got involved in pots, kind of TAG-ish but 3bet too often to be considered tight.

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 7 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG: $2.52 (126 bb)
MP: $4.48 (224 bb)
MP+1: $0.83 (42 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU (Hero): $1.58 (79 bb)
SB: $1.63 (82 bb)
BB: $4.29 (215 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with A Q
4 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, SB 3-bets to $0.18, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.38) Q A T (2 players)
SB bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.74) 8 (2 players)
SB bets $0.44, Hero calls $0.44

River: ($1.62) 5 (2 players)
SB bets $0.83 (all-in), Hero .....????

Villains range is uncapped heading into the flop so I give him a range like;

TT+,ATs+,KJs+,QJs,AJo+

flop comes I get top 2 pair blocking some of his sets, is there any way I can fold this hand ? or is this just a cooler if I call the river and he has me beat? how else would you fellow members choose to play this hand in this position ? would you have shoved flop? I thought shoving flop I am forcing him to play well and folding his bluffs and marginal hands .Thank you in advance.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against an aggressive player there is no way, you can ever fold top two pair on this board. Sure some straights are possible, but he can have many other hands as well including AK or a worse two pair. Also I dont expect to see a straight here other than exactly KJs, which is only 4 combos. KJo, J9s or J9o are not typical 3-betting hands even for an aggressive 3-better. I would have raised the flop. Its a very wet board, and you are way ahead of his range.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call against anyone even more so against the opponent you describe.

I see that he plays with 82bb, I don't know if he applies short stack strategy and it just happened to win some pots. If not then he's certainly not a regular and more likely some kind maniac who has fun xD.
Have you seen any of his hands? Is he tight really?
Sure we lose from some hands but we can't fold AQ here.

You could put a raise on flop but since he's aggro let him bet. (we guess he will bet turn)
But on turn I prefer to raise hard or shove mainly for value and some protection.
The river is a great card for us.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Play fullstacked!
2) I would raus flop. So many scared cards to come that could make you beat or kill action

As played, we have to call down.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't fold there. I too like a flop raise, as that board seems to have hit him quite hard, but unlikely as hard as it hit you.

Also, there are some terrible turns and/or rivers that could make things very tricky to negotiate.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think that I play here like hero. On the flop I don't raise top two pair, because opponent played bet for less than 50% of the pot and it is for me a little too small bet to raise. On the flop I prefer only call. He play OOP and he is aggressor so sometimes he will bet on the flop and later on the turn OOP. On the turn he plays more than 50% of the pot and now he is more devote in this pot. You can raise him, but I usually play here also only call. I don't afraid usually river, because not too many bad cards will came on the river. Not too often opponent will have suited connector cards on the micro level in range, so I don't afraid flush on the river. More possible situation here is that opponent have broadway cards and on that board he have one pair with gut shot, not too many outs to beat your two pair. If he has something stronger than your two pair it happens sometimes, it is cooler, but on that board we can't fold top two pair.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This villain likes to 3-bet I decided to call on BU with AQo. He was aggressive when he got involved in pots, kind of TAG-ish but 3bet too often to be considered tight.

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 7 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG: $2.52 (126 bb)
MP: $4.48 (224 bb)
MP+1: $0.83 (42 bb)
CO: $2.00 (100 bb)
BU (Hero): $1.58 (79 bb)
SB: $1.63 (82 bb)
BB: $4.29 (215 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with A Q
4 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, SB 3-bets to $0.18, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.38) Q A T (2 players)
SB bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.74) 8 (2 players)
SB bets $0.44, Hero calls $0.44

River: ($1.62) 5 (2 players)
SB bets $0.83 (all-in), Hero .....????

Villains range is uncapped heading into the flop so I give him a range like;

TT+,ATs+,KJs+,QJs,AJo+

flop comes I get top 2 pair blocking some of his sets, is there any way I can fold this hand ? or is this just a cooler if I call the river and he has me beat? how else would you fellow members choose to play this hand in this position ? would you have shoved flop? I thought shoving flop I am forcing him to play well and folding his bluffs and marginal hands .Thank you in advance.

As played call river, if you're beat it's a cooler.

He can value bet worse, there are many missed draws, he can use a blocker to bluff

I would shove turn here sometimes and expect to get the call from draws and maybe some AK. There are many action killing rivers that otherwise cost you the final bet.

given the amount of money behind and the fact we want him to value bet AK and draws for us I don't see much merit to raising the flop.

Well played, unlucky if you lost.:icon_thum

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rather 4Bet $0.52 Fold to a 5Bet

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no need to shove the flop. You should make it 60-65c and then jam the rest in on any clean turn card including this one.

Thank U 4 Posting.

I agree with fundiver and here is why

We ant to get all in vs our V's draws. That is how we double our stacks.
When you watch pro's play most all-in pots are big hand vs draw.
So shoving to get folds is a bad idea when we have top 2.

We never want an aggressive villain to not keep bluffing. Will we lose some pots yes.
We will however win more pots than lose vs a villain we allow to bluff us and call them down.

Poker is not about any single pot. It as about all the pots. So we never worry about losing a pot if we are playing correctly and our villain hits.

So focus on maximizing profit, which means keeping villains in pots, which means we will lose some of those pots when they trap us or suckout.

The math is like this if we have 70% equity we win 7 all-ins and lose 3 for a net of 4 stacks. Do not focus on the 3 we lose just know we will win 7.

Hope this helps
:):):)