$2 NLHE Full Ring: Am I being results-oriented after calling 27BB w/ TPTK?

V

vwls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG: 69 BB
UTG+1: 326 BB
Player (MP): 316 BB
CO: 100 BB
Opponent (BTN): 37.5 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 2)
SB: 100.5 BB
BB: 67.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Player has A K

fold, UTG+1 calls 1 BB, Player calls 1 BB, fold, BTN raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, fold, Player calls 3 BB

Flop: (10.5 BB, 2 players) T A Q
Player checks, BTN bets 6.5 BB, Player calls 6.5 BB

Turn: (23.5 BB, 2 players) 9
Player checks, BTN bets 27 BB and is all-in, Player calls 27 BB

River: (77.5 BB, 2 players) 4

Result:
Player shows A K (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 43%, Flop 15%, Turn 9%)
BTN shows T T (Three of a Kind, Tens)
(Pre 57%, Flop 85%, Turn 91%)
BTN wins 74 BB
My thoughts:
This hand is from a while ago, and I found it while looking into a player that I hadn't seen at the Omaha tables, but that I had seen at NLHE tables. I do believe that I played this hand poorly, but I want to make sure I'm not being results-oriented. I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time, but this player's hands from around that time show that he was very aggressive with big hands like sets. Other than those, he was all-in with TPTK at best and A-high at worst, once even pre-flop shoving AKs. That said, they are also very tight. Despite their sometimes overly aggressive plays, they are always in with good made hands or good starting hands. Is their random spazzing off chips with A-high enough reason to call them down here? The following is from my notes: "I think the first call was okay, but I could have folded, once they were all-in. Against a player who usually has a big hand when playing this aggressively, I can get out. Even though they are liable to get weird with Ace-high, that was vs. an opponent's aggression, whom they had some history with. They were cautious with a set on a wet board, so their big aggression here says big hand, to me. They are also very tight, so any big Ace hit two-pair, plus there are the set possibilities. This pot ended with almost 80 BB, which is way too much for me to be getting caught up w/ only TPTK."

I also just noticed that I limped AK. As I said, I don't remember what I was thinking, at the time. I may have leveled myself, thinking that my opponent was just being aggressive against my perceived weakness.

Again, I am not sure if I am being results-oriented or if my reasoning is even sound.

EDIT: I just realized that I had no stats on this opponent, at the time this hand took place. I only had two hands on them. After 209 hands, they are 17/9. if anyone has any thoughts on how this played out read-less vs. if I had more information, that would be appreciated. I hold the same opinion, either way.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only mistake is limp calling AK pre. Why did you do this?

M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isolation raise pre. Jam flop against shortie.

T

thatspoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As poor as your choice to limp was, you got the perfect spot to back-raise preflop once it came back to you. Shame you didn't.
As played, given he's a shortstack too I would not fold that turn either. Your hand is disguised somewhat too due to your preflop actions. I will say though that it's not a great board to have to call it off with AK but without knowing anything more about the opponent I don't think you can fold

B

BPEPFPDP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You defenently must play AK more aggressive than just limp..., and put pressure to induce bluffs.

J

Jreece18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop is poor, but coming up against TT I doubt your Preflop play would've made much of a difference

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going to limp preflop, you can at least raise when someone tries to isolate you. Limp-calling with AK is so weak.

Once you reach the flop, I'm getting it in against this short-stacker. Whether you decide to check-call 2 streets or just check-shove the flop is up to you, but I'm not folding here either.

V

vwls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

This hand is from a while ago, and I'm not sure why I limped. I'm mostly concerned with the post-flop scenario, in which everyone seems to agree that my calls were fine.

Does anyone have a different opinion about the post-flop action now that I know this opponent is TAG? In this situation, he's an unknown, but what if I had the information that I have now?

Also, what if he wasn't short-stacked? Is AK a hand that I could commit to against this aggression, if he was also deep?

T

Tomasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never limp AK preflop , on the flop raise stackoff , no brainer

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have a different opinion about the post-flop action now that I know this opponent is TAG? In this situation, he's an unknown, but what if I had the information that I have now?

Also, what if he wasn't short-stacked? Is AK a hand that I could commit to against this aggression, if he was also deep?

You should assume that every unknown is playing basic TAG, ABC poker until you have a read.

The deeper the stacks, the tighter your stackoff range needs to be. Otherwise you're going to get destroyed by set-miners and nut-peddlers. Against a short-stacked opponent (less than 50bb) though, you're generally going to want to stack off TPTK and overpairs every time.

V

vwls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should assume that every unknown is playing basic TAG, ABC poker until you have a read.

The deeper the stacks, the tighter your stackoff range needs to be. Otherwise you're going to get destroyed by set-miners and nut-peddlers. Against a short-stacked opponent (less than 50bb) though, you're generally going to want to stack off TPTK and overpairs every time.

Thank you, very much. That's exactly what I needed to know.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never limp AK preflop , on the flop raise stackoff , no brainer
You called?

When someone is sitting there with 37.9bbs I will instantly label them as fishy. If they are good shortstackers they will still be reloading to a set amount so you can rule that out.

There is the odd occasion that I will see someone who I have tagged as a good player sitting there with a weird short stack but that is a very rare exception to the norm.

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When someone is sitting there with 37.9bbs I will instantly label them as fishy. If they are good shortstackers they will still be reloading to a set amount so you can rule that out.

There is the odd occasion that I will see someone who I have tagged as a good player sitting there with a weird short stack but that is a very rare exception to the norm.

You make a good point. I was mainly referring to those with full 100bb stacks. But you're right: if a player has a 40bb stack, they're probably a fishy, passive calling station.

V

vwls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You called?

:D:D:D

I picture you waking up every morning and searching for "no brainer" in the forums.

You make a good point. I was mainly referring to those with full 100bb stacks. But you're right: if a player has a 40bb stack, they're probably a fishy, passive calling station.

Good stuff. You're right about the passivity of short stackers. It's funny to me--though I'm not completely familiar with short stack cash play--I thought the strategy was to play tight and very aggressive. I often see short stackers doing just the opposite, playing the majority of their hands and calling their stack away. It's even weirder when people do this in Limit games, as playing short doesn't seem like a viable strategy in any circumstances.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are right about good shortstackers playing tight and aggressive. Therefore unless you note someone down as a good shortstacker you should just assume that they are fishy.

Another way to figure out if they are actually playing a shortstack strategy is to see if they are reloading. If someone is reloading each hand to 40bbs then they should have a strategy to play that sized stack whereas someone that does not reload does not have a strategy for their stack size and just plays with what they have on the table .

T

thatspoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You won't find any good shortstackers at those levels really at all.
Make sure to take notes of these kinds of players so you know what to expect in the future.
At the micro and lower limits especially, anyone not playing with a full stack with auto-reload on is going to be quite fishy, as a general rule.