UTG+1: $1.57 (79 bb)
MP: $1.50 (75 bb)
MP+1: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $3.00 (150 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.56 (128 bb)
SB: $1.73 (87 bb)
BB: $0.76 (38 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with K♥ A♣
4 players fold, CO raises to $0.06, Hero 3-bets to $0.18, 2 players fold, CO calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.39) T♥ A♠ 9♥ (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $0.16, CO raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.24

Turn: ($1.19) 3♠ (2 players)
CO bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70

River: ($2.59) 8♠ (2 players)
CO bets $1.72 (all-in), Hero calls $1.28 (all-in)

Total pot: $5.15 (Rake: $0.18)

Showdown:
CO shows A♦ Q♦ (a pair of Aces)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 30%, Flop: 14%, Turn: 7%, River: 0%)

BU (Hero) shows K♥ A♣ (a pair of Aces - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 70%, Flop: 86%, Turn: 93%, River: 100%)

BU (Hero) wins $4.97

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just interested in the general decisionmaking process playing TPTK in 3-bet pots. I decided to call because I figured there shouldn't be that much suited spades in his range since the ace of spades is on the board and we're in a 3 bet pot.

Looking at it closer after the fact I guess he has AA, TT, 99, QJ, all Ax two pair combo's that he could play similarly, so I have a hard time justifying my play.

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At 2NL I would be trying to get this in on the flop. Plenty of other worse Ax combos call, possibly other flush and straight draws as well although you block a the Kxh flush draw combos.

Still it's 2NL. No need to overthink at this level.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a 3 bet pot at $2 NL, TPTK is good enough to get it in on the flop. Sometimes you'll be beaten, but a lot of the time you will win vs hands exactly like villain's.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
At 2NL and with relatively deep stacks I prefer a larger 3-bet. At these stakes a lot of players just dont fold to 3-bets, so why not charge him some more. We are mostly going to be 3-betting for value anyway at a limit like this.

Flop
Stack to pot ratio was around 6, which is somewhat in the grey zone for stacking off TPTK. Even so this is 2NL, so I think, my plan here would still be to try to get it in. Which would have been a little easier, had the 3-bet been larger. Since there is so much stack still left behind, I would definitely make a bigger bet now. At these stakes most players are inelastic, so you can bet 30c here and still get action almost as often, as when you bet 16c. Anyways you go small, and now you get check-raised. Here I would probably just 3-bet with intentions to stack off, if he jam. Again its 2NL, players tend to be bad at these stakes, so I think, we can do this profitably.

Turn
Turn card is a complete blank, and he fire pretty large. If you call here, half your stack will be in the pot, and in that situation I dont really like folding TPTK on the river. I also think, that busted draws will tend to mostly give up. So for me this is decision time. If we are going to go with the hand, I prefer to get it in now. I think, going with the hand is profitable at 2NL, so I would just jam and be done. If he then fold a draw, that is fine, because we deny his equity.

River
This is one of those tough river spots, which I would rather have avoided. Backdoor spades coming in is not so important, because how often does he really have that, when he check-raise the flop. QJ came in as well though, and I would have been more happy, if he had checked. But even so I am not into putting in half my stack with TPTK and then fold on the river, when there are still some missed draws or perhaps even worse hands, he is overvaluing, as in fact turned out to be the case. You need to be good 1 out of 4 times, and I think, you are.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 32/20/1.6

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624EURlF9

UTG: $0.34 (17 bb)
UTG+1: $1.57 (79 bb)
MP: $1.50 (75 bb)
MP+1: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $3.00 (150 bb)
BU (Hero): $2.56 (128 bb)
SB: $1.73 (87 bb)
BB: $0.76 (38 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with K♥ A♣
4 players fold, CO raises to $0.06, Hero 3-bets to $0.18, 2 players fold, CO calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.39) T♥ A♠ 9♥ (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $0.16, CO raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.24

Turn: ($1.19) 3♠ (2 players)
CO bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70

River: ($2.59) 8♠ (2 players)
CO bets $1.72 (all-in), Hero calls $1.28 (all-in)

Total pot: $5.15 (Rake: $0.18)

Showdown:
CO shows A♦ Q♦ (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 30%, Flop: 14%, Turn: 7%, River: 0%)

BU (Hero) shows K♥ A♣ (a pair of Aces - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 70%, Flop: 86%, Turn: 93%, River: 100%)

BU (Hero) wins $4.97

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just interested in the general decisionmaking process playing TPTK in 3-bet pots. I decided to call because I figured there shouldn't be that much suited spades in his range since the ace of spades is on the board and we're in a 3 bet pot.

Looking at it closer after the fact I guess he has AA, TT, 99, QJ, all Ax two pair combo's that he could play similarly, so I have a hard time justifying my play.

Preflop is totally okay. On the flop, I would be jamming right off the bat: CO cannot simply raises us on this very connected flop, because CO doesn't own the best hands possible for this flop, however we do own the best hands:
We have AA, AK, TT, 99, T9, A9, you name it.
CO can almost never show AA or AK because those hands would be 4-betting preflop almost automatically.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think the decision making process here is most important too.

If you think he doesn't have many suited cards in his range, then V's XR on the flop is super value heavy. I mean, TT, 99 and ATs are what I think he can do this with. Just something to consider.... how many semi bluffs does the average player have here?

I don't think you can fold on the flop, but the turn you should think about it, unless you know this guy is playing how he is. I like fundiver's thought that you should consider shoving over V on the turn- if you feel you are good often enough in that spot, just go with it.

I don't want to analyze V's play too much, but I think it's important to acknowledge how badly most of the micro population plays 3bet pots. If V can XR TPGK, then you have to go all the way with this.