$2 NLHE Full Ring: AK missed flop how do you play it here?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 44/24/2

villains stats 44VPIP/24PRF/2AG over 60 hands

This villain had been trying to play alot of hands in position on people, I seen him iso raise limps and 3bet raiser while he was in CO and BU, how would you have played AK here I know there is always an option to c/f flop but I had backdoor flush equity with overcards so I bet, on the turn is where I feel like I should have c/f? bet bigger? or call?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 8 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.38 (69 bb)
UTG+1 (Hero): $1.54 (77 bb)
MP: $2.47 (124 bb)
MP+1: $3.24 (162 bb)
CO: $1.36 (68 bb)
BU: $1.81 (91 bb)
SB: $5.44 (272 bb)
BB: $1.98 (99 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG+1 with A K
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.07, 3 players fold, BTN calls $0.07, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.17) Q 8 J (2 players)
Hero bets $0.10, BTN calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.37) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.20, BTN raises to $0.40, UTG+1 (Hero) folds

Total pot: $0.77 (Rake: $0.03)
BU wins $0.74

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad flop.

Your bet on flop is fine since we have two overcards, gutshot and backdoor flush and villain will likely fold any small or medium pair.
But since he calls the flop and we miss on the turn I think it's time to abandon.

Sometimes people just call any cbet with anything, just cause, and they often give up on a second barrel but here with that wet of a board where we completely missed and a turn which changes nothing it's better to check/fold.

Villain's stats shows that he plays many hands but 60 hands it's a small size to make any safe assumptions, unless you show any of his cards during that time and were complete rags.
But even then it doesn't really matter on our situation on this hand in my opinion.

As for his min raise on your bet on turn. I struggle here a lot. I don't like min bets and min raises xD. I feel that he gives us a good chance to see the river card. Although raises on the turn are most of the times a very strong hand even when it's a min raise which sometimes is a poor bluff but more than often tries to provoke a larger bet from us or has the nuts and tries to hold us in the hand by investing some more money. So fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Somewhat large raise, but at 2NL I do not mind it.

Flop
Against a nit or tag, someone with stats like 16/13 or 11/9, I like a C-bet here. The reason is, they usually call to setmine, and that kind of range has missed this board completely. So we can basically turn our AK into a bluff and get them off a coinflip.

Against a play machine like this though, I prefer to check the flop. His range is wide, and a lot of it has connected with this board. Also he is playing for fun, so in general he is probably not interested in folding. This mean, a C-bet get few folds, and when you get called, you are not doing well, even though you have some equity.

Often people will C-bet out of position, because it feels better than check-calling. But we need to remember, that our opponent will not always bet when checked to, and with a marginal made hand + a marginal draw the best outcome for us is really, that the flop goes check-check.

If he bet, then we just make a decision. Small bet = call, large bet like an overbet = fold. Its important to remember, that poker is not about winning hands, its about winning money. And against someone like this, we just need to accept, that he will win most of the small pots, especially when he have position. And this is ok, because we will win most of the big ones.

Turn
Your flop bet was questionable but not really bad. Now however I really dont like your bet. He called once already, which mean, he probably has something, and whenever the board pair with middle or bottom card, this is always much better for the callers range. So I am not surpriced, he raised you here. And weather he had it, or just played back, you have no more options left than to just give up.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, pre flop I play bigger raise - 4x. After the flop you have two option, bet or check. In this situation with queen and jack on the flop I think is better play countination bet over 50% of the pot, because opponent can have some hands like small pocket pair and when he has small pocket pair he usually fold on this flop. On the turn I agree with Moulan7 that we missed the turn and I prefer here playing check/ fold. I think if he calls your bet on the flop he usually has something one pair of queens or pair of jack. As played on the turn it is easy fold to his raise.

F

fast_frog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cbet or c/c both work otf, but turn why are you betting? You're not getting folds from a fish really, so just throwing money into the pot, I'd just c/f I guess, I know it sucks but can't do much.

H

Hearmeroar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree up to the point of the turn and don't see myself playing too differently. I might elect to x/c the flop vs this Villain, but I don't think it's horrible to cbet. Once the turn misses us I am check folding especially when the board pairs. We could have continued with a better turn but now I think it's time to let it go.

Flop

If he bet, then we just make a decision. Small bet = call, large bet like an overbet = fold. Its important to remember, that poker is not about winning hands, its about winning money. And against someone like this, we just need to accept, that he will win most of the small pots, especially when he have position. And this is ok, because we will win most of the big ones

Firstly, I thoroughly enjoy your input on various hands in the forum and would like to thank you for contributing. I agree with a lot of your reply to the hand. I am just curious on your thoughts for further action in the hand going with a x/c on the flop.

Assuming he bets 3/4 pot or full pot and we call what is our plan on a favorable turn vs this villain? On say a blank diamond? Are we checking hoping to either see a check back or check raising assuming villain stays aggressive? How about a non heart A or K? I was just wondering how you would approach different turn cards. I look forward to your input, thank you.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing devil's advocate here. I think Hero's line is a fine alternative to x/c, x/f here. It will depend on the V which is better. OOP I think we need to barrel this turn if we bet flop otherwise a good V will be betting all of their value and all of their draws and all of there other bluffs OTT with impunity and we wont be able to continue. With Hero's line we have a very easy fold since V is virtually never bluffing here and a bet can keep some smaller Qx, Jx, and even 8x that want to slow play from betting and give us a chance to improve on the river. If our V is passive and has no bluffs then x/c, x/f is far superior but this V has 24% PFR over a tiny sample so I think I actually prefer our double barrel here for balance. This flop should hit our raising range hard, if we are checking every flop we miss we will get crushed by anyone with a clue or some moderate aggression.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop 3.5 X is fine at a full table.

Flop bet is good vs one player with gutter and 2 overs.

Once he calls the flop and with that turn, I would shut down and check.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your line is fine. Turn your hand is perhaps a bit weak to check call and double barrel you may get some Jx, TT/99 to fold. Turn overbet not a good option as you don't really have nut advantage vs villain range.

F

fast_frog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OOP I think we need to barrel this turn if we bet flop otherwise a good V will be betting all of their value and all of their draws and all of there other bluffs OTT with impunity and we wont be able to continue

Are you saying to bet all your range on the turn? You have to have some hands that can c/c, c/raise and c/f otherwise you will be open to exploitation regardless.

That guy is 44/24 though, not a good villain. He's not folding anything that called flop, so you're just throwing money into a pot you can only win by getting lucky.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Assuming he bets 3/4 pot or full pot and we call what is our plan on a favorable turn vs this villain? On say a blank diamond? Are we checking hoping to either see a check back or check raising assuming villain stays aggressive? How about a non heart A or K? I was just wondering how you would approach different turn cards. I look forward to your input, thank you.

In a spot like this I am mainly hoping, that Villain checks back. If he bet 3/4 pot or full pot, I am just folding. The opponent is a fish, and they tend to be fairly honest and face up in their actions. So if he makes a large bet, we can be pretty sure, that we are behind and drawing. I think, people often bet out of position, because they dont want to get bluffed, but that is not really a good reason for betting. I guess, you can argue for making a blocker bet here like to set our own price to see the turn. But then we should bet on the smaller side.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C F turn. If the turn bought a flush draw, or completed the straight, I would bet. A or K aren't really good betting cards on that board. Pairing the boards not good because your hand may be drawing dead, and there aren't many hands that call the flop and find a fold on that turn.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you saying to bet all your range on the turn? You have to have some hands that can c/c, c/raise and c/f otherwise you will be open to exploitation regardless.

That guy is 44/24 though, not a good villain. He's not folding anything that called flop, so you're just throwing money into a pot you can only win by getting lucky.
No, I’m saying setting a cheap price with a hand as strong as two overs and a gut shot against a wide range that has bluffs is better imo than c/f any hand with no pair.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop 3.5 X is fine at a full table.

Flop bet is good vs one player with gutter and 2 overs.

Once he calls the flop and with that turn, I would shut down and check.

I usually 3x preflop. 2.5x in Late positions.

I would also bet flop and c/f turn.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As an alternative line: after betting preflop, you could check Opa by playing through a check. He plays a lot of hands and he has 10, 9 ready to be straight.
If he checks, then there are two options on the turn, either check or bet on the turn is difficult to rearrange the bet without a ready hand.
If he bets on the flop, then depending on the size of his bet, either call or fold.
Rationale: The flop is not very good because it’s better not to overclock the pot and see the turn and river as cheap as possible.