Folds to hero, who 3-Bets to 30c
Folds to UTG+1, who 4-Bets to 60c
Hero calls

Pot is $1.17 both players have $1.70 behind
Flop comes 6h 7h 6c
UTG+1 raises to 60c
Hero shoves for $1.70
UTG+1 calls

UTG+1 had just joined the table so I had no useful information. He was obviously aggressive but I didn't have much else to go on.

It feels like this is -EV play on my part. I'm terrible with overpairs. The 4-bet was weird to me since he min bet.

Should I have called the 4-bet?
Should I have shoved preflop?
What should I have done post-flop?

Feedback is much appreciated.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea that's tough from an unknown. 5x open seems really large for UTG+1, then to follow with a min 4 bet feels super nutted. I'd expect to see KK+ a ton here. It's tough to fold to the min 4 bet in position with QQ though, seems like we have to continue for this price but at the same time it feels like V really wants a call. I think it's not a huge mistake to fold to the 4 bet or to call. In my experience at 2NL probably only 1 out of 3 players is 4 betting AK or worse so as nitty as it sounds I may gift wrap 15 BB to this guy and get some better reads and fold pre. I think 5 betting only targets bluffs and AK, we want the bluffs to continue so no use in raising those, and we are only flipping vs AK. Once we call SPR is so tiny that it's probably correct to stack off on this flop. If we fold it would be some sort of exploitative fold where we are almost certain this guy has KK+. But if we knew that, we wouldn't have called pre. We shouldn't be expecting many checks on the flop after getting 4 bet right? So that factors into the pre flop call. We aren't just calling the 30 cents, we are also planning to get it in if we flop the over pair, otherwise again just fold pre. Long story short. I'm ok with either line. Fold to the min 4 bet and get a read is my slight preference vs true super unknown. If we are calling pre, I'm also ripping this flop. I'm not a fan of 5 betting pre or calling the 4 bet to fold flop with an SPR of less than 1.5.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Facing min-reraise like that I think you can find an exploitative fold with QQ in NL2. I have not seen any NL2 player taking this min-reraise line with AK and more often they just 4bet jam AK 100BB preflop.

But yes it is hard to fold QQ.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
QQ 3-betting or Calling?

Stacks are $2.30 effective
Hero is on the button with QsQc.
Action folds to UTG+1 who raises to 10c
Folds to hero, who 3-Bets to 30c
Folds to UTG+1, who 4-Bets to 60c
Hero calls

Pot is $1.17 both players have $1.70 behind
Flop comes 6h 7h 6c
UTG+1 raises to 60c
Hero shoves for $1.70
UTG+1 calls

UTG+1 had just joined the table so I had no useful information. He was obviously aggressive but I didn't have much else to go on.

It feels like this is -EV play on my part. I'm terrible with overpairs. The 4-bet was weird to me since he min bet.

Should I have called the 4-bet?
Should I have shoved preflop?
What should I have done post-flop?

Feedback is much appreciated.

Hi there Epithaeus, thank you for posting your hand. I agree with everybody who had posted before, except that I have something more to add, and I hope it helps you.
I don't play too much full ring games, but I see that many players are really tight from the EP, opening something between 5-8% of hands.
It becomes hard to 3bet for value situations like this. Besides we can be mixing our 3-betting and calling range: We can, just for example demonstration, call 3 combos of QQ and 3-bet 3 combos of QQ, depending on position and types of playes/ammount of reliable information we have at our disposal.
I say that for the sake of good preflop playability. The vast majority of the field is very unbalanced with QQ+ and they will have 80% of 3-bet with these hands and, if I am being very generous, 20% calling.
Many player 3-bet a lot with QQ+ and get a lot of preflop folds, which is not good. Summarizing, what I am trying to say, very poorly, is that we should have a balanced frequency for calling and 3-betting with the same hand.
Playing the same hand in different manners is also a good way to explore our opponents at the table.
We don't have information on stacks sizes, this is not irrelevant to the description of the hand.
UTG+1 polarizes a lot its range raising to 5x because it knows that it will not only be paid by worse hands, or even better, get a 3-bet. This is a spot that we can be calling safely, because the range that is raising first is way too strong and we don't want to turn our good value hand (QQ) into a bluff.
Now, you also made an unbalanced 3-bet preflop, because we usually are 3-betting versus 3x, 3.5x raise, so the 3-bet will be 3x, 3.1x, 3.2x, even 3.5x and we will see that 0.21 cents is a fair size for a 3-bet either for value or for bluff.
Somebody said that at 2 NLHE nobody is shoving AKs or AKo in a board like this but I strongly disagree: many players at 2 NLHE play AK as if it is AA or KK itself, preflop and postflop. :eek:
I would not be scared at all if the villain shows AK, AQ, AJ, Ax or even JJ, TT, 99, 88 since many players at 2 NLHE look to a lower flop, or lower board in any street and decide to jam, no matter what.
The UTG+1 player polarizes its bet flop quite a bit, because we usually are not betting nearly 1/2 into a 4-bet pot out of position, so either your Villain has really KK+ , or for some ludicrous reason 77 or, almost impossible pocket 6's in a situation like this, but this is very simple account:
12 combos that are beating us in this flop, 6 combos of AA and 6 combos of KK: the other combos are JJ and under, and we are beating all of them. Pay attention to the size Villain used preflop and postflop and put a note on it no matter what it showed.
All your decision-making preflop and postflop will rely on how much information you have over the player you are involved with. Personally, I don't love going fancy against players that I barely know (less than 100 hands played), unless I see that the player is the real donkey and its vomiting chips throughout the table.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you shove preflop wont bet -EV desision. I prefer call pre vs such big size. As played on flop I prefer calling down and letting him bluff with AK.

E

Epithaeus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Appreciate the feedback. What I'm gathering is that it wasnt a terrible play but since I didn't have a good read on the opponent cold calling the open probably would've been better. Since I did 3 bet, folding to the 4 bet also probably would be better. Moral is, avoid weird spots with unknown opponents.

F

fast_frog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The simplest way to think about it is you don't have the odds to pure set mine preflop, that means you need to gii on underboards to make the preflop call more profitable than folding.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first thing to notice here is, that a 5BB open is very unusual in todays online games. It typically mean either a very good hand or a wild and often loose player. With that in mind this could actually be a spot, where I would not always 3-bet QQ. If we see him use this size repeatedly, and maybe even see a hand go to showdown, we can assume, he is a wild player, and get after him. But the first time, we see it, my default would be to respect it quite a bit.

We do 3-bet, and he mini 4-bet. This is just gross, because it further points towards him having one of those two hands, we dont want to see. I cant blame you for calling, and also not for getting it in on a low board. If he did in fact have aces or kings, not 3-betting might have allowed you to lose less.