$2 NLHE Full Ring: $2NLHE 9-max: Preflop fold KQo to re-raise?

T

Tony0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/324OJk8Tm

Hello I am a beginner wondering about this hand I folded preflop.

I figured to shove reraise UTG villain must have big pair or AK. The hand stuck in my mind because I felt unsure about what sort of hand I need to be able to call here.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would prefer to just call KQo rather than going for the squeeze play in this particular spot. You are facing an UTG open, which should be a strong range, and to make matters worse UTG only started the hand with 25BB, and someone else is short as well. This mean, that if they are going to continue, they are more likely to jam and just call, and this is something, you need to consider before 3-betting.

As played its a simple math decision, since UTG does jam, everyone else folds, and now you are closing the action. If you call, pot is going to be 1,13$, and you need to put in 33c more. This mean, you need 29,2% equity, and because of the rake you want to have a little more than this. Lets say 32% equity.

Now you simply pull out a program like Equilab, which is completely free to download, plug in your hand and try to assign him some different ranges, which you think, he might open UTG and then go with facing this action. We start with worst case, which is obviously "AK or a big pair" lets say TT+. Against that you have 28,3% so not enough, but its pretty close.

I do think, this is to conservative though. You are playing 2NL, and people starting with 25BB tend to not be the best players in the game. So I dont think, we can narrow his range down that much. Against 77+ and AQ+ you have 32,5% equity, which is already enough. Against 55+, AJ+, KQ you have 36,8%. So I do think, this fold is to tight. But more importantly I would not put myself in this spot by 3-betting in the first place.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely agree with fund here. Flatting the UTG open is a better play.

F

fifille07

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree too. KQ isn't strong enough of a hand here to squeeze in my opinion.

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad bet for starters and then bad fold in my opinion. Since you have a good stack and already raised to 18¢, another 30¢ for the call is for sure worth a try. You chose the safe route and that is ok too, just bad raise. Good luck

T

Tony0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks all for the replies. I am a beginner and I often fail to consider all the different parts to the action before pressing buttons, as the mental load is too high.

Given me a lot of things to make sure I think through every hand thanks.

Folding in Poker