$2 NLHE Full Ring: $2 NLHE Full Ring: AJ hits 2-pair on flop. Was this hand played correctly?

K

knightpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE Full Ring: $2 NLHE Full Ring: AJ hits 2-pair on flop. Was this hand played correctly?

888Poker, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 7 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4a1U4oOa

UTG: $2.00 (100 bb)
MP (Hero): $2.76 (138 bb)
MP+1: $1.15 (58 bb)
CO: $0.20 (10 bb)
BU: $2.33 (117 bb)
SB: $3.37 (169 bb)
BB: $0.79 (40 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with J♠ A♦
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.05, MP+1 calls $0.05, 3 players fold, BB calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.16) A♠ J♦ 9♥ (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, MP+1 bets $0.06, BB calls $0.06, Hero raises to $0.18, MP+1 calls $0.12, BB calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.70) Q♥ (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.46, MP+1 calls $0.46, BB calls $0.46

River: ($2.08) 2♠ (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.04, MP+1 calls $0.46 (all-in), BB calls $0.10 (all-in)

Total pot: $3.10 (Rake: $0.19)

Showdown:
MP (Hero) shows J♠ A♦ (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 31%, Flop: 13%, Turn: 7%, River: 0%)

BB shows A♥ T♥ (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 25%, Flop: 9%, Turn: 33%, River: 0%)

MP+1 shows 9♦ 9♣ (three of a kind, Nines)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 44%, Flop: 77%, Turn: 60%, River: 100%)

MP+1 wins $2.91

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your line should be bet bet bet instead of check raise on the flop.
Its because he is checking too many pocket pairs Jx and weak Ax.
At the same time you get all the value from gutshots straight draws backdoors etc. basically whatever players feel like is worth chasing at these stakes.
I would bet 3/4 pot otf, 2/3 ott qnd bet fold otr with sizing of 1/3 - 55% of pot and fold to a raise unless they are absolutely mental.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop should be a 3x raise and not a 2.5x raise. It is only penny and made no difference in the outcome of this hand but in other hands it will make a difference as it will allow your flop and turn bets to be for larger amounts and help you maximize value.

On the flop I think you should c bet here since even though we have two opponents we would be c betting our misses there at times as well. Plus we have a strong hand and since there are two opponents we have a better chance of getting action and therefore increasing the size of the pot which is what we want in this case. It did work out for you here (not end result of the hand but I am sure at this point in the hand you were checking with the intention of check raising) but you cant always assume villains will bet into multiple opponents and if the flop gets checked through as it will most of the time then you are losing value.

As played on the turn we are never folding our hand here no matter what comes on the river in my opinion since the effective stacks are so small. I would still bet large as you did since if they have a draw and miss the river we will not get anything from them so we have to go for value as we did. Im not against over betting the pot here and getting the 92 cents in the middle even though the pot is 70 cents. Both villains have put in large amount of their stacks already based on % of their stack so they might be in a no fold zone and we could just get the max here. Either way I like the larger sizing as this might be the last street we get anything.

River is a blank so your move to get in both villains was correct. Bad luck that is was a flop that was top two against bottom set but I think outside the flop and pre flop raise sizing you played the hand fine but just a cooler.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably c-bet close to 100% of your range here. You smash the flop as the early position raiser with all the top sets, two pairs, TPTK and nut straight draws and they have a lot of marginal combo's you get called by. By extension, they're supposed to check behind a lot of the time. They probably only bet two pair or better, in which case you're in a pretty bad spot (I don't expect A9 to cold call that often).

The Q on the turn is horrible. You now also lose to all KT and T8s and maybe AQo that the bigblind calls with. You still have a strong hand, just not strong versus both villains calling ranges. At this point just try to get to showdown cheaply. I would check/call the turn and check/fold the river. That might be exploitable, but people in the micro's rarely bluff. If they go for three streets of value, expected a very nutted range.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Why don't openraise to 3bb on the flop?
I thought your flop beautiful.
I counted the villins stakes and the allin would happen on the turn, so in this case I think ok to keep the agressivity.
But dependind on the involved sizestakes I think when the villains call a check raise flop and a barrel on the turn, you have to think in your hand as a hand to call behind on the river though apparently you are losing only to KT and 9's, maybe and rarely AQ.

KT - 16 combos
99 - 03 combos
AQ - 06 combos
AJ - 04 combos
A2 - 06 combos
QJ - 06 combos
Q9 - 09 combos

Ok, ok it seems you would win most times.

K

knightpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guy's for your reply!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
At 2NL you can open to 3BB, but the 2,5BB open size is not terrible in any way.

Flop
Obviously a great flop for you, and I dont hate your check-raise idea. Its nice to mix that play in from time to time both for value and as a bluff. I would only do it though, if MP+1 was an aggressive player, who would bet a lot when checked to. Also when you got the chance to check-raise, you should go significantly larger. You dont need to give them 4:1 go get action from worse hands. So make it at least 30c, which would also set it up for an easy turn jam turning it into a 2 street hand.

Turn
Not the best card, since some gutshots now completed, and if they played AQ passively, that hand also beat you now. As played stacks are very awkward with BB having less than a pot sized bet left, while MP+1 had a little more than a pot sized bet left. I guess, I either jam or bet very small, but most of all you should avoid these kind of situations by thinking ahead, when you size your bet or raise on an earlier street.

River
As played you only have a 25% pot bet left against MP+1 and even less against BB, so yeah stick it in and hope, you are good.

Results
So MP+1 flopped bottom set, and this is at its core just a massive cooler. Everyone goes broke here, so the only thing to take away from the hand is betsizing, and if the flop should be C-bet or check-raised.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands