$2 NLHE Full Ring: 2$ NLHE Should I call the river?

J

Jefsticle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $1.75 (88 bb)
UTG+1: $2.50 (125 bb)
MP: $2.83 (142 bb)
MP+1 (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $2.11 (106 bb)
BU: $1.91 (96 bb)
SB: $2.00 (100 bb)
BB: $0.74 (37 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP+1 with 8 8
2 players fold, MP raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, 4 players fold

Flop: ($0.15) J 3 6 (2 players)
MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.15) 3 (2 players)
MP bets $0.07, Hero calls $0.07

River: ($0.29) 3 (2 players)
MP bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

I don't have many hands but Villan has pfr of 16% and seemed fairly competent at least compared to me.
Should I be calling the turn/river? Does anyone raise my cards at any point? What about my opponents flop check?
Should I be looking to do that if faced with his situation?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion you played this hand well. If we assume that the MP aperture is 16% this is something close to: 55+, A7s+, K9s+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QJo. From those hands, for your semi bluff 3-bet to be successful, villain needs to fold at least 33% of the time. Taking into account the card elimination effect, if villain opens 186 combos, at least 62 combos from rank V must have fold equity after your 3-bet. I honestly doubt that in micro stakes a standard player would fold low-medium pockets like 55 and 77. At least it wouldn't be obvious.
If we think this villain can fold of AJo ; ATo; KJo; KTo and QJo, we still need 11 more combos (probably suits) for his FE rank.
We should think that this villain is very disciplined and is able to fold hands like A7s and QTs in preflop. Also, there are still too many players left to talk, so the preflop call is standard.
As played the river call is good, as Villain showed no action on the flop. Although most likely to happen in micro stakes, is that MP hoped to reduce the odds of flush draws on the board for free, and now the most expected is a J in his range. Anyway, once the river hit, the call becomes standard.
Greetings.

Last edited:
S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played, I think your river call is fine. If he checked the flop because the Jack scared him, you may be against TT and 99 some of the time.

It's a smallish pot, and you're getting almost 3:1 on your call.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I am fine with calling here.

Flop
When he check to you on this board, I prefer to put out a small bet for value and protection. Sure me might from time to time be checking some strong hands, that beat you, but a lot of his range should be hands, that missed the flop. And a lot of those hands have 2 overcards to your pair, so there is a lot of value in simply betting to deny equity and end the hand. Also if he call, he will usually check to you on the turn, so you can still get to the river for the price of just one bet. It is a close situation though, and there can certainly be arguments for checking back as well.

Turn
As played you have a very easy call. You weakened your range by checking back, and now you are clearly in bluff catching mode.

River
On this particular runout I would also have called down. Nothing got there other than maybe A3 of spades exactly. So you only lose to hands, that beat you already on the flop, and most of those hands would usually have C-bet.

Results
So he had value this time, and its always a little annoying to pay people off, but I think, you played just fine.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The long answer to your question is - yes. standard.