$2 NLHE Full Ring: $2 NLHE : Should I be folding the river check raise?

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey All,

Should I be folding the river check raise here? I think I got blinded by AA here and called down.

Additionally should I have been raising more in each street?

pokerstars - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 7 players

SB: $2.27 (113.5 bb)
Hero (BB): $4.80 (240 bb)
UTG: $4.40 (220 bb)
UTG+1: $1.48 (74 bb)
MP: $1.53 (76.5 bb)
CO: $1.74 (87 bb)
BTN: $1.05 (52.5 bb)

SB posts $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has :as4: :ah4:
4 folds, BTN calls $0.02, SB raises to $0.10, Hero calls $0.08, fold

Flop: ($0.22, 2 players) :2s4: :jc4: :5d4:
SB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.46, 2 players) :9c4:
SB checks, Hero bets $0.14, SB calls $0.14

River: ($0.74, 2 players) :7s4:
SB checks, Hero bets $0.22, SB raises to $1.37, Hero calls $1.15

Results: $3.48 pot ($0.12 rake)
Final Board: :2s4: :jc4: :5d4: :9c4: :7s4:

SB shows :8h4: :6c4:: (Straight, Nine High)
(Pre 17%, Flop 6%, Turn 9%)

Hero mucks :as4: :ah4:: (One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 83%, Flop 94%, Turn 91%)

SB wins $3.36

Last edited:
loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Raise that pre, man. Get a 3-bet range going. I understand it seems like you'd like a BU call, but it's better for your hand to be up against one strong range rather than 2 mediocre ones.

Plus you can really attack this SB iso with bluffs, so you want this in your value raise range!

This is the #1 issue with this hand. Raise SB to something like $0.25 or $0.30 (typically 3x while in position, you can go a bit smaller since his bet is large already).

Since you DID, call, I would raise this flop sometimes. It's the only way to get proper value for your hand. You will get calls from Jacks, QQ, and KK which he could still have.

I understand the desire to flat, since this board is dry. It will allow V to continue bluffing. But not my first choice

But V gives up turn. I would bet 3/4 pot here when checked to. He can call with weak pairs, and the rare draw. Your bluffs should be about this size, too. Though there shouldn't be too many of those since you flatted the flop.

River, I'd bet about 1/2 pot after he checks twice. Maybe slightly less to allow weak Jx to call. Eff stacks were 2.27 to start.. if we bet 3/4 turn we'd have 1.73 behind and we can bet around .40. We'd still be able to fold to a shove.

In my scenario, I'd look at V's stats- it's so hard to but V on a bluff, and at $2, these hyper aggressive plays are usually 2 pair plus.

As played on the river... what range would you put him on? I wouldn't even think of 68... but 77, 97, J7, T8 sometimes, 57... 99 if he's tricky-trappy!

There's a ton of hands (again depending on reads) which makes it hard to play against, and the reason is because you played so passively. Reraise pre with your good hands. You don't want these hands going multiway.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have 3-bet preflop in order to reduce the chance that the BTN flats and then we end up out of position against someone in a multi-way pot.

I would have bet closer to $0.30 on the turn in order to charge draws and also not completely scare off Villain.

On the river, alarm bells should be going off because I would have put them on some type of set or J9s. I would have folded. The fact that they had 86 is a bummer.

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So in short, I should of 3bet pre and if he fold, he fold. Continued to bet strong through the turn and river and if I had got check raised on the river then, I know to fold as he more than likely has me beat at this point!

Last edited:
Folding in Poker