$2 NLHE 6-max: What would you do in this spot?

J

Jamalex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yatahay Network - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 100 BB
UTG: 114.5 BB
MP: 40 BB
CO: 201.5 BB
Hero (BTN): 102 BB
SB: 102 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:diamond: J:heart:

UTG raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 7.5 BB, fold, fold, UTG calls 5 BB

Flop: (16.5 BB, 2 players) 7:spade: 5:spade: 2:spade:
UTG checks, Hero bets 12 BB, UTG raises to 107 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 82.5 BB and is all-in

RESULTS ARE BELOW

Turn: (205.5 BB, 2 players) 7:club:

River: (205.5 BB, 2 players) 9:club:

[spoil]UTG shows T:diamond: T:club: (Two Pair, Tens and Sevens)
(Pre 18%, Flop 10%, Turn 5%)
Hero shows J:diamond: J:heart: (Two Pair, Jacks and Sevens)
(Pre 82%, Flop 90%, Turn 95%)
Hero wins 195.5 BB
[/spoil]

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PreflopI would make the 3-bet a little larger. 3X is a great size in tournaments but not against a small open raise in a 2NL cash game. Going bigger gives him a worse price to call and try to draw out on you, and it cuts down on his implied odds.

Flop
With no spade I prefer to check back and control the size of the pot. Basically I am hoping for a low offsuit card, because this will increase the equity of my hand against his range. On the turn I can then either call and catch some bluffs or protection bets from hands like 88-TT. Or I bet for value, if he check again. If the turn card is the ace of spades, and he bombs the pot, I just fold and let him have this one. As played I would fold to his check-jam. You are essentially drawing dead, if he has a flush, and even if he has a hand like AQ with A of spades, you are behind on equity.

Results
Another example of how bad players are at 2NL. He was probably trying to "protect" his hand, but he actually turned it into a value bluff. If he can have this kind of hand, stacking off obviously becomes a bit better, but this is not something, you want to carry with you to higher limits than 2NL.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. I think that hero play even good this pocket JJ. I agree with fundiver that 3bet pre flop could be a little bigger, because you are even deep. The flop is friendly for pocket JJ. I think that it is good situation to call his allin on the flop. I see here only one hand in opponent's range that can be better than your pocket JJ, I see here only pocket QQ that could call your 3bet pre flop and play like here I think that KK + should play 4bet pre flop. So I think that on the flop we can have a little hard decision, but I think that it is worth to risk and we can play call his allin on the flop. GL :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see here only one hand in opponent's range that can be better than your pocket JJ, I see here only pocket QQ that could call your 3bet pre flop and play like here I think that KK + should play 4bet pre flop.

The board is monotone, so any hand with two spades in it flopped a flush.