$2 NLHE 6-max: What should I do on this flop?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your flop bet was looking for information, you chose the right moment to extract a value. Your bet probably represents a value below J but higher than 8. I suppose any combination of overcards will pay you here at NL2. So the battle against marginal hands was a success in this sequence.
Greetings.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
https://www.boomplayer.com/32620814_F618687BD5
I was sure they didn't hit the board cuz of their checks. So should I bet here or just check back?

Hi there U_BKB, welcome to the CardsChat community and thank you for posting your hand

Preflop

It is okay calling down 98s IP when there are recreational players in the blinds, but we can go for a 3-bet light 30-40% of times depending on Villain against MP only, versus UTG we believe it is a little bit spaz.
Even versus MP we should not be 3-betting in a high frequency and calling 33%, folding 33% and 3-betting 33% of times seems fine.

Flop:

You cannot be sure that Villain is bluffing simply because it checked out of position! Remember that your flush draw still could be dominated by better flush draws, that Villain MP has all the AJ, KJ, QJ, JJ, 88+ and we will have none, so when we c-bet here with all of our flush draws we are getting a little spaz.
Besides your hand is pretty much protected, since on the turn, any spade, in theory, is good for you, Tx, Qx, 8x, 9x, 7x are good cards for bluffing.
Our really concern here is the MP player, because BB is a broken stack type, seems calling-station.
Remember that MP almost always will have better hands than you on a spot like this, even checking 3-handed pot. Your bet is okay, you have a lot of equity but also, against MP, a lot of reverse implied odds.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like a check on the flop, whenever you have a draw that hits a marginal pair you want to play it somewhat cautiously especially multi way because it has showdown value and you may want to get to a river, getting check- raised on that flop would suck multi-way without closing the action, say you bet your 5bb on the flop like you did here and bb calls, HJ raises and now you are in a strange position where you don’t know if your hand is strong enough to call and don’t know if bb is calling or folding.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would lean towards betting here. It is a very wet board and a lot of turn cards will kill action or make you not know where you are. If we want to play SC IP, we need to make money in case we hit a hand to make up for the times that flop comes unfavorably.

I would also bet a little bigger. Say 65% -75% pot.

Thoughts?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like betting the flop. Your flopped a pair, but it was a rather low pair, so it was very vulnerable especially multiway. The time to check back would be on a board like AsKc4s, you have KsJs, because you are much less likely to get outdrawn. I am totally happy just taking it down here.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WP.

I would check on flop 8c9c but 8s9s I would bet.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this situation, bet is somewhat better than just a check. You don't have nuts flush draw and after making a check you will not learn anything about the strength of the opponent's hand. If the opponent called and you didn't collect your flush, you would have to give up on the turn

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the bet here on the flop looking to take it down here and now.
Your hand has some small showdown value but is vulnerable say you check back and a non spade ace rolls off and your bet into think your feeling a lot less happy.
you could of course be already behind here but a hand like 9s or 10s wouldn't go crazy here and surely AA KK and QQ would bet the flop themselves and JJs would also surely bet with the draws available. Higher flushes are of course possible but all in all like the play