$2 NLHE 6-max: what is the best option on the river?

I

Isshiki

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG FOLDS, MP limps. Im on the CO with AJ off. I raised 3x to 0.06. Button , SB and BB folds. MP calls.
Flop: Ac5h3h
MPcheck, i bet 1/2 pot, MP calls.
Turn: 9h
MP checks again and i bet 1/2 again.
River: As
MP bets pot bet. What is the best option on the river ? Call? re-raise all in or fold? MP is a loose player. Sorry for my english guys . Im newbie

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think raising is ever an option here. Calling might depend on if you have any hearts in your hand or not.
I would recommend raising slightly larger preflop over a limp.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree that the preflop raise should be at least 4x (3x for the raise + 1x for the limper). But a loose player might never fold to a raise anyway.

Generally when a loose and passive player bets on the river, I assume they have a hand. But whether it's a hand that has you beat with AJ is an open question. He could have a weaker A (that hopefully isn't A5, A3, or A9). I'm less concerned with the flush because he didn't get aggressive until the river.

As a loose player he's got a wide range. Here I would decide what to do based on what other hands I've seen him show down. Do you have any sense of what types of hands he plays?

With trip aces, I would probably call his bet. Not sure how smart that is, but that's what I'd do! ;)

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, if I good see on the board is three card in the same colour, so in this situation possible is a flush. I agree with guys that you should raise pre flop more, at least 4x. Very helpful will be some reads about our opponent, what hand he showed before that hand, especially some suited connector hands. Without some informations about his earlier hands I think better only call his bet on the river, because of flush. I probably afraid a little flush in this situation, so I only call the river. It possible that opponent has some read on you and possible he can know that you has three of a kind.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need some info. Maybe he have better Ax. Is he have PFR? How mush? Donk OTF, how much, with what? Donk bet OTT, how much, with what? Donk bet OTR, how much, with what? How much he folds OTF vs C-bet? How much OOP? Check-raise, how much, with what? OTF, OTT and OTR...Any piece of info will helps...

Do you have blocker in you hand? For the flush...Without any info and blocker this will be fold. Can be call with info, the blocker is also good here. You can expect often flush, full house. bluff and "naked" trips will be rare. But for call you need only 33%. 35% , because the rake.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
UTG FOLDS, MP limps. Im on the CO with AJ off. I raised 3x to 0.06. Button , SB and BB folds. MP calls.
Flop: Ac5h3h
MPcheck, i bet 1/2 pot, MP calls.
Turn: 9h
MP checks again and i bet 1/2 again.
River: As
MP bets pot bet. What is the best option on the river ? Call? re-raise all in or fold? MP is a loose player. Sorry for my english guys . Im newbie

The best option on the river will rely on who you are playing against. As a default, I would be calling on the river much more often than raising, on this board texture.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just call. Assuming that he migh have a flush it would be unwise to pay him a lot. Because taking into account his implied odds (which consist of how much you pay him on the river) his calls would be correct.

I would play this in different way. Flop bet was obviously correct (I would bet even more seeing flush draw). But when third heart comes I would just use my positional advantage and check the turn in order not too build a big pot.

If you bet you give him correct implied odds on the flop. He had 9 outs which gave him about 18% of chances to catch up on turn but with your bet he needed at least 25% to break even (2 bets in the pot, 1 your bet and 1 his call =1/4). His call would be obviously bad. But if you are willing to put another bet (equal to 2 flop bets) into the pot when third heart comes, his implied odds increase. Now on flop he is calling 1 bet hoping to win not 4 but a total of 6 bets. His break even percentage is 1/6=17%. He had proper implied odds to chase assuming that you would bet the turn.

Therefore you either need to bet more on flop or just check on turn. Of course you would be giving him a free card but if he already has a flush it doesn't matter and if he has other type of hand it doesn't matter that much either because either you are already behind or he has very slim outs (for 2 pairs or a set).

I preffer to check turn rather than betting more on flop because you only have one pair and you shouldn't create a big pot with it. Therefore:

Bet on flop. Check on turn. Call a medium sized bet on the river. It would be much more difficult without position because as you check on turn you could induce a bluff based on the scare card and you would face a tough decision.

Last edited: