$2 NLHE 6-max: Can we raise on the river for value with Top two pairs?

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey. Just want to mention that I'm not a cash player so I don't have a in depth strategy on postflop.
NL 2, Zoom(0 hands on SB).
Everything seems fine till the turn and here comes the first question:
1. Should I raise his lead on the turn? He's representing street(8Ts, KT should fold but it's still possible) and slowplayed set that he didn't wanted to check-raise. If I did and get jammed over, should I fold AQ here?
2. Can I jam over his bet on the river for value or it's just a call?

poker stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $4.05 (202.5 bb)
BB: $2.02 (101 bb)
UTG: $2 (100 bb)
MP: $1.91 (95.5 bb)
CO: $1.28 (64 bb)
Hero (BTN): $2.26 (113 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A
club4.gif
Q
heart4.gif

3 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, SB calls $0.05, BB folds

Flop: ($0.14) 9
diamond4.gif
A
heart4.gif
J
heart4.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.08, SB calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.30) Q
spade4.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14

River: ($0.58) 5
club4.gif
(2 players)
SB bets $0.56, Hero calls $0.56

Results: $1.70 pot ($0.06 rake)
Final Board: 9
diamond4.gif
A
heart4.gif
J
heart4.gif
Q
spade4.gif
club4.gif

SB showed A
spade4.gif
spade4.gif
and lost (-$0.84 net)
Hero showed A
club4.gif
Q
heart4.gif
and won $1.64 ($0.80 net)

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. I would raise on the turn to 0.42-0.5 and call when villain shoves.
2. As played I would prefer a call as Qh blocks villain value/bluff combos. would put this range to villain {KhTh,QJs,99,Q9s,T8s)

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A raise on the turn would've been in order since there are so many draws out there. I wouldn't be worried about a high pocket pair since he would propably have raised you pre-flop. Ofcourse from that point only K-10 and 10-8 could beat you but you'd beat everything else. So I'd raise the turn for value and to protect myself. If he did have K-10 or 10-8 I think a lot of players would then just call your raise. On the river I think jamming would be bad since he would most likely only call you if he has you beat.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A raise on the turn would've been in order since there are so many draws out there. I wouldn't be worried about a high pocket pair since he would propably have raised you pre-flop. Ofcourse from that point only K-10 and 10-8 could beat you but you'd beat everything else. So I'd raise the turn for value and to protect myself. If he did have K-10 or 10-8 I think a lot of players would then just call your raise. On the river I think jamming would be bad since he would most likely only call you if he has you beat.
I think most players would've shoved over a raise on the turn with completed straight in this spot. If he calls our turn raise we should check back on the river to showdown?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes you should raise his turn lead, and yes you should call if he jams over. It's a cash game, players will have worse here... if you're mainly playing MTT's your biggest adjustment is going to need to be that players will be getting involved in much bigger pots with a lot less holdings post flop.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how they usually play but a re raise on the turn would have been the better play and a value bet for him to call on the river!

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a cooler. i would have bet more pre flop 4bb is the minimum and raised the turn and the river

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you should raise for value with two pair.
With Q on the turn there is a straight KT that got there. However he could lead with worse two pairs such as JQ, Q9 - you are ahead of these and should be willing to call off.
Also in future don't post results in initial post as it can bias responses

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played. The turn card turned your hand into a bluff-catcher. If you raise, he folded worst hands. You can raise only vs telephones.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the bet sizing is too low, with 2 pairs and lot of draws u need to raise the turn and the river of course u have to pop it hard in my opinion

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
turn was a small bet. you should raise with board advantage. if he 3 bets turn, you can considr fold according to the villian type. i would not jam river, unless i want to polarize my hand.