$2 NLHE 6-max: Can we fold AK to this all in pre-flop?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are getting pretty good pot odds 2.5 to 1 so we need to win about 28% of the time here?

CO's stats were 33/17/0 (6 hands)

BTN's stats: 50/50/0 (2 hands)

what range can we give villains shoving range? AA,KK,AK, for a 5-bet shove? or can we give him a range like JJ+,AK?

against a range of JJ+,AK we have 39% equity , we have already invested a bunch into the pot Idk if we can realistically fold unless we think he is only ever doing this with AA,KK . Can we ever come to this conclusion when a random 2nl, 5-bet shove in this spot?

I thought BTN's raise might have been a bit wider than a normal 3-betting range and I thought I could take the pot pre or get heads up against the initial raiser. As a side note even if BTN's range is strong can we 4-bet for value?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.70 (135 bb)
MP: $2.00 (100 bb)
CO: $1.66 (83 bb)
BU: $2.21 (111 bb)
SB: $3.00 (150 bb)
BB (Hero): $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with A K
1 fold, MP raises to $0.05, CO calls $0.05, BTN 3-bets to $0.18, 1 fold, Hero 4-bets to $0.65, 1 fold, CO 5-bets to $1.66 (all-in), 1 fold, Hero calls $1.01

Flop: ($3.56) 5 8 3 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: ($3.56) T (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($3.56) J (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $3.56 (Rake: $0.15)

Showdown:
CO shows A A (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 94%, Flop: 99%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

BB (Hero) shows A K (high card, Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 6%, Flop: 1%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

CO wins $3.18
BB (Hero) wins $0.23

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp/shoving or call/shoving pre always smells like aces to me. Calling the 5-bet shove with all the AK combos is never bad though so essentially it's just free information. Just make a note on this player and if you see it again consider calling a bit tighter (maybe only AKs and KK+?).

As a rule of thumb I basically always stack pre with AK against one opponent and fold if two or more players are already all-in before it's my turn to act. So if the button would've called it's an easy fold.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Big Gameee¹

with a high amount of BB fold all in and cal 3x:deal::joyman:

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know. Sometimes is hard to let a hand go, but what range would you put villain when call/shove after 2 raises? Unless you are sure you have a really good read on him as in tilt or maniac.
After loosing a bunch in this kind of situation Im being able to fold more consistently.

PS: easier said than done!

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cant fold here, when you made the 4-bet so large, and CO did not even start with a full stack. Also in my experience this back-raise is a hand like 66-88 maybe 20 times more often, than it is AA. And if you give him a range of 1 combos of AA and 20 combos of 66-88, you have more than enough equity to call it off.

So this was just the rare outlier, where he took a silly line with AA and got you. But he would have gotten you anyway, because its not like, the action would have played out differently, had he been the one 3-betting rather than BTN. Its AA vs. AK for 83 BB effective in a late position confrontation, and its completely standard, that all the money go in preflop. Its not like, he gets away from AK either, when you have the AA, so this is just a totally standard cooler and a wash in the long run.

Folding in Poker