$2 NLHE 6-max: UTG with 9/10s

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its borderline, and if you are going to use a wide range, a smaller open size is better. You can go 2,5BB with a range, where this hand sit right at the bottom.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very dependent on players at the table and the dynamic at the time. It is a loose open from UTG, but can be OK under the right circumstances.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You only won the hand because no one called. What if the button had AK and called what were you going to do on the flop? How is your game post flop? We generally want our tightest range to be UTG and we get looser as we gain position. Your hand is very loose for UTG.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
nice question

Hello there Stil370 how you doing? Thank you for posting this question!
It is okay to open strong suited connectors from the UTG in the 6-Max Cash Tables, either regular tables or zoom tables.
However, it is better to do so when you have clear information of the player in position in relation to the UTG or MP.
It is good to play, open raise, these suited combos when we see a recreational player in the blinds (SB or BB) that we might want to play with it.
There are many scenarios where we don't want to open T9s from the EP. For example when there are too many passive players who love to call preflop in the CO or BTN.
There are potential squeezor's ahead, so you gotta make a hard choice when the aggressive player is in position in relation to you, if you elect to call or fold. If the aggressive player keeps his aggression postflop, maybe it is a good ideia to call a little bit more with suited connectors to try to trap the player in position.
However, when a decent player 3bets us in position, or even out of position we need to reevaluate the possibility of opening medium suited connectors, that either could be dominated by a TAG's/NIT's 3betting or calling range, or that could put us in a situation postflop where we are going to be outplayed for a best player.
We see that in the given scenario we stole the blinds from the EP. But we must remember that we are not stealing from the EP. We open from EP to be called by a recreational out of position that could be overplayed by us.
The best positions for stealing are the Cut-Off and the Button, because we have less players to speak ahead, thus, more equity to play a wider range most of times.
There are scenarios where it will be okay to opan a 76s from the UTG. But, if you are a beginner like me, I strongly recommend you to play the ABC game from Early Position: (EP = UTG and MP). Play tight. Avoid to open hands like ATo, AJo for example, who seems very strong but there many scenarios where we would not love to play it. We are opening from the UTG 15% hands at maximum. Once in while, we are going to wider this range a bit, but not so much.
I don't see any point in opening a 54s, a 43s from the UTG or MP.

Joke alert:

I met a guy who became rich playing 54s from early position, and other similar combos. Before he started playing these weak combos from the UTG he was a millionaire.

Any doubt or question it is my pleasure to answer

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited: