€2 NLHE 6-max: Two Pairs on BB, super draw heavy board

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have only 11 hands from the opponent, so VPIP and PFR are not that accurate (22).

The opponent made a small open-raise from CO, I defended BB with QJo. On the Flop got top pair good kicker. Opp cBets IP and I just call, on the Turn I got two pairs. I lead and the opponent reraises, I shove because the board is super wet and the opponent has a small stack left. I lost to set.

Did I make mistakes in this hand?

iPoker - €0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): 150.5 BB
UTG: 121 BB
CO: 100 BB
BTN: 36.5 BB
SB: 102 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J Q

fold, CO raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (5.5 BB, 2 players) 6 3 J
Hero checks, CO bets 2.5 BB, Hero calls 2.5 BB

Turn: (10.5 BB, 2 players) Q
Hero bets 9 BB, CO raises to 27 BB, Hero raises to 145.5 BB, CO calls 68 BB

River: (200.5 BB, 2 players) 9

CO shows 6 6 (Three of a Kind, Sixes)
(Pre 52%, Flop 98%, Turn 91%)
Hero mucks J Q (Two Pair, Queens and Jacks)
(Pre 48%, Flop 2%, Turn 9%)
CO wins 187.5 BB

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it GOOD, If we analyze the action on the turn, what do you think would RE-RAISE your lead? maybe AA or KK and SETS right. All of the draws like Flush draws and/with straight draws will likely just be calling. I think Shoving on the turn is the most profitable play there, you can also shove if you have Sets cause you're still ahead against most of his holdings.

I think another way of playing this is just calling his re-raise on the TURN and if no flush draws or straight draws are completed you can lead a tiny bet like 2bb to induce bluff RAISE from his hands that missed.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it GOOD, If we analyze the action on the turn, what do you think would RE-RAISE your lead? maybe AA or KK and SETS right. All of the draws like Flush draws and/with straight draws will likely just be calling.

Yeah, I have actually the same thought in that situation. I just had to make decision because clock was running. Considering SPR and my commitment, I decided I have only one choice to do and it is the shove.

I think another way of playing this is just calling his re-raise on the TURN and if no flush draws or straight draws are completed you can lead a tiny bet like 2bb to induce Bluff RAISE from his hands that missed.

I considered just call that reraise, very unlikely that he will reraise with draw, but if any draw completes on the River, it will give me a very difficult situation so I wanted to keep it simple. I just called on the Flop, so he may think I won't have a very strong hand, donk bets are also usually a sign of weakness and maybe he will think I can't have a very strong hand, but his small stack size makes it a little bit harder to make decision.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, you overestimated your hand. The opponent was ahead all the time and played perfectly. You made a big bet on the turn and got a raise. This is a time for serious thought. Because he doesn't need a river to complete the draw. I usually think about the call or fold, but not the re-raise at such times. The opponent is ready to increase the pot now, because a dangerous card may come to the river.
Can it have AA or KK? Perhaps. But he makes too small a raise on the preflop.
I agree that it would have been hard on the river. But it could end up with a check-check or a small bet. Your re-raise was just a gift. It was an easy call on his part. Try and be careful next time.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, you overestimated your hand. The opponent was ahead all the time and played perfectly. You made a big bet on the turn and got a raise. This is a time for serious thought. Because he doesn't need a river to complete the draw. I usually think about the call or fold, but not the re-raise at such times. The opponent is ready to increase the pot now, because a dangerous card may come to the river.
Can it have AA or KK? Perhaps. But he makes too small a raise on the preflop.
I agree that it would have been hard on the river. But it could end up with a check-check or a small bet. Your re-raise was just a gift. It was an easy call on his part. Try and be careful next time.

Good thoughts. Yeah, my shove was a disaster, a beginner mistake, I just fell in love with my holding (also afraid of River). Maybe just call, call both the turn and river, but folding on the Turn I think will be too tight, I have two pairs and no draws completed. If I get another J or Q (full house) there will be huge implied odds, we need to consider that as well.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good thoughts. Yeah, my shove was a disaster, a beginner mistake, I just fell in love with my holding (also afraid of River). Maybe just call, call both the turn and river, but folding on the Turn I think will be too tight, I have two pairs and no draws completed. If I get another J or Q (full house) there will be huge implied odds, we need to consider that as well.
I agree with you that only very tight players can fold on the turn. But at this point, you should get the idea that you might be falling behind. We call here and have 4 outs in the worst case. Some players re-raise with AQ on such a turn, and their bet on the flop will look like a continuation bet. But a :9d4: on the river can also inspire fear in your opponent.
The pot could become much smaller for the showdown. So I assumed that it might have ended differently.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't think I am huge fan of the turn donk.
Q should be a more favourable card to CO and expects double barrel often.

Would prefer to check raise OTT facing a bet less than pot size and call if larger than that.

That may make you lose less in this hand.