$2 NLHE 6-max: TT facing 3 bet in position

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Original 3 bettor is short stacked so seems like a fish and the BB just calls showing weakness so I thought I was ahead and just get it in only losing $1 at most. I'm never raising with these weak pairs again. I have already lost enough money with these weak pairs 22-JJ. No odds to set mine calling a 3 bet over 7BB? Might as well just call 2 cents and then call another 8-12 cents to see a cheap flop?

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG (Hero): $2.02 (101 bb)
MP: $2.19 (110 bb)
CO: $2.20 (110 bb)
BU: $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $0.99 (50 bb)
BB: $2.02 (101 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with T T
Hero raises to $0.07, 3 players fold, SB 3-bets to $0.20, BB calls $0.18, Hero 4-bets to $2.02 (all-in), SB calls $0.79 (all-in), BB calls $1.82 (all-in)

Last edited:
T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Might as well just call 2 cents and then call another 8-12 cents to see a cheap flop?
Or is it better to open raise and fold to 3 bet over 7BB?
If it is better to open raise what should my sizing be because when I raise 4BB UTG I had someone say this is a very big raise in poker. When I raise 3BB on the BU I had someone say I could raise 1 or 2 cents more.

Last edited:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your thinking is not bad imo for this hands but it omits that since we know SB is calling us a lot then BB will be getting a good price to come along as well and if they have a hand we already crush like 88 then they are folding but they could be calling with overcards that have a decent shot at us and are probably making the right call given the price. Jamming there is definitely better than raising to some other amount but to me I think I just call there and see a flop. SB isnt always weak here and BB rarely has a bigger pair but could have a hand we are way ahead of that they are folding out to a jam. I could be wrong on this one so take it with a grain of salt but in this spot getting 3.5 to 1 on a call in position I like calling instead of dumping it in vs the SB which could have us crushed and a BB that will get some odds to call.

I dont see BB overcalling here with A2-A9 hands, A10 and 88 below probably fold to the jam so we are only really getting it in good against 99 which is slim and still have to factor in the SB. Jamming would be my second option behind calling but to me there is a large difference.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you went a little aggro here because of size of the short-stack. 4-bet jamming TT is kind of hard to justify. You showed strength with UTG raise, but short stack 3b from SB also shows a lot of strength.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like Hero's play. Zoom plays looser than 9-handed and aggression tends to pay. If one assumes the SB 3-bet reflects a 4% hand TT+, AK, ATs then TT is 40/60 dog heads up, If we assume BB is looser at 18%, Hero is 30% dog against both hands.

The good news is the better hand is short stacked and the BB is a 60/40 dog to TT. In short Hero wins the whole pot 30% of the time and loses the $2.37 to the SB 50% of the time, but wins $2.06 60% of that 50% and loses all of it 20% of the time (rough numbers). $5.03*30 + $2.06*30 = $1.51 + $0.62 = $2.13 for a $2.02 bet. That's as played. Some of the time SB & BB fold.

Not a big pot but plus EV.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very brave of you to go to All-in. A short stack is not equal to a fish!
In the Zoom, many are waiting for a hand. Fortunately, there is such an opportunity.
It is unlikely that your opponents do not understand the opening range from UTG.
It was cheaper to see the flop by calling.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My default here would be to defend TT by calling the 3-bet. You are getting a great price plus position, and you are also closing action, so folding is definitely way to nitty. 4-bet jamming on the other hand seems like a bit of an overplay. Yes SB only started with 50BB, but you also need to worry about BB, who could easily be flatting here with JJ-QQ, and if he is tricky even KK-AA. I feel, that when you 4-bet jam TT here, you are getting some fold equity, which is good, but when you get action, you are usually in pretty poor shape often being a 4:1 dog and at best flipping against a hand like AK.

If you call, its going to be a little awkward with 30BB in the middle and SB having only 40BB left behind. But you have position on both players, so I think, you can play that situation pretty well. Even if you flop an overpair on a board like 922 or 854, I can see letting the TT go, if SB bets like half his remaining stack, and BB calls, because then chances are, at least one of them have you beat. And of course if the flop comes like AJ4 or KQ7, and you face heavy action, its an almost trivial fold. Getting it in pre here seems like a tilted play and/or an indication, you are not comfortable playing 3-bet pots postflop, not even when you have position.