$2 NLHE 6-max: Trying to play LAG... am I just bad?

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HAND 1
Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 118 BB (VPIP: 22.22, PFR: 13.89, 3Bet Preflop: 3.45, hands: 74)
UTG: 130 BB (VPIP: 23.53, PFR: 11.76, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 37)
Hero (CO): 100 BB
BTN: 105 BB (VPIP: 58.33, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 13)
SB: 103 BB (VPIP: 36.36, PFR: 12.73, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 55)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 6:diamond: 5:diamond:

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (7.5 BB, 2 players) 6:club: 7:diamond: 9:spade:
Hero checks, BTN bets 7.5 BB, Hero raises to 24 BB, BTN calls 16.5 BB

Turn: (55.5 BB, 2 players) 7:spade:
Hero bets 27.5 BB,

Our hand is ahead of his range here, but this may not be the right player to try this against.

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 21.67, PFR: 13.33, 3Bet Preflop: 4.17, Hands: 62)
BTN: 119.5 BB (VPIP: 17.86, PFR: 10.71, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 31)
Hero (SB): 100 BB
BB: 104 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 7)

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:diamond: A:diamond:

CO raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero raises to 10 BB, fold, CO calls 7 BB

Flop: (21 BB, 2 players) 6:club: 2:diamond: 6:spade:
Hero bets 7.5 BB, CO calls 7.5 BB

Turn: (36 BB, 2 players) 6:diamond:
Hero bets 14.5 BB, CO calls 14.5 BB

River: (65 BB, 2 players) 7:heart:
Hero checks, CO bets 68 BB and is all-in, fold

CO wins 62 BB

1 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

Here, I think the problem was the turn card. Any other diamond we should barrel on...
right?

I was getting called a lot and playing many hands OOP... its hard when these guys call down so wide :(

Lemme know if I'm a fish.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how hand 1 finished but that flop hits a BU limp / call range harder than a BB steal range. When we x/r this flop we are repping pretty thin in a spot where BU has already indicated interest in the pot. I'd rather hit the flop harder to make this move or just lead at it. On the turn our sizing is small IMO. If we are continuing and repping thin we should be more polarized with our range and our sizing. Not sure what happened on the river but I suspect it didn't go well.

Hand 2 I like a slightly larger 3 bet out of position. I wouldn't down bet 1/3 on this pot after 3 betting pre. It sends mixed messages on this board. We never have a 6. So again we are repping really thin and should size up. If we only have overpairs why are we betting so small? When the third 6 comes in the flush draw may not even be good. The A in LAG is for aggressive and your bet sizing is not aggressive anywhere in either of these hands. You are raising instead of calling but size matters IMO. As played river x/f I agree with. We haven't sold the overpair story so just giving up is best.

People will not call as wide when you start betting more than 3x pre and more than 1/3 - 1/2 pot post. 3x pre is fine as a baseline in cash but also size up when there are limpers and size up when you are out of position. I would stay away from 1/3 pot sized bet sizings until you understand where and why to use them. Try more 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, full pot sizes. Then after you get comfortable with that you can work in overbets and 1/3 and 1/4 pot sizings IMO. Also in general anytime you are repping thin (only a few hands that you could have that would want to bet / raise in this spot) then you want to size up.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You overplaying you hands. You making bluff catcher into bluff

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand hits your opponents range harder than yours. It should have just been a c/c on the flop. Wrong range, and wrong opponent. Especially once they pot the flop.

Hand 2 is fine except I'd bet the turn larger if I'm betting.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 I think BTN range is more condensed and likely more nutted hands than you. Check raise is really repping thin and forces BTN to fold two overcards that you are ahead. I think you may get villain to fold 88 on the turn with that bet sizing but there are more nutted combos villain can continue.

Hand 2, I think you should consider jamming the river with some AK/AQ combos otherwise your hand is faced up against observant players. Against level 0 players you can just check-fold.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the first hand you only win 12% of the lower range, you are also out of position. If you play this line, protect your call range on the turn, but you are 80% down with better kickers. Avoid these places and choose better hands. The second hand you played very well in my opinion. but I prefer a stronger bet on the turn.
Regards.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1
Your hand is really bad, because you are drawing to the bottom end of a 1-liner. Given that he bet pot, I prefer to just check-fold and move on with my life. Against a smaller bet you can check-call flop to catch a bluff with your bottom pair.

Hand 2
Dont mind the small C-bet, but on this turn card you are never getting a pocket pair to fold, so the dubble barrel is futile in my opinion. Its time to either check-call or check-fold. Could be a check-call, since he also has a ton of hands, that missed. Check-fold river is fine. Have to give him credit for a boat now.