$2 NLHE 6-max: Trip aces BB vs SB in 3 Bet pot

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interested in how others might have played this hand :)

125 hands on villain, 24/17. 3 Bet of 5 (3 betting twice in 40 opportunities, so assumed tightish).

Pacific Poker - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 100 BB
SB: 186 BB
Hero (BB): 293 BB
UTG: 42.5 BB
MP: 99 BB
CO: 116 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:club: K:spade:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.5 BB, SB raises to 9 BB, Hero calls 8 BB, fold

Flop: (20.5 BB, 2 players) 6:spade: Q:diamond: A:spade:
SB bets 6.5 BB, Hero calls 6.5 BB

Turn: (33.5 BB, 2 players) A:heart:
SB bets 16.5 BB, Hero calls 16.5 BB

River: (66.5 BB, 2 players) 7:diamond:
SB bets 21.5 BB, Hero raises to 64.5 BB, SB calls 43 BB

Hero shows A:club: K:spade: (Three of a Kind, Aces)
(Pre 68%, Flop 85%, Turn 86%)
SB shows A:diamond: 5:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Aces)
(Pre 32%, Flop 15%, Turn 14%)
Hero wins 183.5 BB

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, i think a reraise on the BB would be ideal not only to isolate a player but to take the money they bet preflop and to me your other mistake was the reraise in the river. He bet the 3 streets and you have an ace, the only had you possibly beat in his range in this case is only A high but since you know where 3 of them are is highly probable that he made a set and has a full boat.

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have 4 bet if I picked up on villain being a loose 3 better with reliable stats, anything over 7. Not enough info with the hands I had on him though. I think a 4 bet is fine btw, just not currently in my own arsenal here as I am more comfortable post flop keeping his whole 3 betting range in.

In regards to his remaining range by the river, I actually narrow him to a lot of aces and QQ here once he has bet three streets. His bet sizing is at no point saying 'monster hand' to me though. Potentially he can be 3 betting from btn AK, AQ, AJ, even ATs. Of the weaker aces A2-A5 definitely on my radar from the button too.

So my initial instinct is I block aces. Then as the hand goes on and after three weakish barrels I favour he has the 4th ace, but not the one that scares me (AQ). I think he goes all the way with any ace here, and I beat his overall range of aces as I see it. I'm actually wondering if my river reraise wasn't aggressive enough, or if it was well priced to be called down with most aces, and he's going to shove QQ and AQ down my throat a lesser % of the time.

Just a bit more info on my thinking anyway.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop I think your raise size should be 3x or 3.5x in $2 NL. Its not really a big deal so if you are more comfortable using 5 cents as your standard rather than 6 or 7 cents by all means stick with but over time I think you will see more profit and value from going just a touch bigger especially if you are playing the range of hands you should be pre flop and not 40% of hands.

On the flop I am actually torn here between raising and just calling. I like raising since I know worse hands will call us including some Qx hands and definitely spade draws. I like calling since there arent many spade draws since we can account for the Ace and the King of spades, and not sure I want to make this a big pot. Plus if we raise and then get re raised then the pot is really going to be big. I wouldnt be folding to the re raise yet but would not be liking it so calling probably gives up some value but is probably the safer, lower variance move.

On the turn, I would definitely be raising just in case the villain does have Ax that we are beating. They could still even have two spades here and continuing with it plus their Qx hands would feel a little more impowered since it is less likely we would have an ace. There is no doubt villain could have QQ here but we cant always be scared of monsters. They will fold a lot here but the hands they would fold to a raise would probably also check fold the river so we would not be getting value from calling here anyway hoping for a river bet. I want to charge any spades that made it this far or someone who thinks their Qx is leading here. We arent playing this for stacks at this point because of the depth were at plus not sure we would want to play for it all anyway so I would raise an amount I think will get called by worse which I would deem to be 38-45BB total.

On the river as played I would have in mind that we could be facing (but doubt it) QQ since they 3 barreled but they bet really small for having QQ. I would think villain would want to go larger with QQ knowing we have an ace a lot of the time. I would read this as a blocker bet and is someone who probably has Qx. I would raise as you did but go much smaller trying to induce a crying call. I like a sizing around 50BB total for the raise.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree in large part with some guys. I think in this situation we can 4bet pre flop our opponents, because on those positions: button and small blind sometimes can have weak hands. Small blind is specific position, because good players from this position often will 3bet pre flop many ax hands when opponent from the button will steal usually with wide range. So I think in this situation sometimes we will have the best hand. As you can see player from the small blind had weak ace. As played - I play similar to hero. I don't suppose too many suited connector hands in range player from the small blinds, I see in his range only Ax suited hands, GL :)

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4-bet pre.

As played, if he's tight the river should be a call. If he's tight and bad, then a shove is fine.

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB player VPIP 24/13-bet 5%?

You can add 100% fish to the stats.