$2 NLHE 6-max: TPGK on single colour flop - turn line?

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 143 BB (VPIP: 28.85, PFR: 19.23, 3Bet Preflop: 14.81, hands: 54)
SB: 104.5 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 66.67, Hands: 6)
BB: 148.5 BB (VPIP: 39.13, PFR: 21.74, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 23)
Hero (UTG): 341 BB
CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:spade: Q:spade:

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) 5:diamond: Q:diamond: J:diamond:
SB checks, Hero bets 7 BB, SB calls 7 BB

Turn: (21 BB, 2 players) J:heart:
SB checks, Hero ???

Do we get another value-bet in here? If so, how much?
Do we fold to a check-raise?
Or are we giving up because he called a pot-sized bet on that flop?

M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C-bet flop smaller, like 66-70% like a standard c-bet. You're making your hand too transparent, and by potting it you're isolating yourself against a stronger range. Turn is clear check back. River bluff-catch or fold depending on reads/make thin value bet if he checks.

Trabendo_daze

Trabendo_daze

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Minh you think that he's never calling the turn with the Ad, Kd or say QT?

Personally I'd lean towards betting this turn. There aren't many Jx in his range and I think we're good a lot of the time and want to extract value.

M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never mind haha. Think I misread the hand. Turn should be a bet especially since we don't have a diamond. We can get value from naked diamonds like Ad/Kd, weaker queens, and maybe sticky PP with a diamond. River should be a check back though, as it's hard for a worse hand to call a 3rd barrel on this board.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once the board pairs we are starting to get thin here.

Worse hands are unlikely calling bets on turn.. id check and hope to induce river bluffs or do thin value bet on riv

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C-bet flop smaller, like 66-70% like a standard c-bet. You're making your hand too transparent, and by potting it you're isolating yourself against a stronger range.
I fully agree with you here. I realized as soon as I did it that I was turning my hand face-up: good made hand without flush draw.
When he calls and that J pairs, I didn't think I was ahead of a good part of his range any more.

I checked back, planning to call a non-diamond river bet or giving up otherwise.

Action played out like this:

Turn: (21 BB, 2 players) J:heart:
SB checks, Hero checks

River: (21 BB, 2 players) K:diamond:
SB checks, Hero checks

SB shows K:club: Q:club: (Two Pair, Kings and Queens)
(Pre 50%, Flop 50%, Turn 50%)
Hero shows K:spade: Q:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Queens)
(Pre 50%, Flop 50%, Turn 50%)
SB wins 10 BB
Hero wins 10BB

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, bet the turn so you can control the river action. If you bet, and your opponent calls, they are likely checking the river. Then you can decide if you're betting or checking behind. If you check the turn, you don't protect your equity, and more importantly, don't control the pot anymore. It's true there's not a ton of hands that will call the turn, but there are some combo draw hands that will and if you size it correctly, you'll make more long term by betting the turn.

PokerNinja91

PokerNinja91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. Bet smaller on the flop to keep his range wider and also for pot control, bet turn the same 60-75%
I disagree that the turn bet is too thin. This is 2NL, thin value bets are where all of our win rate comes from as players these limits WILL call down with worse, I wouldn't be surprised to see him call down with a hand like 66 with a diamond.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check back the flop. BA/WB spot.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, bet the turn so you can control the river action. If you bet, and your opponent calls, they are likely checking the river. Then you can decide if you're betting or checking behind. If you check the turn, you don't protect your equity, and more importantly, don't control the pot anymore. It's true there's not a ton of hands that will call the turn, but there are some combo draw hands that will and if you size it correctly, you'll make more long term by betting the turn.

What size do your suggest?? 2/3 ?