$2 NLHE 6-max: TP decent kicker in multi-way pot.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We decided we arn't laying down top pair with multi-way action here, feels like a big mistake most of the time?

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $1.98 (99 bb)
MP: $4.15 (208 bb)
CO: $1.69 (85 bb)
BU (Hero): $1.97 (99 bb)
SB: $2.90 (145 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with K J
UTG calls $0.02, MP raises to $0.10, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.24, 2 players fold, UTG calls $0.22, MP calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.75) T 5 J (3 players)
UTG bets $0.13, MP calls $0.13, Hero raises to $0.50, UTG calls $0.37, MP calls $0.37

Turn: ($2.25) 8 (3 players)
UTG bets $1.24 (all-in), MP folds, Hero calls $1.23 (all-in)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of my many weaknesses that I am trying to work on is 3 bet frequency so take what I write with a grain of salt since its a weakness for me. I personally think the hand might play better as a 3 bet here as you did, although sizing needs to be more, but I probably still in game just call here and consider folding depending on what type of player MP villain is. I know that is a tough tight for 6 max which I dont usually play but it would at least cross my mind here.

On the flop UTG donk leads small which to me can easily mean they are trying to enduce something here or it could easily be they have a draw and want to see if they can get to the turn cheaply. I think the bet is too small to just call here so I like raising, especially after 3 betting, and if we are to raise your sizing seems good to me although 45 cents probably would have worked as well. Once I get called though by both in your shoes I am not feeling good and want to just get to showdown.

On the turn Im hating when we get jammed and I think we are beat here. UTG is jamming into two players and we just raised the previous street. There are hands that could do this depending on villain that we are ahead of like 67 spades and even 98 spades but I think those are unlikely. UTG called a big raise (to them) pre, then called a big raise on the flop and now are jamming the turn. I dont think that is a line where top pair K kicker should feel comfortable against. A pure spade draw by villain would just jam flop imo so I discount that.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KJo is a decent enough hand to raise with from a lot of positions but 3-betting it with a UTG limper and MP raise is stretching it quite a bit too far. For reference, solvers are 3-betting KJo vs a MP raise only at a 10% frequency and folding the rest. Considering there's still another dude in the hand just fold pre.

The problem with unsuited lower broadway hands is that if you hit you either don't get paid because the other guy has nothing or you lose your entire stack because you're dominated. If you want to incorporate 3-bet bluff combo's A3s A4s A5s (keep in mind to fold on a board containing an ace versus heavy aggression in 3-bet pots with these hands though) and weak suited kings are often good candidates because you can profitably continue on more board textures and have the chance of hitting (near) nut flushes.

The way you played the hand is also a little too optimistic for my taste. You can try to go to showdown cheaply, but facing heavy aggression it's often better to give up (at least at the micro's).

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I'm not sure KJ is a good 3-bet from the button though it depends on MP stats. I suppose its okay if you're really good at post flop play, but it can lead to some real tricky spots like this where you're getting it in with top pair and no real idea of where you are.

I'd slow down with it.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also forgot to add. It's not that common anymore, but some people still open limp with AA and KK to try to induce some action so watch out for that as well.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We decided we arn't laying down top pair with multi-way action here, feels like a big mistake most of the time?

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with K J
UTG calls $0.02, MP raises to $0.10, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.24, 2 players fold, UTG calls $0.22, MP calls $0.14

I dislike the 3-bet. What kind of range is Hero playing that KJoff 3-Bets. When Hero 3Bets there is $0.25 in the pot and after deducting a dime for MP's raise the 3-bet is $0.14 or 2/3s pot. That is light IMHO. I would prefer making it $0.35 to go.

[B said:
Flop:[/B] ($0.75) T 5 J(3 players)
UTG bets $0.13, MP calls $0.13, Hero raises to $0.50, UTG calls $0.37, MP calls $0.37

Hero hits the flop, but can not be sure he is good. AJ and JJ are killing him. The spade draw complicates things. UTG bet is very small, 1/8 pot, and is suspect. Is she trying to get calls or trying to set the price for a draw? MP's call looks weak to me. Hero's top pair good kicker is not a 3-street bet and is definitely not a re-raise. The stack sizes are also a problem. $0.50 is 1/3 of Hero's remaining stack and the re-raise leaves a less than 2/3s pot size or smaller bet left behind. I would just call and trying an see a cheap show down. Hero is giving cheap draws,but his hand is not that strong.

[B said:
Turn:[/B] ($2.25) 8(3 players)
UTG bets $1.24 (all-in), MP folds, Hero calls $1.23 (all-in)
The all in bet is ugly and looks very strong, but can Hero afford to fold after putting 1/2 of his stack in getting odds? I make a crying call expecting to shown a straight or 3 of a kind.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJo is a decent enough hand to raise with from a lot of positions but 3-betting it with a UTG limper and MP raise is stretching it quite a bit too far. For reference, solvers are 3-betting KJo vs a MP raise only at a 10% frequency and folding the rest. Considering there's still another dude in the hand just fold pre.

The problem with unsuited lower broadway hands is that if you hit you either don't get paid because the other guy has nothing or you lose your entire stack because you're dominated. If you want to incorporate 3-bet bluff combo's A3s A4s A5s (keep in mind to fold on a board containing an ace versus heavy aggression in 3-bet pots with these hands though) and weak suited kings are often good candidates because you can profitably continue on more board textures and have the chance of hitting (near) nut flushes.

The way you played the hand is also a little too optimistic for my taste. You can try to go to showdown cheaply, but facing heavy aggression it's often better to give up (at least at the micro's).

In 6 handed MP is LJ. On GTO wizard BTN is 3-betting KJo versus LJ RFI roughly 16.5%. I do agree with you I could fold here but I think it has some merit for a 3-bet bluff on the BTN. With suited aces I think its probably better to call with implied odds hands and 3-bet hands like this because they have blockers , I think I should have 3-bet larger in hindsight if I was going to probably at least 3x.

If a tricky limper 4-bet pre I am certainly folding

Last edited:
H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like you have a pretty solid strategy. Just remember that unsuited non-premium broadway play super awkward post-flop :)

Last edited:
C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dislike the 3-bet. What kind of range is Hero playing that KJoff 3-Bets. When Hero 3Bets there is $0.25 in the pot and after deducting a dime for MP's raise the 3-bet is $0.14 or 2/3s pot. That is light IMHO. I would prefer making it $0.35 to go.

Hero hits the flop, but can not be sure he is good. AJ and JJ are killing him. The spade draw complicates things. UTG bet is very small, 1/8 pot, and is suspect. Is she trying to get calls or trying to set the price for a draw? MP's call looks weak to me. Hero's top pair good kicker is not a 3-street bet and is definitely not a re-raise. The stack sizes are also a problem. $0.50 is 1/3 of Hero's remaining stack and the re-raise leaves a less than 2/3s pot size or smaller bet left behind. I would just call and trying an see a cheap show down. Hero is giving cheap draws,but his hand is not that strong.

The all in bet is ugly and looks very strong, but can Hero afford to fold after putting 1/2 of his stack in getting odds? I make a crying call expecting to shown a straight or 3 of a kind.

Well written analysis, thank you for taking the time to write this out. Appreciate the feedback and after thinking about your points I agree with everything you said here. After reading your thoughts it brings to light how much I need to work on paying attention to stack depths and eff stack in relation to the pot. I’m learning alot from posts like this was very informative.