Flop: ($0.15) J 8 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.07, Hero raises to $0.18, CO calls $0.11

Turn: ($0.51) Q (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($0.51) T (2 players)
Hero bets $0.14, CO calls $0.14

Total pot: $0.79 (Rake: $0.03)

Showdown:
MP (Hero) shows J 7 (a flush, Queen high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 33%, Flop: 49%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

CO mucks J 9 (a straight, Eight to Queen)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 67%, Flop: 51%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

MP (Hero) wins $0.76

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
This hand is not good enough to open, when you are second to act, so just fold. You need at least J9s to open here, and even that is a little bit on the loose side.

Flop
I would just go for a standard C-bet here. You dont have a great kicker, but a lot of draws can call, and you also benefit at least a little bit from folding out equity. Alternatively your hand also play well as a check-call. I honestly dont understand, what this check-raise is for? Are you trying to make him fold a better hand or to get called by worse?

Turn
Just bet for value. He is not going to do a lot of betting when checked to, after you check-raised him on the flop.

River
At least you bet now, but its way to small. On a board like this, where there is an obvious straight, you could even go for an overbet. But at the minimum bet something like 35c into the 51c pot.

Conclusion
I seem to me like, you are suffering a bit from Fancy Play Syndrom. You find all sorts of excuses to not lead out, when you are out of position. Also you need to clean up your preflop game.

Last edited:
0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Fold J7s I wouldn’t open in MP - as said rather J9s+

Flop
XR is fine on such a Board in higher levels to balance checkfolding range. But as 2NL is usually passive, I would just CB flop and then DB turn.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Non-standard poker hand. The opponent was very attentive to the board, despite your check with a flush. You could win a huge pot by making a check-re-raise (all in) on the river, provoking the opponent's bet.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Leveling Wars, Episode I: The Fish Menace

PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.75 (138 bb)
MP (Hero): $2.05 (103 bb)
CO: $2.59 (130 bb)
BU: $0.95 (48 bb)
SB: $2.37 (119 bb)
BB: $2.09 (105 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with J 7
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, CO calls $0.06, 3 players fold

Flop: ($0.15) J 8 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.07, Hero raises to $0.18, CO calls $0.11

Turn: ($0.51) Q (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($0.51) T (2 players)
Hero bets $0.14, CO calls $0.14

Total pot: $0.79 (Rake: $0.03)

Showdown:
MP (Hero) shows J 7 (a flush, Queen high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 33%, Flop: 49%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

CO mucks J 9 (a straight, Eight to Queen)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 67%, Flop: 51%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

MP (Hero) wins $0.76

Hello there Bluebottle88, thanks for posting your hand!
It seems that preflop, J7s is your bottom range from the MP:

22+, A8s+, A5s-A2s, K9s+, Q8s+, J7s+, T9s, ATo+, KJo+ (18.25%)

I don't know if you play all the suited aces from MP, so I removed A6s-A7s.
Well, this is a very complicated hand to play out of position. I don't open J7s everytime from MP, neither from CO I open the 3 gapper combos a 100% of times.
If this is a Zoom table, even more hard: many regulars are going to play very tight in zoom tables, utilizing 15% to 20% at maximum, even in 6-max games, because the ammount of fishes is outstanding.
That being said, it is not right or wrong to open these combos from EP, but we must be very sure that the players left to act (CO, BTN, SB and BB) are really NITs or Whales: if they are NIT's when they call you, you will be dominated for better jacks almost always.
If they are whales, they are going to level a lot against you by calling and 3-betting. When a fish in the CO calls your raise and there are another whales to act, give up, unless you get a pretty decent equity postflop.
We see that there aren't too many good scenarios for J7s to play out of position postflop, as the hand shows, Villain called and you were dominated for J9.

Flop ranges

I love to have a checking range out of position, most of times, but when I have such a dominated hand in a very connected board like this, I will not go checking:
From MP we usually have AJ, KJ, QJ, , 88+, so this flop hits very good our value range, and we must be betting here most for protection: we need to protect our range that doesn't have a flush draw, or a hearts in its combos.
The check-raise is a line that I am more inclined to go, out of position, by bluffing: mixing some air stuff in a very low frequency at the micros with some whiffed draws such as T9, Q9, QT, KQ, 97 (?), and 22-77, specially if these hands contains one combo of hearts, which turns our check-raise bluff +EV in the long run, because our hands will have more chance to hit tunrs/rivers when Villains calls.
A check-raise for value here I don't know if I love, because great part of my range here doesn't have the flush draw of hearts, the AJ, KJ, QJ, and 88+, in the best case scenario we will have one hearts in these combos, but if we have a hearts on our combos, that turns our value hand too strong to be bluffing, by check-raising.
When you do check-raise here you are bluffing all of your value range: some smart can make exploitative folds here when you are in the top of our range and are claiming for protection.
At the micros, I really don't love to play my 3rd nut flush draw with TP7K too aggressive in a scenario like this, because even when I hit a flush I could be already dead for better ones, with Ah and Kh.
However, the check-raise flop is not that bad. I just believe you unbalance your range quite a bit here by doing this. When you check-raise this flop you barely have no bluffs at all: you have a Jx, or you have a flush draw, or you have Jx + FD, or you have J8, that I forgot to mention, 88, JJ, AJ, KJ, where are the hands you bluff here?
You are turning J7s in a very strange bluff in this flop, given that now you have value.
If Villain has a flush draw now with Ah or Kh it is never going to fold. If Villain has two pair with 85, J8, or J9, JT, QJ, if they have a hearts on its combos, also is not going to fold.

The Turn completes a flush

The Qh completes a flush and you decide to check. This looks like some attempt to slow play your hand: when you check-raise flop, means that you will have at least one combo of hearts with your value range: we have 88+ here, we have a lot of TPTK, Two Pair, and sets in a board like this, and all of those needs protection, for some rivers when comes another hearts it is not so good for us, or when river double pairs.

The River completes a Straight

I don't understand your 1/4 pot bet in the river. Was your desire to induce the player in position to re-raise you with dominated hands such as straights, sets and two pair types?
Only real weak players are raising these hands at the micros. However, most of them are going to have serious problems in folding these hands when it comes a very strong bet in the river, and in fact, they shouldn't to protect their range from some random bluffs.
It is very hard now to fold a straight, two pair and sets if you go for 70% of even 100% pot.
I believe that if you bet more than 100% pot some players are going to overfold TPTK and some Two Pair hands and there is always the risk of the player shoving all in putting you in a very strange position with your 3rd nut flush, because you will have the odds to call.
If BTN is a weak player, a recreational one, you can safely bet turn for value and bet river for value because it will be very hard for it to fold a straight, and if you make the pot grow, better for you:
We see that in this scenario, Villain in position called a check-raise flop with a very dominated Jack: J9 is simply dominated by JT, QJ, KJ, AJ. Very simple, but the player in position had a runner-runner straight (also dominated by MP) and because of it, decided to call the check-raise.
On the turn, the Qh is a good card for Villain's range, because now, if it has QJ, Q8, J8, JT, J9, or even better combos such as AJ and KJ, it is not going to fold to a decent bet in the turn. Something between 1/2 pot and 65% would do the work just fine.
When completes a Td on the river we can go again for a pot bet or a 80% pot bet, because now there are too many hands in V's range that are going to call here for protection, and some crazy fishes are going to re-raise you here with straights and two pair types, you must know before the hand starts, who you are playing with.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't do an open raise from an MP position with such a weak hand. We got into a difficult situation on the flop. We have a top pair with a bad kicker+ a weak flush draw and play check / raise. which hands are you trying to knock out this way? The top pair with a better kicker will make a call. You inflated the pot with a mediocre hand. You should have played bet/call using pot odds. Our flush closed on the turn. You play the check-it's reasonable. You make too small a bet on the river. I understand that you are not sure that you will be paid flush, but at least 1/2pot

Full Flush Poker